• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Yamaha Diagnostic System (YDS)...how to read your hours and errors

Spectre170

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Engine hours from the YDS logs.

Port:
Engine speed Time[h]
- 2000 r/min 87.51
2000 - 4000 r/min 35
4000 - 6000 r/min 66.68
6000 - 8000 r/min 5.62
8000 - 10000 r/min 0
10000 - 12000 r/min 0
Engine hours 194.8

Starboard:
Engine speed Time[h]
- 2000 r/min 88.97
2000 - 4000 r/min 34.41
4000 - 6000 r/min 63.83
6000 - 8000 r/min 7.26
8000 - 10000 r/min 0
10000 - 12000 r/min 0
Engine hours 194.4

Can anyone guess which way our lake traffic goes and the side we surf from by this data??? LOL!!

Looks like we average about 65 hours per season.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hey! I didn't think those worked on 2012s! Gotta get me one...

sergio75

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
hi, I have a ar230 2006, and I believe I found the connector to the yds cable, but how do I know whis is the port and wich is the starboard one? as you say they are in the same location....

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
hi, I have a ar230 2006, and I believe I found the connector to the yds cable, but how do I know whis is the port and wich is the starboard one? as you say they are in the same location....
Should be labeled. If not, pull one plug while both motors are running and you'll lose the tach to the one you pulled apart.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So I went and bought one of the cables off eBay, taking a chance that it would work on my year. It does! Got nice, crispy data. On the 2012's the ports are behind the plastic plate on the starboard side next to the engines. Pull off the plate, reach in and pull out the wire mass.

Oh, by the way, the screws are not magnetic, in case you are putting them on your little screw holder on your drill. That will result in their falling beneath the engine. Ask me how I know.

As to which engine is which, mine were written on the side of the connector RP2 and RS2 (the P and S for Port and Starboard, I figure).

2010snake

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaRay
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Hi guys, new member , an a big fan , I've been reading your blogs for a while an help me a lot .
I'm going to come right out, I have a z250hp , bought 2 but the port side was shot so I installed the starboard right in the middle...runs good but keeps bogging down won't past 2400 rpm...replace all mistery filters hp and lp pumps , injectors, try an outside tank, vst filters, spark plugs ...now I'm thinking it has to be a sensor problem but can't scan it
I order the cable and the cd driver but can't get it to download the driver on my laptop and tried two other laptops to find the same issue .
Cd won't even run by itself , I have to manually open it , then when I hook it to the outboard won't communicate .
Really desperate here !
Or if anybody in New York can help me scan it , I would really appreciate!
Thanks in advance

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Hi guys, new member , an a big fan , I've been reading your blogs for a while an help me a lot .
I'm going to come right out, I have a z250hp , bought 2 but the port side was shot so I installed the starboard right in the middle...runs good but keeps bogging down won't past 2400 rpm...replace all mistery filters hp and lp pumps , injectors, try an outside tank, vst filters, spark plugs ...now I'm thinking it has to be a sensor problem but can't scan it
I order the cable and the cd driver but can't get it to download the driver on my laptop and tried two other laptops to find the same issue .
Cd won't even run by itself , I have to manually open it , then when I hook it to the outboard won't communicate .
Really desperate here !
Or if anybody in New York can help me scan it , I would really appreciate!
Thanks in advance
Did you make sure it is set to COM1 and followed the startup sequence I listed in the first post?

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

2010snake

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaRay
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Ok thanks , I'll retry but my laptop is a 64 bit system and I got windows 7
Can that be the problem?

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

2010snake

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaRay
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I would like a walk thru the process ! Or video if possible!
Anybody?
Thanks in advance

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I think that is in the 1st post....

