• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

N2k communication error

4pnst8ers

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have a 2012 sx210 that is throwing a N2k communication and a speed comm error. None of my instruments other than tach will work to include fuel. Have tried all recs dealing with battery and fuses with no luck. Have checked all connections on dash are and they look fine.

Dealer has a 6 week wait and won’t put me on the list unless boat sits there which would wipe summer out. Boat is running 100 percent fine other than this.

Does anyone have any recommendations for what to try or do next ?

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

4pnst8ers

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Fuse looks good and no work under the helm. Tried to see if any lose connections but all looks good from my untrained eye.

Any other thoughts ?

dav3m

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@4pnst8ers I have a similar issue on my 2012 SX210. If I acknowledge the speed comm and n2k comm error, so the alarm (AL) error shows on the display. I can see good readings for RPM, fuel etc but water temp, air temp, speed, depth are all missing. I got a cable and YDS software from Ebay and if I connect that to the connections in the engine bay, I get data and everything on both engines looks great. Connecting the software to the test connections under the helm shows no data at all. So I'm currently thinking that the connection issue might between the AirMar thru hull transducer since all the data is missing would be sourced from that. I've just taken the panel off around the cleanout access to get a better view into the cabling to the transducer and trace the cable routing & connections.

Other things I've tried - replaced and fully charged the battery, reseated all the connections to the gauges at he helm.

I purchased 30 day access to the full service manual, but that was next to useless for both troubleshooting the issue or even describing on the N2K network. Maybe its in their somewhere but the online manual viewing software is terrible.

4pnst8ers

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Are you just going to use the yds the and not worry about the main instruments ? What is a yds by the way ? 🤦🏽‍♂️

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Last edited:

dav3m

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So I went with my gut given that the only reading missing were the depth, speed and water temp... I ordered a new Airmar DST800 triducer and just hooked it up out of the boat and the errors are gone :winkingthumbsup". I ordered the cheapest version of the DST I could find $215 vs. $450+ for the Yamaha branded version and rewired it (soldering and sealing the connections). According to the Airmar cross reference it has the exactly same characteristics.

PNW boater

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Curious to hear if this repair works throughout this summer. I had intermittent N2k issues last year, then they seem to have gone away. The shop looked at it a couple times and couldn't find any faults...