• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Yamaha Diagnostic System (YDS)...how to read your hours and errors

Rigger

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Is it YDS or YDIS? I see them used interchangeably but the service manual that I have only has YDIS. I wonder if we are confusing people by using both terms.
Good catch! The 07 SX230 service manual uses the abbreviation YDIS to talk about the YAMAHA DIAGNOSTIC SYSTEM. It never uses the abbreviation YDS, it's always spelled out. It's the same in the 2013 AR240 service manual and supplement. Funny now that I look YDIS appears to only be an abbreviation and nothing more.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Dave, it refers to the same diagnostics program to read/troubleshoot/test/diagnose the ECM and engine systems on our boats. However, the early boats did use the term YDS as the acronym for Yamaha Diagnostic System. In 2010, the 240 line was introduced and the software that compromised the YDS system was changed from version 1.2 to 1.33. 1.33 was then referred to as YDIS. It is reported that 1.2 could still be used on the 2010 1.8L boats. But 1.33 was the new version to use that had new features for use on the newer boats and also would run diagnostics on the earlier boats. Much of this was done because the software had been distributed to the dealer network and beyond. Yamaha likes control. The consider their diagnostics proprietary and have always charged a hefty price for it. In 2008, it was available to the consumer through the dealer network for around $400-500. Once 1.33 was released, it was raised to over $1000 (to discourage private use and ownership of it I presume). There have been reports that the older versions of the software, YDS, will run the diagnostics on the newer boats that are really designed to use 1.33 YDIS or newer. These may be more the same than we know, but there is very limited reports from those that claim it will work on the 1.8L boats. YDS and YDIS can do much more than read engine hours. It is the complete diagnostics and testing bench for Yamaha outboards, PWC, and boats. It can not only read but activate systems...and can make changes to the ECM. I question the ability of the early versions do do this on the newest boats, because the ECM's have different parameters. Over the years, we have had several Yamaha techs that used the software for a living, comment on the capability of the software. But the gray area happened with the newer boats as Yamaha tried to control the distribution and use of their software once again. It would be a good discussion and thread to have those with experience using this software on the 1.8L boats, and the newest 210 line, to discuss their experiences.

@Rigger is correct, the common reference for the system is YDS which stands for Yamaha Diagnostic Software. But with the advent of the 1.8L engine, they changed the term to YDIS and stopped describing it and only referencing it as "diagnostics". It appears to be the same manual, just rewritten to reflect nomenclature changes, but the software has to have changed to allow it to control the new systems. I am sure that you can probably read engine hours and time/rpm info and more with the old YDS on the new boats, but I don't know about it being used fully in them. Clear as mud?

PatG

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@colt45 I read an earlier posts & see you are from New Orleans & have a Yamaha boat. I'm having the temp light coming on one engine, I use a heat sensor gun and engine temp was at 178. Engine not running hot, I believe it's a faulty engine thermo switch. You convince me to purchase a YDS, I already remove the switch, which I will replace anyway now. By using the YDS should tell me my problem. Have you or anyone else experience this problem? Thanks, Pat

colt45

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have not experienced this problem. The YDS should help you diagnose though. If I can help in anyway let me know.

Magic

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@colt45 I'm having the temp light coming on one engine, I use a heat sensor gun and engine temp was at 178. Engine not running hot, I believe it's a faulty engine thermo switch.
There is a possibility that it could be a transient overtemp. This will cause the light to remain on until power is removed from the system, and by that I mean disconnected from the battery either by the cutoff switch of disconnecting the battery. Just turning the ignition switch to "off" wont do the trick.

At least that is a easy low-cost/work place to start. Ours is a 2005 but I think the 2007's have the same electronics package.....

PatG

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks guys, I'll give it a try! in the mean I'm going to purchase the YDS and hope it diagnoses the problem. Both engines were doing the same which I thought was strange. Now only the port engine light comes on after running for about 20 minutes at 6500 rpms. I have to let the boat sit for about 15 minutes and she will run again without coming on for 20-30 minutes. If it was running hot, it wouldn't take that long! plus I use a head gun and the temp on both engines was 178.

