• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Need a new Tow Vehicle as Audi will be buying back my Q7 TDI --what do you have?

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@RightStuff, the gear ratio in the Denali model does decrease towing capacity. I bet extra weight from options adds to the reduction. I am uncertain if you can get the 6.2 in a Yukon with the Denali option. Certainly you could buy a Denali and change the axle ratio if you needed extra capacity. Looking at 5.3 vs 6.2 in the 1500 truck series tow capacity increases 1,000 pounds where the same gear ratio exists in the same model in the 6.2 vs the 5.3

Lets say a 242 with fuel, trailer and a few water toys is around 5,500 pounds. Then you have a family of four at perhaps 600 pounds in the tow vehicle. Once you add any more toys, luggage, drinks, food, etc you are well over the 6,100 pound tow capacity of some fuel efficient truck configurations.

Your 8,000 pound plus tow capacity is pretty safe weight wise. But I can tell you than my fuel mileage towing a SX230 is lower than if I am towing 10,000 pounds of building material. The wind resistance is our towing issue not the weight.

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Julian . I am struggling with these 5.3 comments. My Silverado is a 5.3 with the towing package and tows exceptionally well. The towing capacity is 9400 lbs and it does a great job. Never an issue. I get 16 mph normally and 23 on the highway. When I tow, I get around 12 mph. Oil burn is not an issue.
My 2009 5.3 has towed my 8000lbish travel trailer a LOT, and I don't have a problem towing the boat either.
Mine does have the oil issue though, for the last several months I've been driving around in manual "5" so it won't go into 6th gear and go into 4 cylinder mode. I had a thread about this issue on here. I need to check the oil and see if it has burned as much as it did going into 4 cylinder mode.

PaulyB

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Since Audi will be buying back my Q7 TDI in the May-July timeframe, I have some time to shop for a new tow vehicle (an SUV...I'm not a truck guy). Here is a list of my top contenders, now I just need to determine if I buy new or gently used and which years have what I want!

Here is a list of top tow rated SUVs and my comments:
  • Ford Expedition - 9,200 lbs.-sorry...not a Ford guy--had one as a rental didn't like it.
  • Lincoln Navigator - 9,000 lbs. (same as above)
  • Nissan Armada - 9,000 lbs. (know nothing about it-its an option)
  • Chevrolet Tahoe - 8,600 lbs. (an option)
  • Infiniti QX80 - 8,500 lbs. (an option if I can get past the way it looks)
  • Cadillac Escalade - 8,300 lbs. (an option)
  • Chevrolet Suburban – 8,300 lbs. (perhaps)
  • Land Rover Range Rover – 7,700 lbs. (not keen on the maintenance costs)
  • Toyota Land Cruiser -8,000 lbs-- an option
  • Toyota Sequoia - 7,400 - an option - getting close to the bottom of tow capacity
  • Lexus LX 570 - - 7000 lbs --an option-but way expensive for what you get and marginal on towing
What I'd like as options (which will likely force particular years/brands):
  • Adaptive cruise control
  • Auto leveling headlights
  • Auto leveling suspension
  • Front collision avoidance/braking
  • Lane departure warning and lane keeping
  • Blind spot warning
  • 3 rows of seats
  • bluetooth music and hands free phone operation (must work well!)

So if you have an Armarda, Tahoe, QX80, Escalade, Suburban, Sequoia/Land Cruiser.....does it have all of the above, if so what year is it, and are you happy with its towing capability?

Julian did they give you an option to keep the vehicle and they would send you a check for the issues? I have heard that is another option, and I have been looking to purchase an Audi Q7 TDI... :)

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Julian did they give you an option to keep the vehicle and they would send you a check for the issues? I have heard that is another option, and I have been looking to purchase an Audi Q7 TDI... :)
This question has a two-part answer in Jullian's case the 2009 through 2012 models if A fix becomes available they expected it to decrease your fuel economy and horsepower is why they're offering to buy those ones back. The 2013 through 2016 models are having a fix offered With compensation for the fix as they believe they can do this with a simple computer upgrade. So can Julian keep his and be compensated the answer is yes but it could be years before that happens and it could have very negative affect on the vehicle once it does

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This question has a two-part answer in Jullian's case the 2009 through 2012 models if A fix becomes available they expected it to decrease your fuel economy and horsepower is why they're offering to buy those ones back. The 2013 through 2016 models are having a fix offered With compensation for the fix as they believe they can do this with a simple computer upgrade. So can Julian keep his and be compensated the answer is yes but it could be years before that happens and it could have very negative affect on the vehicle once it does
Right, but the deadline looks like JUly 2019? So one could drive the car until then, and decide later, right? Or, if the fix is ridiculous but one still wants to keep the car, one could just take the money and then proceed with a full "delete" (or whatever they call the purging of the exhaust and reflashing the ECU, etc.).
I'm asking, not telling, BTW.

--

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Right, but the deadline looks like JUly 2019? So one could drive the car until then, and decide later, right? Or, if the fix is ridiculous but one still wants to keep the car, one could just take the money and then proceed with a full "delete" (or whatever they call the purging of the exhaust and reflashing the ECU, etc.).
I'm asking, not telling, BTW.

