• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Need a new Tow Vehicle as Audi will be buying back my Q7 TDI --what do you have?

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
SRT Durango?

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Big tease!
Sorry, no totally not, I was just tired and wasn't thinking strait. But - I really don't want to jinx myself now either! Lets just say it is a very conservative choice. If it pans out.
This thread has been very helpful, so thank you for starting it, @Julian - lots of good information and ideas from various angles.

--

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Sorry, no totally not, I was just tired and wasn't thinking strait. But - I really don't want to jinx myself now either! Lets just say it is a very conservative choice. If it pans out.
This thread has been very helpful, so thank you for starting it, @Julian - lots of good information and ideas from various angles.

--
Guess he got a Toyota lol

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Now we are going to have to start a pool on what he got! LOL

I didnt think he'd even turned in his Audi Diesel yet!!! So he'll have two???
No secrets here!! it's just the "jinxing it" aspect of the process that has me holding back.

But, heck, I'm telling. Basically, we are bidding on a new land cruiser. Will likely close on Friday. If they want my money.

Frankly, it's not been much fun looking and test driving - because we have had so many limitations and requirements to consider. Trying to replace the amazing Q7 TDI!

Given no diesels in this market (large SUV w/3rd row) - it is a tough decision. Basically, trying to find a vehicle that can comfortably tow a 24' boat AND haul 6-7 passengers AND serve as a daily driver AND fit in an underground parking garage space AND... Good luck with that.
It feels like "looking for a hymen in a whorehouse".

One issue we found with those Land Cruisers - they are rather hard to find in the US due to limited supply - most are sent strait to Dubai from Japan. "Scarce as hen's teeth" as my FIL would put it.

The good thing is - once you find one there is no need to worry about trim level: they are mono-spec (all come in only one trim level). So, there are literally no options... kind of refreshing actually, simplifies the process.
Well, you can pick the color. As long as it is either white or black, lol.

Long story short, after countless dealer visits, drives, and reading and re-reading this thread (LOL) and what not we kind of threw in the towel. We figured there is not that much to go wrong with a Landy. We are not much into the newest/bleeding edge tech (which is mostly not there), so we should be okay. And we tend to keep our cars for a long time.

Aslo, Kate drives a 2015 4Runner, she LOVES it, so she's fine with another Toyota.

We are holding on to the Q7 TDI for now, we have the buy-back offer letters but no dates, yet. Which is fine - I figured if buying a new car/truck I wouldn't want to tow for the first few k miles anyway.

I thought the Q7 was a keeper. Well, that did not work out! Will see what happens this time, hopefully I will grow old with this new truck.

--

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You know there is a company in Florida that will put a Duramax into a Suburban for you.....dunno why that just crossed my mind.

I'm not on the book of faces, but here's the first thing in the google search :D https://www.facebook.com/duraburbinc/

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You know there is a company in Florida that will put a Duramax into a Suburban for you.....dunno why that just crossed my mind.

I'm not on the book of faces, but here's the first thing in the google search :D https://www.facebook.com/duraburbinc/
I actually considered something like that, but there are several drawbacks. One of them is that I really wouldn't want to be without AWD/4x4 where I boat, and most of those conversions do not allow for that.
(I'm not on FB and I don't know exactly what those guys are putting together, but usually not AWD systems)

--

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I actually considered something like that, but there are several drawbacks. One of them is that I really wouldn't want to be without AWD/4x4 where I boat, and most of those conversions do not allow for that.
(I'm not on FB and I don't know exactly what those guys are putting together, but usually not AWD systems)

--
They won't do AWD because GM doesn't make an AWD system that holds up to the Duramax torque. They do keep 4wd systems in place though. They are traditional 4wd hi/lo and 2wd transfer cases. I've seen one of thier conversions in person and they look factory stock. They tell stories of people taking them to dealerships, and the techs there say things like "We didn't even know they put a Duramax in these from the factory". They look and work really well.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Well if your spending coin, the Bentayga is always an option. :cool:

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Guess he got a Toyota lol
Well - you called it. We got a Toyota!

@Julian - so I'm done! Quite a relief, now I can sit back and watch - and see what you'll bring home when you turn in the Q7!

My Q goes back in the Fall, and that's when those two are going to get to know each other very well:
upload_2018-3-27_23-32-48.png

I have a feeling I may not miss the Q after all, lol.
Those LCs are kind of... stupendous (?) - go anywhere (I saw some off-roading vids with those that are just hard to believe). And - w/seating for 8.
Yet, wonderfully understated. Love it, so far.
upload_2018-3-27_23-38-32.png

--

Last edited:

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Went to build on on their website... I was actually very impressed and it may justify the price tag. One of the few times I think I have said that about a Toyota lol. (40k for a Camry is not justifiable)

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@swatski looks great! how do you feel about the room behind the 3rd row? Where do you stow all the stuff on a trip with the whole crew? In the boat when it’s in tow? Rack on the tow hitch or roof when it’s not?

Right now I’ve got one of those hitch racks we use on the Tahoe. But that’s the main reason I’m looking at suburban/Yukon xl.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Went to build on on their website... I was actually very impressed and it may justify the price tag. One of the few times I think I have said that about a Toyota lol. (40k for a Camry is not justifiable)
Not gonna argue with you on that, lol. This truck really is a dinosaur of sorts, not much else out there built that way. I don't care as much for the new 2019 model (J300?) they are showing in Europe albeit it is the Prado line (and looking a bit too much like Lexus - nothing wrong with that, just not really my style, and no clam-shell back gate - bad move IMO), may or may not be imported here if they even bring it. They don't sell many here as they can get almost double the price in the middle east or Europe, or Australia, and now all African Safari companies have switched to LC, too.

@swatski looks great! how do you feel about the room behind the 3rd row? Where do you stow all the stuff on a trip with the whole crew? In the boat when it’s in tow? Rack on the tow hitch or roof when it’s not?
Right now I’ve got one of those hitch racks we use on the Tahoe. But that’s the main reason I’m looking at suburban/Yukon xl.
Well, we were looking for a truck to replace the Q7, so Landy is actually a tad bigger, and we typically, or most often, travel long trips with five - so can have one side of the 3rd row up and that is extremely functional in the landy, leaving a ton of room. The LC is very modular inside, in a good way, and the back gate (clam shell?) is just pure awesomeness. We considered Sequoia, Expedition/Navigator very strongly at the end, after few test drives we went with the LC, and there really was no hesitation I must say (albeit LC pricing is just brutal), the expedition/gator extended body style wins hands down for behind the 3rd row storage as it is about a foot longer!

We tend to pack light, and try to avoid hauling luggage in the boat other than oversized items like boards in the ski locker, but we do sometimes use an over the top (roof rack) bag if we have to.

--

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Nice ride, very unassuming looking. I like the way the rear seat stow against the sides, and having a tailgate you can hang out on is awesome. Most SUVs just aren't conducive to that.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Nice ride, very unassuming looking.
That's what we really like about this truck, it is a real sleeper!
No trailer assist though! - so I'll still envy you Expedition people! That thing looks like an absolute blast.
But - with the LC's bird's eye view and what-not 360-optics it is still far better than anything I ever had, so we'll be okay, lol.

--

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
You can't hide money! :p

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It matches the boat so well I almost feel like it needs the same angled stripe graphics over the rear wheels. Very nice (as is).

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Last edited: