• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Yamaha Diagnostic System (YDS)...how to read your hours and errors

Fshndad

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
my seller now won’t respond. I’ve tried windows 7 and xP

Yes, the shielded cable is an obd 2 connector one end, and connects to the YDS cable with a USB for the computer on the other end. The seller I bought mine from advertised it worked with Windows 10 and verified that with an email. I know others advertised at that time did not.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
it can be very frustrating, I've been around that tree a couple of times with the YDS and then it just works,

maybe update your location and boat type and there might be a member nearby to help or at least compare to theirs.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Do you know what version you have 1.32 or 1.33 ? I know 1.32 only works with XP,

Do you see the YAMAHA screen come up to update the database to know the software loaded ok?

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Fshndad I went and looked on eBay this morning and the seller I bought mine from is still there and appears to be the only seller that advertises compatibility with Windows 10. That is why messaged him confirming that it worked with 10, I had a hard time believing that he was the only one. https://www.ebay.com/itm/YAMAHA-Diagnostic-system-Jet-Boat-Outboard-Wave-Runner/151117934952?_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIM.MBE&ao=2&asc=49917&meid=44973cbb6acb43a5b2db6e5b33a20c25&pid=100005&rk=5&rkt=6&mehot=pp&sd=330918278833&itm=151117934952&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851 But that still does not explain why you're does not work on XP or 7. Only thing I can think of is a sequence error or the white shipping plug needs to be removed on the connector where it connects to the boat. If one is there.

Last edited:

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@Fshndad I went and looked on eBay this morning and the seller I bought mine from is still there and appears to be the only seller that advertises compatibility with Windows 10. That is why messaged him confirming that it worked with 10, I had a hard time believing that he was the only one. https://www.ebay.com/itm/YAMAHA-Diagnostic-system-Jet-Boat-Outboard-Wave-Runner/151117934952?_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIM.MBE&ao=2&asc=49917&meid=44973cbb6acb43a5b2db6e5b33a20c25&pid=100005&rk=5&rkt=6&mehot=pp&sd=330918278833&itm=151117934952&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851 But that still does not explain why you're does not work on XP or 7. Only thing I can think of is a sequence error or the white shipping plug needs to be removed on the connector where it connects to the boat. If one is there.
Or perhaps they got the pin connections wrong when they made it?

Does your device manager recognize the cable when it is plugged in? If not you can try to update the driver directly using the device manager. If it does recognize the cable (to test, just plug in the cable with device manager open and see what pops up) then you may have a COM port issue.

Fshndad

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Do you know what version you have 1.32 or 1.33 ? I know 1.32 only works with XP,

Do you see the YAMAHA screen come up to update the database to know the software loaded ok?

Fshndad

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes it says it found a YDS adapter and it’s set to com1. Also in there instructions it tells me to Disable the port I just configured. I tried that too and no luck.

Or perhaps they got the pin connections wrong when they made it?

Does your device manager recognize the cable when it is plugged in? If not you can try to update the driver directly using the device manager. If it does recognize the cable (to test, just plug in the cable with device manager open and see what pops up) then you may have a COM port issue.

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
  1. Make sure the cable is on COM Port 1
You da man @Julian . Was having some troubles with my F115 today, hit the trusty google and it brought me straight here and resolved my issue. So, thanks!

Fshndad

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I ordered a generic obdII connector and worked on the first try. No starting or bump start just key on.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I ordered a generic obdII connector and worked on the first try. No starting or bump start just key on.
Did you cut off and replace the one that came with the cable or do something else?

Fshndad

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Did you cut off and replace the one that came with the cable or do something else?
Hard wired some spade connectors from engine connector to pin 4, 7, and 16 on the obdII connector

Jeff_G

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Sorry to bring up such an old thread. The Yamaha three terminal connector is a HW-3S-2 Hw Sealed series by Sumitomo. You can buy them for only a couple dollars from Corsa Technic in Ca. www.corsa-technic.com.
I Have the original OEM Yamaha cable and 1.23, can't get it to work, so I updated to 1.3 same deal. Frustrated I got the 1.33 and the OBD II cable to the USB port. I still get the dreaded can't communicate. I'm running XP on an older computer, although I tried on 2 Win 7 computers as well. My USB ports I believe are 1.1 and when I plug in the cable in device manager it shows a 2.0 usb but there is a yellow ? and it says no driver is installed. The computer won't load drivers from the CD, not from any version, 1.23 is OEM....
Seems the older OEM cable may have gone bad, but have no way to tell. The new cable I believe is looking for a 2.0 port and the computer can't find a driver. At this point I'm getting very frustrated and confused.
Will 1.33 work with 1.1 usb ports? ANY help appreciated....

spaz944

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Make sure you assign the USB port as COM1 that’s what usually trips people (me too) up.

Jeff_G

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Well, finally found the problem. I also have a Suzuki cable that uses OBD II, I used the Suzuki cable with the Yamaha cable adapter to the engine, and all is fine with the world. It seems I have a bad OBD II cable! Chasing this problem for over a year!!!

jcarli100

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hey everyone! New to the board today and love the valuable information.

I'm getting ready to drive 2 hours tomorrow to try my cable and software out to get my hours on my 2012 AR242 Limited S because I'll be selling any day. I just purchased my cable & software off Ebay from US seller. I've installed the YDS software on my Win10 Surface computer...the seller on Ebay gave me access to his Google drive to download the software, since no CD on this computer. Software works, and when USB plugged-in, it was originally set to COM 3, but I've got changed to COM1.

My concerns are about having the drivers installed correctly? Boat won't be in the water, so I'll bump the engines while boat is trailered. I'm hoping to get a reading and be done, and then get the boat listed for sale. My fingers are crossed that engines have low hours around 100 hours.

Can anyone tell me how to confirm drivers installed correctly? I appreciate your help!

jc
Louisville, KY

IMG-3698.JPG IMG-3660.JPG IMG-3647.JPG

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
You don't need YDS to confirm hours on your boat? It's displayed on the instruments, unless they've been replaced?

Otherwise, it's really simple to install, although I don't remember much about it. Seemed ridiculously easy, the com port is the only thing to trip most people up and it sounds like you've got that already.

jcarli100

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You don't need YDS to confirm hours on your boat? It's displayed on the instruments, unless they've been replaced?

Otherwise, it's really simple to install, although I don't remember much about it. Seemed ridiculously easy, the com port is the only thing to trip most people up and it sounds like you've got that already.

I thought the only way was with the Yamaha software on the 2012? If it's in the gauge package, I'll get the owners manual out and cycle thru the screens.

Thanks!

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yours is the same boat as mine. You can get it through the screens definitely (unless, as was mentioned, they are not stock).

Robert Wooten

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I've looked and looked but can't seem to find the port on my 2012 212x. Anyone here happen to have knowledge of where the port is located on this boat?