• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Need a new Tow Vehicle as Audi will be buying back my Q7 TDI --what do you have?

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Now ya just need a pulley, @Shannon ;)

Shannon

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
AHHH. You know I had it on the S4 and it was bad ass.. I am good with stage 1 and tapped out (says the wife).. LOL She says no more! I say AWE Touring some parts from o34, spacers and on and on.. :) You know how it is, there is always something else. Hope to see you in Charleston @veedubtek !!

Khalid

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XE
Boat Length
I have a 2014 Range Rover sport (7600 lbs) and it pulls nicely. Maintenance is once per year. Only mechanical repair were the shocks which were recalled and changed for free. I've put on 44k miles in 3.25 years.

I love how the car drives and looks. Not as big as the other options you have but pulls well.

I plan to get the 2018 when they come out (assuming they make some changes to them). Otherwise, I'll keep mine till that happens

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Complete 034 track density mount and suspension package is amazing @Shannon . Oh, and greatly increases resale, mpg's go through the roof, and it makes it like 3000% more reliable and way less maintenance is required. It's a win win. Tell her I said so. You almost can't afford not to do it.

On the flip side, coilovers for my Porsche are just shy of 6K. So, tell her it could be alot worse! I almost somehow convinced myself it was worth it...I just couldn't pull the trigger. Dumped more stupid money into the Thing instead.

Shannon

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Complete 034 track density mount and suspension package is amazing @Shannon . Oh, and greatly increases resale, mpg's go through the roof, and it makes it like 3000% more reliable and way less maintenance is required. It's a win win. Tell her I said so. You almost can't afford not to do it.

On the flip side, coilovers for my Porsche are just shy of 6K. So, tell her it could be alot worse! I almost somehow convinced myself it was worth it...I just couldn't pull the trigger. Dumped more stupid money into the Thing instead.
Man I agree 100%! Dumping money in machines is what we are best at. The Porsche has to look sick with that set up. I love the o34 set up and am working on her as its just money..Quite a few guys are running it on Audizine Forum and are very pleased. So Charleston? Also your lake place looks awesome! Sorry guys for hi-jacking thread. I will stop now..

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
So the new Audi Q7 has air suspension so it'll raise the rear end when I drop the 242x on it? That might be an option....and perhaps they'll offer me something sweet to stay Audi? I do like their adaptive cruise better.

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
They for some reason aren't allowed to offer any kind of discounts or incentives to you when you're turning it in. They can't even talk to you about selling you a car unless you go out of your way and initiate it.

I'd say I'm 70% in for Charleston @Shannon , but not the river run. Myrtle to charleston and back likely. Lookin forward to seein yinz again, although I'm thinking we'll probably see ya on falls sometime before then anyway.

Shannon

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
So the new Audi Q7 has air suspension so it'll raise the rear end when I drop the 242x on it? That might be an option....and perhaps they'll offer me something sweet to stay Audi? I do like their adaptive cruise better.
@Julian Yes! Tows 7700lb It is beautiful on the inside. I was at Audi Cary last week and sat in one while they checked something out on my SQ5..

Adaptive air suspension
Depending on your preference, the available adaptive
air suspension sets the height of the vehicle based
on the vehicle’s speed and your drive select preference.
You can change the ride height levels in five modes,
including Standard, Allroad (+25 mm), Offroad/Lift
(+60 mm), Dynamic (-15 mm) and Loading (lowers
the rear of the Q7 by -55 mm)

https://www.audiusa.com/content/dam/audiusa/Documents/2017-Audi-Q7-brochure.pdf

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I would hold out for the 2018 Ford Expedition. I know you said you are not a truck guy but go look at a new platinum F150, the interior of the 2018 Expedition is going to be almost identical (but with cleaner lines). They have the most room in the third row of any comparable vehicle. The 2nd generation 3.5 Ecoboost and 10 speed Trans is a winner in my book. I just got a new F150 as I couldn't wait for the 2018 Expedition. I'm amazed by the fuel mileage so far (the truck is not broke in and we are still on winter blend fuel).

