• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Need a new Tow Vehicle as Audi will be buying back my Q7 TDI --what do you have?

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
4WD (Z71) is a classic 4WD system. The AWD drive was an always on system that distributed to power to the wheels that had the most grip. 4WD should not be used on normal roads. AWD is awesome for cornering faster and never spinning a tire, especially when towing.
Ah....yes....don't see AWD as an option....

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Thom

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
If you do end up with a 5.3, don't be surprised by the oil consumption. At about 20k our started using a quart every 2000 miles, and did so faithfully until I sold it when it had 90k. Apparently it's very common and has to do with the cylinder deactivation. I don't know if it has been resolved by now or not. It wasn't really a big deal, just one more thing to keep an eye on.

Also, if you zero in on one of the full size GM's, buy the long wheelbase version (XL or Suburban). They're not much more expensive, and almost everyone I know that went with the Tahoe to save money over the Suburban kicked themselves. The extra space is really nice, and the ride is even better. Only reason to go short, IMO, is if garage depth is a challenge.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
There is an option to keep it, but the financial equation looks to be better if they buy it back.....plus it is unclear what will happen to the car's power after the "fix".....and who knows what will happen to their resale value.

Looks like both 4 and 2 wheel drive are available.
There is a possibly an option to keep it only if they come up with a fix will he get paid anything if he choose to keep it. He can keep the car for almost two years and still sell it back for the same price so that is a very viable option to hold on to it for a while if he wants. He does run the risk of something happening it to it if he holds though if the motor or transmission where to fail for some reason he would be on the hook to repair it before he could turn the car in. I had two of the 2.0l cars just sold the last one back to Audi on Friday. If either of mine would have been cars we were actually using I would have kept it till the last minute as its basically like driving a car for free for two years with no depreciation and a guaranteed sell at the end. @jullian another option is the one I told @MrMoose to do if you like your Q7 buy a newer one. the 2013-15 will only get the fix at this time but if you buy one and get the fix you will receive between 6k-10k back at the time of the fix so you can get a good deal on one now and still get that additional money back reducing the price of the car even more. You def have some time to decide based on the 2.0l timelines it will likely be July or August before the first car is bought back thats if the final approval goes through in May like planned.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@Thom The Q7 TDI goes through oil when towing....which surprised me, but according to what I read online is entirely normal.

@robert843 My Q7 is under a power train warranty until June or July....so I'm good to drive it hard until then....if the buy back price remains and doesn't change for 2 years...then yes...you are correct...it might be worth driving it for 2 years--assuming it doesn't throw a rod....but at only 45k miles right now, it is unlikely to explode (now I've jinxed it!). Are you saying the offer will be the same this year as it will be in 2 years (only the mileage adjustment will change?

Humm...lots to think about....

Ilmmct

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Julian I am a truck guy, so can't help on the next vehicle suggestions, but I hope the diesel buy-back works out for you. My wife has a Q5 gasser and it burns a fair amount of oil.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@Julian I am a truck guy, so can't help on the next vehicle suggestions, but I hope the diesel buy-back works out for you. My wife has a Q5 gasser and it burns a fair amount of oil.
I'd gotten used to Toyotas and Hondas that barely burn any oil.....

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Thom The Q7 TDI goes through oil when towing....which surprised me, but according to what I read online is entirely normal.

@robert843 My Q7 is under a power train warranty until June or July....so I'm good to drive it hard until then....if the buy back price remains and doesn't change for 2 years...then yes...you are correct...it might be worth driving it for 2 years--assuming it doesn't throw a rod....but at only 45k miles right now, it is unlikely to explode (now I've jinxed it!). Are you saying the offer will be the same this year as it will be in 2 years (only the mileage adjustment will change?

Humm...lots to think about....
Correct but even better is there is a mileage allotment. So you are allowed 1025 miles per month with out effecting the value at all. So that mileage chart is based off Sept 2015 miles so right now to figure out your mileage on the chart you would deduct 1025 miles X 16 months = 16,400 miles so you actual current buyback mileage on the chart is actually 28,600 miles and as long as you average less then 1025 miles per month before you turn it in your buyback will not change at all during that period in fact if you average less then that your buyback can go up as you fall down on the mileage chart. One of my cars did that since it was not being driven much I was actually give more money then originally offered at closing because I had fallen a mileage bracket due to lack of being driven.

stever40

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Hi Julian

We have the GMC Yukon Denali with all the options you listed. I chose this over the Tahoe because it came with the 6.2L vs the 5.8L and also had the 8 speed transmission. Would be same as the Escalade with a little less price tag.

The new Expedition looks to be unique. 10 speed tranny but am not sure about the 3.6 twin turbo. They are getting good hp but towing 9000lbs with it would concern me with longevity.

I have been a Ford guy my entire life with this being my first GM. Can say Ford gives some more bells and whistles but they stopped with the V8.

