• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

MAIDEN VOYAGE WAS AWESOME TODAY....AND THEN DISASTER

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@RobbieO That is fantastic news!!! Now Get Navionics on your phone or a chart plotter ;)

fatboyroy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Chartplotter will be worth every single cents. When you have it, you know the depth of water around you and throughout your route.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@RobbieO

When you flush those engines in the driveway. Use this order ONLY.
  1. Engine Start
  2. Water on
  3. Do the things you want done while engine is running.
  4. Water off
  5. Engine stop
Do not turn on the water until the engine is running and do not stop the engine until the water is off.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Well by the grace of God or whatever....no damage...Whatever was rattling around yesterday preventing the starboard engine from cranking fast enough to start, must of fell out on the way home. Have NO idea how that is possible. The cylinders are bone dry, the oil still looks new, and no apparent damage to the impeller. Hopefully the shaft splines are not stripped, and the impeller actually turns. She purrs like a kitten right now. Going to flush the engines out and make sure I got good flow. Thanks everyone for your positive vibes. They worked!
Awesome news! You probably just had a large rock in the impeller area....its sounds terrible when that happens. Water flow while driving the boat on one engine keeps the rock in the impeller, but once on the trailer, and bouncing down the road, the rock falls out of the impeller area, slides down the intake out out the grate (if its loose). Otherwise, you pull the pump and yank it out. Pulling the pump is easy - something I recommend you do to be familiar with the process (the reverse gate attachment is a spring loaded ball joint - definitely learn that, so that you can disconnect it on the water if you ever get gravel in the gate- many people, dealers included don't realize its spring loaded - I watched a dealer video where they instruct you to remove the bolt! Duh!). Once you know how the mechanism works....you can do it almost blind with a strong finger nail.

See the images in this thread for photos of that connection point:

bigwaves

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
As others have stated, please get a chart plotter. Either a stand alone unit installed or at least Navionics installed on your phone or iPad. 976E1231-B7A7-4332-899F-AA311901892F.jpeg

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
...but once on the trailer, and bouncing down the road, the rock falls out of the impeller area, slides down the intake out out the grate...
"Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't."
1614801950922.png

--

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well by the grace of God or whatever....no damage...Whatever was rattling around yesterday preventing the starboard engine from cranking fast enough to start, must of fell out on the way home. Have NO idea how that is possible. The cylinders are bone dry, the oil still looks new, and no apparent damage to the impeller. Hopefully the shaft splines are not stripped, and the impeller actually turns. She purrs like a kitten right now. Going to flush the engines out and make sure I got good flow. Thanks everyone for your positive vibes. They worked!
Fantastic news!
Now, tell the wife you were conducting well-planned grounding accident mitigation drills - to improve safety for family trips.

She will tell you - you need to buy a chart plotter.

--

Chatt_Jetsetter

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
I took my 2021 212SE out for her maiden voyage today. Perfect weather, sunny, no wind, water was like glass all day. I was breaking her in so I never went over 30 mph, just fast enough to plane. Those engines were purring. I was the only one on the lake except for numerous fishermen. I was heading back to to the launch which was on the other side of the lake, maybe 6 miles. I came across some buoys that I thought were 5 mph buoys, but by the time I realized my mistake the low depth warning was blazing away, and I was stuck big time. I killed the engines immediately. I couldn't free the boat, so the Sheriff had to pull me off. Once I was free, the port engine started fine. The starboard engine sounded like a gravel mixer, and would crank but not start. So I headed back to the launch on the port engine. After I put it on the trailer, I was amazed the damage was limited. A testament to a well built boat. So my boat has less than 4 hours on it and I'm down to one engine. I'm screwed. Haven't told the wifey yet, and I guess I can kiss my extended warranty goodbye. Any ideas on how to get the rocks and sand out of the pump? Pray for me.....
Ouch, man that's just the worst, I feel for you. EDIT: I replied after reading your initial post; now I've read all 3 pages, fantastic news! SO glad it worked out the way it did. Got a great group of people here on the forums with a lot of knowledge!

Last edited:

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

WildCatFan54

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@Julian , Is this the same (the ball & socket part) on eSeries boats? I did the "absolute neutral" on my previous AR240 but not sure about the 242SE ? The bucket is always full up with the engines off and much tougher to see in there. Haven't had any reason to do it yet but like everyone else , I need to be prepared for unforeseen future situations.

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
Fantastic news!
Now, tell the wife you were conducting well-planned grounding accident mitigation drills - to improve safety for family trips.

--
Actually, my wife said, "Don't worry honey, I have money"....🤣

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
Fantastic news!

--
Well the boat has a great GPS system and shows all the necessary information. All the boat needs is a pilot who is paying FN attention! My wife is more worried about the scratches under the hull, because she know I'm a freakazoid about cosmetics. I'll eventually get the damage fixed.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
:winkingthumbsup" , did you learn that line from your Coast Guard daughter ?
No.
However, my CG wife was delighted to hear someone had her confused with the daughter.
She says thank you.
:cool:

--

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
Chartplotter will be worth every single cents. When you have it, you know the depth of water around you and throughout your route.
The boat has a depth finder that works great. I was watching it all day, except when it mattered. And the alarm works well too!

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
Awesome news! You probably just had a large rock in the impeller area....its sounds terrible when that happens. Water flow while driving the boat on one engine keeps the rock in the impeller, but once on the trailer, and bouncing down the road, the rock falls out of the impeller area, slides down the intake out out the grate (if its loose). Otherwise, you pull the pump and yank it out. Pulling the pump is easy - something I recommend you do to be familiar with the process (the reverse gate attachment is a spring loaded ball joint - definitely learn that, so that you can disconnect it on the water if you ever get gravel in the gate- many people, dealers included don't realize its spring loaded - I watched a dealer video where they instruct you to remove the bolt! Duh!). Once you know how the mechanism works....you can do it almost blind with a strong finger nail.

See the images in this thread for photos of that connection point:
One thing I learned today, when you move the throttles, the gates don't move unless the key is on. FLY BY WIRE

Bizywk

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Whew.... Great news.

Crob83

Jetboaters Commander