• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Lectrotab Trim Tabs

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Bruce looking at the pictures you don't appear to have any shim's. Can you confirm?
That is correct. I was able to mount them without shims. I reversed the direction of the actuator at the bottom mount then rotated the shaft until it lined up for mounting. I believe that Lectrotab will ship the Yamaha kits with the actuator reversed. I used a punch to do so and confirmed with Lectrotab that it was an acceptable way to mount.

I have 60 miles on my tabs so far and am very happy with them.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Bruce do the trim tabs interfer with the transom tie down straps?
They do not in the up position in the exact location that I installed them. I may change the position of the straps in the future to further separate the straps from the tabs.

__ScottyDont

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Bruce Thanks for the info, this looks like a pretty straight forward easy install. I may bundle this into next winter's installs with my underwater LED's! The less times I'm down there sealing holes the better! What would you say 6 or 7 holes per trim tab?

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Bruce What would you say 6 or 7 holes per trim tab?
Thought I replied earlier but I so not see it.

It is 9 screws for each tab and 3 for each actuator. They are sealed with 3M 5200.

Last year it had a slow leak into the bilge. This year I have replaced the scupper and drain, filled the factory transducer holes, added new transducer holes and added the trim tabs. Each hole has been sealed with life caulk or 5200. So far the bilge has been dry on each of my three outings. So I suggest not being afraid of drilling holes just seal them correctly.

steined

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Do these allow for getting on plane at lower speeds? I find it difficult to go anywhere under 20 on plane and would like to be a little slower at times. I seem to recall my smart tabs on my old stingray getting me a lower planing speed in addition to the reduced porposing.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I am interested in some of the same detail that @steined is asking. But my specific interest isn't in boat wakes, which can be varied in frequency, duration, and length. It is in steady wind driven waves, as that is what I deal with most in boating on Ray Roberts or Texoma on a 15-20mph day in big open lake water. The comparison to ocean swells/wave sets just won't compare, nor will comparing with flat walled channels or lakes that have numerous boat wakes to deal with, although this is more similar. What I would like to see if your report on crossing open water on Lake Ouchita when the wind is blowing as mentioned above. With your view on the tabs ability to offset the lift and slam when increasing speed. I was at first impressed with my 240...until I faced a similar day and slammed the bow a few times trying to run more than about 20mph. What I am after, is a mod that will let me pick up or keep up my speed, and cut through wave sets that are closely spaced, and 2-4 feet deep...even 5 feet deep in the trough. It isn't the first set that gets you, it is the 3rd, 4th, and 5th. And while the depth will vary, as will the crest, it is the repeated frequency that pounds the boat...something I hate to do. So I find myself slowing to accomodate the rollers and cushion the blow by offsetting at an angle or sloshing through without slamming. So hearing about the way the tabs may offset this condition would be well recieved...if it wasn't hyped at all, but just put out at face value. In no way am I saying you have hyped any of this @Bruce , it just has centered around boat wakes, and not steady state rollers. That is what would be important to me. Any light you can shine on this would be great!

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@steined Last Sunday evening we made a 12 mile each way trip to watch the fireworks on Lake Hamilton. Lake Hamilton is a crowded city lake where perhaps a few thousand boats show up for the fireworks. The lake had quite a chop on our way there with regular and repetitive wake from what I would describe as a mixing bowl effect. There are so many individual wakes bouncing around they seem to combine and create waves. My wife looked over at a similar sized similar speed I/O boat as we ran parallel to them and commented about how rough their ride was. They were purposing with more than half of their boat out of the water at each wave. We were cutting through the same waves. She is convinced that the trim tabs were a good investment.

On the way back it was after dark, lots of boaters had been drinking and there were lots of debris in the water. I trimmed down the bow at 16 mph and made the entire 12 mph trip at that speed without having to touch the throttles or trim other than to slow down for two bridges. I was riding at the same angle that I had been at going 30 mph on the way there. I could sit down at the low setting of the seat without the bow blocking my view. Last year I had difficulty sticking below 20 mph when the kids were tubing.

@txav8r, I believe the tabs will help more than anything else in the situation you describe. I will provide feedback once I have experienced similar waves on Ouachita and from the Bimini trip.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Great @Bruce , look forward to your feedback!

Williamsone46

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Out of curiosity, do the trim tabs make a difference in the shape of the wake at surfing or skiing speeds? I've been debating on adding trim tabs to help keep the bow down in rough water. The wake shape question was curiosity.
x2, I'm also curious.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Believe it or not...MY WIFE is actually interested in this mod IF it will smooth out the ride on those choppy days. I'm curious if by keeping the nose down, while cutting through the chop, do you get a lot of spray in your face. If Lectrotab is building a kit for our Yammies do I smell a group buy in our future? :winkingthumbsup"

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Believe it or not...MY WIFE is actually interested in this mod IF it will smooth out the ride on those choppy days. I'm curious if by keeping the nose down, while cutting through the chop, do you get a lot of spray in your face. If Lectrotab is building a kit for our Yammies do I smell a group buy in our future? :winkingthumbsup"
I will keep reporting on my experience with them. In last weeks chop where another similar boat was porposing we were not bouncing and did not have spray over the bow.

There was an Aussie on YJB who had Volvo Interceptors on his 240 or 242 and sung the praises of having trim tabs on 2 to 3 foot waves.

My wife certainly approves the trim tabs.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Do you know what kind of price Lectrotab will be asking for this kit when it's offered?

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We went out for dinner with neighbors last night. On the way there we saw another boat porposing and my wife told the neighbors about how the trim tabs made our ride so much smoother. On the return trip all of the adults sat on the drivers side and the kids on the passenger side. We had a 500 pound weight imbalance. I was able to level the boat with the trim tabs and drive as if the load was balanced.

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Bruce sorry to revive a very old thread, but figured it was beneficial to the site. I was wondering if you could when you have a free minute write up a little bit of a long term review on the trim tabs. I am thinking of installing these since I do a bit of ocean boating in my location and may make a few trips to West End sometime in the future. Do you feel or notice a big difference in the Bimini crossing compared to watching other boats in the group? Is the ACS working good for balance and leveling still? Or is there any tweaks or things you wish you would of done different now? Thanks in advance just trying to get more information since it is a large purchase.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@2nazt, in short the tabs are awesome, my next boat will have them as will each boat after that.

I am not convinced of the value of the ACS for our boats. Next time I would go with something like the Oval LED Control. I do think the ACS would be useful for a larger boat that was rocking side to side.

We have made six Bimini crossings with the tabs. In 2014 and 2016 we found that they made our ride much smoother. For example this year I was at the back of the group when we approached Port Everglades and found that the waves were picking up as usual. I wanted to catch up and accelerated to around 30 as the rest of the group was slowing closer to 20. Around 25 we started to feel painful impacts. I adjusted trim from 50% to 75%. At 75% I could go 30 without any painful impacts. As a tradeoff, pushing the bow down makes spray over the bow more likely. Several in our group applauded as we made a big splash. Enough to soak us to our underwear but not enough to accumulate in the boat.

@justason noticed how much smoother my boat was riding in 2014, I am sure @latitudeadjuster noticed as he saw me making a splash this year.

Some accuse me of cheating when I make the crossing with trim tabs. Sometimes I even turn them off to remember what everyone else is feeling.

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Awesome thank you so much for the time to respond. I wonder if they will still offer these kits and prices as the time approaches for me to make a purchase! Thanks once again for all your time and dedication to this community

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Give them a call. They may still have my specs to build a matching set if not I can dig up the emails. My experience is that they are very helpful and fast.