CRESTAPRE

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
There was a thread a while back that discussed an overtemp situation.
The fix, believe it or not, was changing the spark plugs. It was explained, something like, if a full burn does not happen in a cylinder the residual fuel and newly injected fuel burns at another stroke and causes excess heat. Either way, its a cheap shot at fixing the problem.

PatG

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
There was a thread a while back that discussed an overtemp situation.
The fix, believe it or not, was changing the spark plugs. It was explained, something like, if a full burn does not happen in a cylinder the residual fuel and newly injected fuel burns at another stroke and causes excess heat. Either way, its a cheap shot at fixing the problem.

PatG

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks CRESTAPRE, I'm going to take your advice on this one! I'm on 5 1/2 years of owning this SX210 and this is my first issue I ever had with the boat. The first 4 years I change the spark plugs every year before the summer, to say I didn't do it this year and now I'm having this heating problem. Planned on changing them away, should had done it before summer kick in.
I own few boats in the pass, I have to say this SX210 is so maintenance free! Thanks again!

MOA_Chaser

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I have just successfully used this software to read the engine hours and diagnostics of a used boat I was looking at. I purchased my cables and software on eBay for about $75. This thread describes it's use perfectly and I was able to pull info from both engines.

I also wanted to chime in and say that I used a Microsoft Surface Pro (version 1) with Microsoft Windows 8.1. I did have to go to the device manager and force the driver on the disk for the cable (and the 32bit one, I believe even though my OS is 64bit). I then changed the COM port to COM1 and that setting stuck upon removing/reinserting the cable (not connected to an engine). I did all of this before connecting to anything and I had zero issues when the time came to use it a few days later.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

spaz1868

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Does the YDS give a more accurate representation of hours on the engines as opposed to the readout on the gauges?

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Yes it does. It provides a wealth of information. I stole these pictures from BRPDiagnostics.com. There are diagnostic tests (I did not try these) and it also provides engine error codes (including history and you can delete them). It is worth every bit of $75. In my case it would cost me more than that in fuel in my truck just to drag the boat somewhere for diagnosis, let alone the cost of it.

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Here's a little tip for those of you using the YDS software. You dont' have to actually start the engine, so you don't need to hook up to a water supply to read the YDS.

Follow the same steps outlined by Julian, except instead or starting the engine, just "bump" the starter. This gets the communication going between the ECM, the USB dongle, and the YDS software on laptop. The engine does not have to be running and therefore you don't need to have access to water and that makes it much easier to do in many cases.
I just used this method of acquiring the ECM data and can confirm it worked perfectly for me. This method is great for history information but obviously if you want real time data you will have to start the engines.

If anyone is in the Columbia, SC or surround area I would be more than happy to read your data.

Reactions: Gym

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I just used this method of acquiring the ECM data and can confirm it worked perfectly for me. This method is great for history information but obviously if you want real time data you will have to start the engines.

If anyone is in the Columbia, SC or surround area I would be more than happy to read your data.
Thanks for the tip @andy07sx230ho & @maboat. I've had the software & cable for a year now but haven't used it yet. @Joel Caron just loaded and configured the software in my laptop last weekend so will probably try it this weekend.

Last edited:

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Thanks for the tip @andy07sx230ho. I've had the software & cable for a year now but haven't used it yet. @Joel Caron just loaded and configured the software in my laptop last weekend so will probably try it this weekend.
As others have mentioned if you get a communications error it is probably due to your laptop connection not being set as Comm1 or Comm2. With the cable connected to your laptop and to the engine, on your laptop go to the device manager to change the port configuration.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Anyone used the eBay sold system on a 2012 or later craft?

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I was having problems getting my starboard engine to work on the YDS/YDIS software. I finally got it work by rebooting my laptop after I had run the software on my port engine. Apparently something was locking up my COM1 port after the first use and the system needed to be restarted. After many failed attempts, I was very excited to get a read out on my starboard engine.