• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Long time lurker, first post and about to purchase!

Primatenate

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Hey all,

Just wanted to give a big shout out to this forum. I’ve been looking at purchasing a family boat forever but a few months ago the wife gave me the green light and ive been a consistant lurker on the site trying to get as much info as possible.

i was hoping for a little input in purchasing a used 2008 212x thats been staring at me for a few months. Its for sale from a reputable yamaha dealer, it is dirty, has 400 hours and one motor was replaced under warranty (failed oil pump). Aside from needing a detail, any suggestions from you guys would be really appreciated for things to look out for amd be aware of.

Originally the boat was listed for 32k but had dropped slowly to now just below 29k$.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
I don't know where you're located but $29k for that size is way too much for a 12 year old boat. Should be around 20k depending on hours. 400 hours, I wouldn't go that high either. Have you searched boats for sale here in this forum? There always popping up.

:Welcome: to the forum. Great place to be!

Primatenate

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Hey thanks for the response. Im buying from vancouver bc. Canada. Not a lot of yamahas for sale used under 40. 400 hours too much you figure?

Diamondwatercraft

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Look at the NADA value. I searched it for you and it gave me a value between $18000 and $21500. Do not ignore the * when you do your own evaluation on the NADA page that gives you the price. It will include a trailer so no need to add it. Its a generic site used for all makes and models so you can add accessories. The problem is that Yamaha's come with just about everything but the covers. Don't let the owner add in things that the NADA is already pricing like the trailer. It will pump up the price if you tell it to. Good luck Yamaha's are great boats! I have owned 2 and I just sold mine to buy a Sea Doo boat cause I wanted to surf and wake board. 400 hours are nothing to those 1.1 liter engines. They are awesome!! Keep searching! I was running into the same issue with prices too. It seems that they are all high even when its the off season.

Primatenate

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Diamond thanks for the input. Ya 21500 american is 28000 canadian, and they are asking 28999 so on the high end of the estimation. Ive also been reading on the forums that these motors, when taken care of, are really durable and quite a few members on here have claimed really high hours with minimal issues so that makes me feel pretty confident. Also apparently motor maintanance is pretty straight forward (yay!)
Do you have any recommendations for things to look for when i go see it on the trailer this weekend??

Diamondwatercraft

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I could not believe how hard I ran mine and never an issue! I would only go to the low price this time of year. That way if there are any issues at least you are at the low end of the pricing and therefore not out too much money. I love that X series boat!

Primatenate

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Ok thats really good to know diamond. Ya this is our first boat my wife and i are buying and we have 2 toddlers. Unfortunalty im a giant child myself and into all the watwr sports so i wanted a solid “jack of all trade” boat. The only other boat on our radar was a 2006 sanger d215 but i really feel thats way to sports directed and not functional at all for the youngsters. The fact the the X has the ballasts And power really drew me towards it. Well im off to the dealer! Ill keep ya posted.

Primatenate

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Well i saw the boat. Really concerned about the cracks in the gel coat and im unsure whats on the impellers. For 28999 i think the boat needs to be pretty mint, even if its 12 years old. Thoughts??

Attachments

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hey thanks for the response. Im buying from vancouver bc. Canada. Not a lot of yamahas for sale used under 40. 400 hours too much you figure?
i know in Canada the Yamahas are more expensive. If I were you I would buy in theUS and import it. The taxes are significantly less than buying inCanada. I have taken 4 jet skis from Texas to Toronto.

generally speaking our boats can be transported for $1.00 to $1.50 per mile. You find a boat you like and I can help you either brining to border or tell how you can get a good price on uship

Primatenate

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
i know in Canada the Yamahas are more expensive. If I were you I would buy in theUS and import it. The taxes are significantly less than buying inCanada. I have taken 4 jet skis from Texas to Toronto.

generally speaking our boats can be transported for $1.00 to $1.50 per mile. You find a boat you like and I can help you either brining to border or tell how you can get a good price on uship
I never thought about that option!

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Primatenate The stress cracks are prevalent and would concern me too. It does not look like stress cracks from overloading the tower, but from an impact of some kind or previous repair. I wonder what the fiberglass looks like (cracks) on the inside of the hull at that location. Are there similar cracks on the other side, port side, of boat?

Last edited:

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I have a 2008 212X with over 600 hours. It's whole existence has been towing boarders, surfers and large tubes. I have never had any gel coat cracks at the tower supports. I also would be concerned about the condition of the pumps. I don't have experience with it but that appears to be evidence this was a salt water boat. The picture you have of the bow is a ID sticker from Yamaha that they attached at the factory. It had some aggressive glue. It will take some elbow grease but you can remove that.

If you choose to go ahead I would suggest the following:
change the scupper valve
add EZ Locks
verify the ballast fittings don't leak
purchase a service manual
add Boat Buckles
upgrade tower racks
add clamshell over the anchor locker drain
add cupholders
add bluetooth
add grab handle to stern

We have been unsuccessful in wearing ours out after more than a decade of trying. If it was maintained it will last you many years.
Keep us posted.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
That crud on the pumps is due to sitting in a wet slip for a while (fresh water most likely). In and of itself it isnt an issue, but it does impact all the cables and exposed bearing seals. Those cracks look bad too. This should be a fire sale price boat not high retail (which is why it hasn't sold).

Only way I'd buy it is if they replaced all the cables, replaced the shaft seals and repacked the cone bearings. Probably $2k worth of dealer work depending on your dealers labor rates. Even then I'd be low balling the price big time! But better boats to be had for less money. I'd look at import options.

Primatenate

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Hey guys,
Thanks for all your input. I've tried to work with the dealer and they seem to think that negotiating anything is not going to happen. The boat was originally listed for 33k and now is at 28999. Thats what they are holding onto (the price drop already). Its been up for sale for 4 months now and after seeing this and hearing from you guys I feel this one is a wash and not an option for our us. Am I being silly for thinking that spending 30k (after taxes) on a boat that it should be in pretty good condition! or am I just being a wishful thinker?

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
1st are those canedian dollars or USD?
2nd you most defiantly be able to find a good boat for $30k( USD). Enspecialky if you are willing to go down on size. There have been plenty of 190s listed for $17k on this forum.
3rd please keep in mind not to blow all your budget on purchasing the boat. It extremely likely that you will spend at least 10% on mods after you buy the boat. So be strategic with your budget.
4th you got to be patient and wait for the right boat to show up. I know it is hard but you got to wait.

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Thats what they are holding onto (the price drop already). Its been up for sale for 4 months now
Frankly I believe they will continue to hold on to it and it will still be for sale next year at this time. My guess is the dealer took it on trade and gave way too much so now they’re hesitant to take the loss. Keep looking, I’m sure you’ll find something better for less $$$