Ever wonder what your engine hours are, how to read them, if your engine threw errors? Well first of all you will need some software (YDS 1.3) and a Cable (Ebay is a good source). Once you have that, here is the process from start to finish of what you need to do:

1) Install the software
2) Update the DB on the software (lauch the SW and press F1)
3) Locate your connection point on the engine. If you have a 2006 or less, it will be behind the cover plate in the rear starboard storage locker (yeah who would have thunk!). On 2007+ 230's it is behind the plate on the starboard side of the engine compartment. On 210s, it is tucked into the wiring harness over the top of the port engine. It will have one red wire on one side of the plug and 3 or 4 wires on the side you will plug into.
4) Plug in the YDS cable to your engine.
5) Start your engine
6) Turn on the water to your engine
7) Plug in the USB plug into your computer
7A) One time only step--you should get a "New Hardware" message...if the disk is still in the drive, it will find the drivers. If it is not, then browse to C:\Program Files\YDS\Driver
Launch the YDS software.
9) Hit Enter it should says something about communicating to the ECM. If it says it failed to communicate to the ECM, then either your driver didn't install or you aren't plugged in the proper sequence.
10) Hit enter and you should have a complete menu of items you can look at. For Engine hours click on "Data Logger" and then click on "Engine Operating Hours according to engine speed"
10a) If you wish to save the hours, click F2 to save the file (it saves as a .csv file or a "Comma Separated Value" file and an .xls file....in a nutshell....a file Excel can read, or most any data application like Notepad, wordpad etc.)
11) If you want to check out and see if you have had any engine "errors", click on the "Diagnosis", and then on "Diagnosis Record".
12) Shut off the water
13) Turn off the engine

Vaggelis

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Hi do you know where i can find the YDISoftware?Any please where i can Download it.....:)
Thank you very much

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Hi do you know where i can find the YDISoftware?Any please where i can Download it.....:)
Thank you very much
Not aware of anywhere you can download it. I have seen Ebay sellers that have been selling it and the cable....

Vaggelis

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Any one who can share it....:p.Cause the wiring harness is really easy to be fixed(DIY).Also is there any program that can flash new maps on Yamaha outboards?

Richard Schiehl

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I would like a walk thru the process ! Or video if possible!
Anybody?
Thanks in advance
Snake, did you ever get your problem resolved? I have been using the software and cable for about 5 years and I was using on an engine about 6 months ago and got the comm error. I thought maybe it was the cable, so I ordered and received new software and cable and had the same problem. I have 3 laptops and tried all of them and got the same error. Then I finally realized that I had upgraded all of them to Windows 10. I have gone thru hours of uninstalling and reinstalling and the same with the drivers from the CD but no luck. Curious as to how you fared. Thanks

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
One thing that I discovered through fellow Jetboaters was that my YDS wouldn't work unless I had it set to run on com port 1. I'm not computer savvy at all but I would get the dreaded "communication error" until I switched my computer to run it on com port 1.
I couldn't get my YDS to connect today. I received the dreaded can't connect to the ECM message.
I recently switched to a new lap top and we copied and reformatted my old laptop. It runs XP pro, I reinstalled the software on the old machine and when I started the engine and plugged the USB in it didn't give me "install driver" window.

I also rebooted and tried multiple times to hook it up. I was hoping it was the Comm 1 or comm 2 issue, I googled how to change the comm port http://www.reslers.de/IBUS/port.html

I opened the device manager but there was no "ports" tab. I have tabs for batteries, computer, disk drives, display adapters, etc...

Is it possible when I reinstalled XP that I needed to install "ports" ?

I also tried to install it on my new laptop running Windows 10.1 but it didn't work either.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ok, don't panic. Remain calm. I'm a professional. :)

Let's start with the XP machine. When you go to the device manager there, do you get any Ports listed at all? It will not show it until it is plugged in to the adapter and maybe not until the engine is bumped. Rebooting is usually the best way to find the new device, but that may not be fast enough. After you bump the engine, go to the Device Manager and chose Scan for new hardware. See if that doesn't find it.

Then you should be able to change the comm port like you have in the link you attached.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@tdonoughue thanks for the help,

I could never get the add hardware wizard to appear and under device manager it didn't list any ports, either while the YDS was connected or not.

I've been googling the last two hours and think I may have found it, I went to the device manager then the tab at the top /action/add legacy hardware = add hardware wizard it installed a com port under #3 and I have changed it now to read com port 1

It will probably be a couple days before I can get back out to the boat to see if it works,

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Scottintexas if memory serves me correctly the com ports were under an "advanced settings" tab somewhere in the device manager. Sorry that I can't be more clear than that, but this is the only device that I've had to do this for and its only been two or three times in the past 7-8 years.

It sounds like you figured it out though. Also, fwiw, I've been able to run my old version of YDS (I think version 1.32) on a laptop with Windows XP and Windows 8 (probably in compatibility mode).