• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Yamaha Diagnostic System (YDS)...how to read your hours and errors

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
what version of YDS do you have? v1.32 or v1.33

2002expsd

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'll have to check on that. Once I installed it I updated it through the yds application.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Yes. Set it to com port 1 in device manager. If it helps I'm running Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit on a Panasonic cf-31 toughbook. I have 4 usb ports. I tried all of them.
What error are you getting? "Failed to communicate"?

I assume you have a knock off cable? Did it come with a driver?

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Looking to see if there is anyone in the new Orleans area that could assist me in getting my yds to communicate with the ecm. I have read all 5 pages on here and tried every trick and get the same result.
What does it tell you when try?

2002expsd

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
This is the version I have.
This is the error message i get.
Yes eBay knockoff Cable.
Yes came with driver and disk.

Attachments

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Bumping the starter/key to turn motor over without starting?

2002expsd

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yes

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I ordered Yamaha Yds version 1.33 on Ebay. The seller advertised it works with windows 10. It did after my wife followed the instructions, a bit of a techy, and got her Spectre 360 to recognize com port 1. I was very pleased with the readings, as I had thought there were 60 more hours on the engines. There was a Overheat warning about 30 hours prior, which coincides with mud dobber wasps plugging up the water outlets on the starboard side of boat. One pic. is a screen shot the other is an excel file.2017-05-12 (3).png 20170513_111726.jpgScreen shot is port engine. Very relieved at the outcome.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I ordered Yamaha Yds version 1.33 on Ebay. The seller advertised it works with windows 10. It did after my wife followed the instructions, a bit of a techy, and got her Spectre 360 to recognize com port 1. I was very pleased with the readings, as I had thought there were 60 more hours on the engines. There was a Overheat warning about 30 hours prior, which coincides with mud dobber wasps plugging up the water outlets on the starboard side of boat. One pic. is a screen shot the other is an excel file.View attachment 55763 View attachment 55764Screen shot is port engine. Very relieved at the outcome.
Could you elaborate on what exactly she did for future non techy folks?

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Murf'n'surf Yes I will ask her, when she gets back later, to elaborate what she did to get her computers device manager to recognize com port 1, as it did not before she did something. I was skeptical of the seller from Latvia shipped from Lithuania, but she said she followed his instructions on the cd and fannagled, that is a technical term, her computers windows 10 to recognize com port 1 where it did not have ports listed. Sorry I cannot help more, its a little over my pay grade. But she said it was easy. I did remove this piece from the cable, it got stuck in the port engine yds connector and I could not get it plugged back together.
20170513_145723.jpg Found it unnecessary. It might be to protect pins during shipping.

Last edited:

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Murf'n'surf This is what my wife said, her words in quotes "Following the directions from the seller from Latvia or Lithuania or wherever, lol...when you buy the CD you get a read me file and also drivers updates firmware. Follow the read me step by step. Aka, it says to do one thing first, the COM Port 1 or 2 first. Then it says to update/download driver for YDS. Do that. Obviously you need to be connected to wifi....If you don't do that in sequence, you get a communication error. Then when you are actually at the boat, connect the cord to the engine, bump the engine, then plug it in your SAME usb slot on computer you used....and open the Yamaha YDS program.....also remember to have key in the on position when testing.....".....:)) If you have any questions she will do her best to answer them.

spaz944

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I just bought the cable and software for the YDS. I haven't tried it yet but hope to soon. I am getting a check engine light on my port engine. I hope it is nothing too severe. I got caught in a storm last year and was traversing 4-5 foot waves when the alarm first came on. I had no choice but to put the hammer down and get to safer water. Hopefully its nothing big. It seems like a lot of people on here have seen a lot worse and survived the ordeal.

mraz72

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
this cable and software work on 2016 and newer boats? The software typically comes with the cable off of ebay correct?

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Michael Rasmussen The software and cable I bought, from Ebay, was the 1.33 version for 2012 and older boats, I believe you will need the 2.13 version for for your 2016.

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Here is a screen shot of a seller on Ebay from Moscow, Russian Federation. He sells 1.33, but not for windows 10. This is what he says...Screen shot 2017-05-15 at 6.15.11 AM.png

Amar Nanduri

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
This is interesting reading :). Now I am curious about my engines as I got a used 2010 ar240. Can anyone provide a link on eBay for the YDS for a 2010 boat ? Or anyone in northern Virginia area having the YDS software to diagnose or for me to borrow? I want to get my engine readings before my trip to Bimini and get any issues fixed beforehand.

Best
Amar

Joey

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Does anyone know if I can use either the K-Line port or the CAN port as an adapter to nmea 2000?

2016 Yamaha 190 FSH Sport

Mike Moody

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Having issues using my YDS I've scoured every set of instructions I can find using v 1.33 YDS dongle I got off eBay running it on a new windows 10 laptop trying to get hours for my 2007 Yamaha SX 230 I've followed all the instructions been trouble shooting this for hours it's on Comm port 1, all the good stuff, I've sequenced it in 20 different ways, connect engine, bump, connect laptop, run software and every other way

Tried it on both engines several times, uninstalled and reinstalled the software and driver's multiple times, restarted etc. Still getting communication errror.

I'm on dry land without wifi or water so been "bumping" maybe it's my use of the engine my understanding is that bumping is just turning the key to on and blipping the engine without actually starting it and leaving the key in the on position. Maybe that's not starting up the ECM I'm literally just blipping it for quarter of a second.

It's been a while trying to get this to work, any advice?