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Is the 5.3 not enough for towing the boat? I won't be towing anything larger that the boat....
I have no problems towing my '07 sx230 with a 2013 Tahoe long distances. I have the six speeed transmission variant. No problems with towing in tow mode.

Jet Blue

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I have a Land Rover only guy locally Julian if you are concerned about maintenance costs. My old Discovery was in the shop a fair amount of time years back in Florida, but my LR3 has been reliable and not a time or money suck (had since 2008 and still running strong). As for the Range Rover, you should give a glimpse to the LR4 (gently used) if you are in the Range Rover family.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Only reason to go short, IMO, is if garage depth is a challenge
Hummm.....I may have to measure this! I'm a "the garage is for parking cars in" kind of guy! Would hate to have to leave the new car outside!

Looks like the XL is 25" longer than my Audi.....I think I'll be able to make it fit!

mraz72

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I know you are not a ford guy, but the expedition is an awesome vehicle, the navigator is even awesomer :)

I have had many fords and I have not have problems, just gets the job done. I like that all 3 rows will lay flat, I don't think the chevy products do that.

I agree with you though, I would rather have a 3 row SUV than a pickup. Pickups do not have enough internet room.

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Julian . I am struggling with these 5.3 comments. My Silverado is a 5.3 with the towing package and tows exceptionally well. The towing capacity is 9400 lbs and it does a great job. Never an issue. I get 16 mph normally and 23 on the highway. When I tow, I get around 12 mph. Oil burn is not an issue.

RightStuff

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I like that all 3 rows will lay flat, I don't think the chevy products do that.
They do now that the 3rd rows are fold flat. It did raise the floor height a bit in the back (more in the Tahoe, less in the Suburban), but it is flat now up to the front seats. I think that changed with the redesign in 2014. Here's a 2016 Yukon, the XL is the same as is the Tahoe and Suburban.

mraz72

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@RightStuff, that looks good, that is one thing I liked about the ford, it looks like chevy changed their design

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
20160616_125154.jpg

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Julian . I am struggling with these 5.3 comments. My Silverado is a 5.3 with the towing package and tows exceptionally well. The towing capacity is 9400 lbs and it does a great job. Never an issue. I get 16 mph normally and 23 on the highway. When I tow, I get around 12 mph. Oil burn is not an issue.
Depending on body style, transmission and final drive ratio options 5.3 powered 2016 1500s have tow ratings between 6,100 and 11,1000 pounds. http://www.gmfleet.com/content/dam/gmfleet/global/master/nscwebsite/en/Home/Resources/02_pdf/GMTB15CT200-2016-gmc_tailering_guide.pdf

Due to EPA requirements GM builds a lot of the low tow capacity high mpg models. Even though our boats are less than 6,100 pounds that rating is based on 300 pounds of people in an otherwise empty vehicle. Once a family and gear is loaded it is likely to be over the rated capacity.

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Hi Julian

We have the GMC Yukon Denali with all the options you listed. I chose this over the Tahoe because it came with the 6.2L vs the 5.8L and also had the 8 speed transmission. Would be same as the Escalade with a little less price tag.

The new Expedition looks to be unique. 10 speed tranny but am not sure about the 3.6 twin turbo. They are getting good hp but towing 9000lbs with it would concern me with longevity.

I have been a Ford guy my entire life with this being my first GM. Can say Ford gives some more bells and whistles but they stopped with the V8.
That twin turbo 3.5L ecoboost will out tow most V8's out the market. It makes it torque at much lower rpm's. Not sure about longevity though. I know there are quiet a few guys with them in the F150's who have worked them hard and have pretty high mileage.

RightStuff

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Depending on body style, transmission and final drive ratio options 5.3 powered 2016 1500s have tow ratings between 6,100 and 11,1000 pounds. http://www.gmfleet.com/content/dam/gmfleet/global/master/nscwebsite/en/Home/Resources/02_pdf/GMTB15CT200-2016-gmc_tailering_guide.pdf

Due to EPA requirements GM builds a lot of the low tow capacity high mpg models. Even though our boats are less than 6,100 pounds that rating is based on 300 pounds of people in an otherwise empty vehicle. Once a family and gear is loaded it is likely to be over the rated capacity.
Based on that going from a 5.3 to a 6.2 you actually loose max trailer/tow capacity on the Yukon, or am I reading it wrong? Not a huge diff, only 100 lbs, but just looked at comparing and noticed it.

4WD:
- Yukon 1500, 5.3L, 3.42 gears - 8200 lbs
- Yukon Denali, 6.2L, 3.23 gears - 8100 lbs

2WD:
- Yukon 1500, 5.3L, 3.42 gears - 8500 lbs
- Yukon Denali, 6.2L, 3.23 gears - 8400 lbs