• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Life lesson learned

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Man oh man I feel your pain.

I invision this cat sucked up a rope, got towed to the ramp by a fellow boater and put the boat on the concrete ramp in reverse. When he backed the trailer into the water he couldn't figure out how to float the boat onto the trailer so he unhitched the trailer and used the truck to pull the boat into the trailer. It was then that the trailer jack bent. On the way home the trailer bounced off of the ball because it was not latched properly and killed your spare. This guy sounds like a grade A jerk nut!
That's a good theory!

I was trying to figure out how the spare got like that...better check those trailer chains/cables real good!

camsbored

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
NA
Being boatless, I have checked out boatbound a few times to see if there was anything decent in the Raleigh area to rent (nope). It's very interesting to hear of your crazy experience! I can't imagine renting a boat and not taking care of it like it was my own, especially if I wanted to be allowed to use it again in the future. I agree with some of the sentiments here, a low-end I/O, or even better, outboard, seems like a better rental boat. I appreciate that you were willing to put your boat up on the site! So, is the life lesson to not trust someone using a rental pickup truck? Or to not rent at all?

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I'm sorry you had such a bad experience, hopefully you just got the exception not the rule when it comes to boat renters but based on what happened to you so far, I wouldn't even consider renting my boat out, ever.

It sounds like the renter left you to figure out what he damaged instead of telling you what he had done. For claim documentation purposes I'd do a thorough check of the entire boat and it's inventory. Renters sometimes do devious things, case in point, I used to rent jetskis and some places made me pay for a tank of gas whether I used it or not, they did not want renters to put gas in their skis because sometimes the renters would put water instead of gas in the tank and they would not find out until the next time they rented it out.

Topper232

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
2 Questions.

1) Does your insurance cover the boat for renters, i.e. if he hit another boat, or does boutbound assume all of that liability?
2) If he sucked up a rope, and drove back on one engine, or was towed back, there's the possibility of water being forced into the motor(s). Do you have tow valves by any chance? Hopefully you checked this out already.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
2 Questions.

1) Does your insurance cover the boat for renters, i.e. if he hit another boat, or does boutbound assume all of that liability?
2) If he sucked up a rope, and drove back on one engine, or was towed back, there's the possibility of water being forced into the motor(s). Do you have tow valves by any chance? Hopefully you checked this out already.
I doubt anybody dumb/careless enough to do all that damage would have known or cared about tow valves. I'm suggesting that you bring the boat to a qualified Yamaha dealer and have Boatbound foot the bill and maybe even have them pay for a rental replacement while you wait for yours to be repaired. I'm sure they wouldn't want this to hit the net as a negative review. I'm sure @rcpd34 has this info but here's a link to Boatbound's insurance coverage for anybody that's interested. https://boatbound.co/insurance Looks like it will cover everything but your aggravation.

Last edited:

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Man....perhaps I should find this guy and rent him my boat????? I have an old spare, a small scratch on the bottom, and an old tow rope..... LOL (I'm kidding of course)

@rcpd34 keep us posted on how this turns out.

This is almost like one of those photo challenges where they ask you to caption it.....write up a creative story about how this idiot did all this damage at the same time! It could be an Inspector Clouseau film clip! (Pink Panther)

davel501

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I would not be surprised if you ended up better than whole on this deal. When rentals are damaged you have to pay rent on the vehicle while it is being fixed (lost use). I would not be surprised if the rental company pays you rent while the boat is in the shop.

I looked at this but my note from GE Cap says no renting the boat. BoatUS had a great offer with them where they would make your deductible $0 if you did this.

96Pirate

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would not be surprised if you ended up better than whole on this deal. When rentals are damaged you have to pay rent on the vehicle while it is being fixed (lost use). I would not be surprised if the rental company pays you rent while the boat is in the shop.

I looked at this but my note from GE Cap says no renting the boat. BoatUS had a great offer with them where they would make your deductible $0 if you did this.
The only problem with this is the quality of the repair work. If they were footing the bill for the rental fees, they would want it done quickly, possibly too quick for the repair to be done properly.

rcpd34

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
**UPDATE** We got the tow rope out and the motor fired right up; NO damage! I'm thrilled. Still waiting on insurance check. I'm thinking about sueing the the guy for loss of use.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Carefully review your rental agreement it sounds like the renter and you don't have profits of contract between eachother but with the rental company / broker. Your contract with the rental company may speak to this as well as if you would be forced into arbitration, etc.

A fee years ago a membe of YJB lost the use of his boat because the company installing his depth finder blew it somehow and caused a fire which led to one of his engines being replaced. That co any ended up paying $2k plus for the owner to rent a boat for a trip he had already planned. So it's possible but as I recall he had to fight for it and the award to him may have jus been a pacifier since he was demanding a new boat not just a new engine with an extended warranty.

brockhals

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Any update on this?

rcpd34

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just a quick follow up. Rope came out no problem. Motor started right up. Trailer stuff all fixed and I'm better than new. Biggest downside was the lost time waiting on the insurance check. I got way lucky! All damage was superficial. I'm picking the boat up tomorrow and heading up to Deep Creek Lake on Sunday.

farrelltravis

Jetboaters Captain
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Good deal! Glad you got all fixed up!

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Glad to hear you're back on the water. I hope you washed all the stupid out of your boat.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Great news, glad youre back in business.

MutherTucker

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Holy crap! I suddenly feel really intelligent!