--
Correct you do not have to decide today the only decision that needs to be made before by I think May 1st is if you want to be a part of the class action suit if you want to opt out you must do so by then but if you don't you are automatically considered part of the class action suit. You could drive to the deadline to have a claim filed and decide which route to go. Only real issues would be if a fix doesn't become available then you would probably have to sell back to get any compensation. If a fix does become available and you go that route there is no turning around if you take the fix and are not happy with it you can not go back and sell the car back to them. One of the biggest changes that is being offered in the 3.0l settlement is those with the 2009-12 models will have the option to trade there car in at a VW or Audi dealer for the full buy back amount with out all the waiting we did in the 2.0l settlement. I had two of the 2.0l if either would have being used as I primary car I would have kept them till the very end and sold them back at the deadline as it basically like driving a free car during that time.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I am almost certainly taking the buyback as the uncertainty of the fix and subsequent value is not appealing. I will however probably wait a while so I can save up to buy another luxury top of the line big SUV.

stever40

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I am almost certainly taking the buyback as the uncertainty of the fix and subsequent value is not appealing. I will however probably wait a while so I can save up to buy another luxury top of the line big SUV.
Best of luck with whatever you choose.
\View attachment 47127

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Might be some good info in this thread, which chronicled my quest for a replacement tow vehicle two years ago: https://jetboaters.net/threads/thinking-about-a-2011-tahoe-or-yukon-as-a-tow-vehicle.4417/

One thing that surprised me... there were very few Tahoes / Yukons out there with the HD tow package and the 3.42 drive. Also, I believe GM added Bluetooth streaming capability in MY 2013. I have full hands free, but not streaming. Quite annoying fumbling with patch cord.

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
2014 I believe. Unless it was an option in 2013. I had a '13 Silveraydo, that couldn't stream bluetooth. Pissed me off every time I drove it. Kept it 3 months before trading it back in.

mdwarchichoke

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just replaced the 08 Tahoe (150k miles plus) with a new 2016 model this year. It is miles ahead of the old one. I have not pulled the boat with it. It has the full tow package on it, so no issues for me as the lakes are close. Truck has a 5.3 with a 6 speed two wheel drive and it works fine for the hauling duty. (Not as good as my old Super Duty, but no were near the price point) Really like the turning radius of the Tahoe vs my truck.

It has all the items requested except for:
  • Adaptive cruise control - no
  • Auto leveling headlights - they do switch from brights back to normal if that is what you mean for traffic
  • Auto leveling suspension no
  • Front collision avoidance/braking - Mine has sensors etc, but does not brake for you.
Sounds like car shopping time. I love trying out the new cars. Have fun until you have to sit down and start haggling with price.

JetPowered

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Julian, we are likely getting a 2017 Q7 with the V6 3.0 supercharged motor. I'll let you know how it tows.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Julian, we are likely getting a 2017 Q7 with the V6 3.0 supercharged motor. I'll let you know how it tows.
Please! do post a review or even just first impressions.

--

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Is there an suv version of the tundra? I pull my boat and tt up 12% freeway grades. I like how it tows and havent had to fix it in 200k, but its a truck. Cam.

JetPowered

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
SUV version of the Tundra is the Sequoia.

JetPowered

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Please! do post a review or even just first impressions.

--
Will do. It will probably be a back to back comparison of a V8 Touareg, V10 touareg, 2012 Dodge 2500 diesel and the Q7.

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Julian - We have used my wife's 2016 GMC Yukon Denali multiple times to tow our 242LS. We have the non-XL version (only one kid, no need for it. Both versions have a 3rd row, the XL just gives you more cargo room)
The 6.2 motor tows better than my F150 w/5.0

It has all the creature comforts that you asked for in your original post (minus the headlight feature) plus quite a few more. It easily tows all the relatives, dog and cargo plus our 242 with no problem at all. She provides a very smooth ride.

To be the devil's advocate on this I will state one aspect that I do not care for: The boat will sway rather easily with the adaptive suspension. If you don't keep your foot on the gas she will start to fishtail some. (or at least give the feeling of it). [To be fair my other tow vehicle is my 4x4 F150 with 6" lift... I'm use to a tighter suspension]

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
To be the devil's advocate on this I will state one aspect that I do not care for: The boat will sway rather easily with the adaptive suspension. If you don't keep your foot on the gas she will start to fishtail some. (or at least give the feeling of it). [To be fair my other tow vehicle is my 4x4 F150 with 6" lift... I'm use to a tighter suspension]
I wonder if that has to do with the hitch height or tongue weight? Watched a video a while back showing how weight distribution can affect sway big time....

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Julian - That may be possible but being that these luxury Denalis are built for comfort they already have a very soft ride. Add on the self leveling suspension bags and you just don't have the same tight suspension that you would with coil over strut/shock.

I have only run into this as a problem when in heavy traffic and the car in front decides to decelerate around a curve. As soon as you take your foot off the gas the boat still wants to move forward and does not want to curve with the truck. Simple solution - more fuel. For 99% of the towing/driving experience I prefer her Yukon over my truck - very nice ride.

Shannon

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
It should tow like my 17 SQ5 but be better with new air suspension. I think the new Q7 has it. I can honestly say from a power stand point I can hardly tell my boat is back there. Its crazy how fast I can get to 80 on the highway. Its even better now that it is tuned.:winkingthumbsup"