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
  • I got a 2016 V8 F150 just for the boat. The build quality on it though is very depressing. Needless to say I paid 37K for in November and it is not worth 26k and it has less than 2,500. On the bright site of things though, when we were at Santa Fe and everyone was pulling over from the snow storm we just kept going.
  • The Seq is a very old design. After getting used to a Q7 the driving dynamics here will be.... deplorable. If you were to get one you better get a killer deal.
  • The LX ( does not share the frame with Seq) is a hell of a vehicle if your commute involves offroading. I have not idea how it will tow, but it was not designed to be tow vehicle.
  • I looked at the Tahoe before I traded in my Pilot for the F150. Big outside, small inside. Actually the interior is smaller than a Pilot ( in terms of occupant space for 2nd and 3rd row). It just could not drop $60K for it. I figured I am better off with F150 & Prius ($61K) than a $60K Tahoe.
Did you do any research on MB GLS? It is pretty comparable to Q7, though not as good at cornering.

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
  • I got a 2016 V8 F150 just for the boat. The build quality on it though is very depressing. Needless to say I paid 37K for in November and it is not worth 26k and it has less than 2,500. On the bright site of things though, when we were at Santa Fe and everyone was pulling over from the snow storm we just kept going.
  • The Seq is a very old design. After getting used to a Q7 the driving dynamics here will be.... deplorable. If you were to get one you better get a killer deal.
  • The LX ( does not share the frame with Seq) is a hell of a vehicle if your commute involves offroading. I have not idea how it will tow, but it was not designed to be tow vehicle.
  • I looked at the Tahoe before I traded in my Pilot for the F150. Big outside, small inside. Actually the interior is smaller than a Pilot ( in terms of occupant space for 2nd and 3rd row). It just could not drop $60K for it. I figured I am better off with F150 & Prius ($61K) than a $60K Tahoe.
Did you do any research on MB GLS? It is pretty comparable to Q7, though not as good at cornering.
I agree I looked at the Tahoe and Suburban and was highly disappointed with the interior room. The 3rd row seat is smaller than some midsize 3rd rows (for leg room and leg height from the seat to the floor).

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I agree I looked at the Tahoe and Suburban and was highly disappointed with the interior room. The 3rd row seat is smaller than some midsize 3rd rows (for leg room and leg height from the seat to the floor).
I was surprised at the GM third row space too. Even in the XLs they didn't add ANY room to the third row! Dumb! On the Audi you can move the 2nd row forwards if you want (split 60/40).

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Go get u a 3/4 ton diesel with a camper shell on the back... if u get an 8 foot bed you can bolt a 3rd row seat back there and put everyone else's foot room to shame!

Hana

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
After owning our Expedition since new in 2005 we ordered a 2017 F250 Platinum Diesel. 39 more days until it's here! Can't wait!!!

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
It is strange to be driving a car that I can do almost anything I want to.....and not change its value! I'd love to see the look on someone's face as I get out of my car at Home Depot, and just start kicking the crap out of it, then key it all the way around and piss in the trunk! If somone comes up and asks me if I'm ok, I'll say...."Fine....the wife won it in our divorce...wanna piss in it too?"

stever40

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@Julian - That may be possible but being that these luxury Denalis are built for comfort they already have a very soft ride. Add on the self leveling suspension bags and you just don't have the same tight suspension that you would with coil over strut/shock.

I have only run into this as a problem when in heavy traffic and the car in front decides to decelerate around a curve. As soon as you take your foot off the gas the boat still wants to move forward and does not want to curve with the truck. Simple solution - more fuel. For 99% of the towing/driving experience I prefer her Yukon over my truck - very nice ride.
What year Denali? My 16 has absolutely no issues when decelerating pulling mine. My only downside I have is the small mirrors

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@stever40 Ours is a 15. I really believe it's due to the airbag system. I feel it mostly when going around curves when going downhill.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Do it have the hill breaking system on it? I drive a 14 for work and it's a little annoying... I don't pull a trailer.. are u sure you brakes are working on your trailer? Maybe they are a little slack and your truck is doing great all the stopping.. just brainstorming!

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The Denali has the grade braking system integrated, but I've never pulled down hills step enough to enact that system. It's pretty flat down where I live.
As for the trailer it pulls wonderfully behind my truck. I truly believe the effect is due to the "softer" ride on the Denali. My 4x4 has a much stiffer suspension on it.
Nothing too bad, we still use her's on every trip. That 6.2 pulls like a champ!