• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Need a new Tow Vehicle as Audi will be buying back my Q7 TDI --what do you have?

ENC boater

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Currently have a 2007 surburban and have started thinking about a new one. I went and test drove the 2017!land rover discovery. Nice vechiles. Third row a little tight for me ( 6') but fine for kids. Towing and most other option you had listed are available.
Would love to hear everyone's thoughts on it.

props2you

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@ENC boater Personally, I had a LR Disco, would NEVER buy another LR ever again. It was more maintenance than any 2 stroke toy I've ever had. And expensive as hell. Heck, the trailer light adapter plug was $50 alone. The whole truck was a money pit... Just my $.02 though. Mine was a 2005 and I swore I'd never buy another one ever. On the plus side it was a TANK and would handle anything I threw at it. Snow, mud, water etc.

JetPowered

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
@JetPowered does your Audi have the trailer assist? (as shown below) If so, how do you like it?

@Julian, just saw your question. As you already surmised, this feature is not available on US Q7 models. No matter for me, I can pretty much put my trailer anywhere the first time.
Towing notes from out trip a few weeks ago:

Adaptive cruise control was actually nice to have when towing. Not normally a cruise control guy when towing because it's important to stay aware of traffic conditions and react. I used the adaptive cruse to help me keep my distance from the vehicle I was following when using sections of tight four lane traffic. Adaptive will apply the brakes if necessary to keep you at your set distance. Combined with lane keep assist, you stay planted in the lane exactly when you intend to be.

Secondary benefit of adaptive cruise control is adaptive speed setting. When you cruise from a 70-55 speed zone, that cruise can read the sign, recognize the change is speed limit, display speed limit in the Heads Up display and dash and the slow the vehicle down to 55. The same happens when you move up in speed. The CC keeps adjusting the speed setting to the speed limit. You can then override as necessary.
A second turn indicator for the trailer lights is activated when it sees a trailer load. This is a euro thing I have seen in other euro cars, but in the case it did help when the 7-pin did not seat properly and I had no indicators.

Heads up display is awesome for towing. It's actually awesome PERIOD! It's my wife's favorite feature on the vehicle.

Regarding no touch screen, it's both good and bad. I like the CarPlay setup in the MMI screen. However CarPlay is setup to be more touch oriented. A recent Ford F150 rental clearly demonstrated this to me. Not a deal breaker, but it was noticeable. HOWEVER, unlike the Ford, I didn't have to take my eyes of the road to adjust car play settings. Just a flick of the wrist and a glance at the screen which is in perfect sight go the road since it rises out of the dash. The Ford screen was where one expects the radio to be, down and in the dash. I was driving distracted when trying to touch the right part of the screen. No question about it.

If you have more towing questions on the Q7 fire away!

GoVols01

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
The Armada and Infiniti QX80 are the same vehicle mechanically. If the QX80's design doesn't do it for you, then you should check out the Platinum Reserve version of the Armada. Both vehicles are built on the same assembly line in Japan while the 5.6L V8 engines are built at Nissan Engine Plant in Decherd, TN. Interesting fact, the Decherd Engine Plant also produces engines for Mercedes.

At any rate, both the QX80 and Armada will check all your option requirement boxes. I had a 2015 Armada Platinum Reserve and it was a very nice truck. With the smoked chrome rims and accents, it was a head turner. Each Nissan I've had has been a very reliable vehicle too.

I'm pulling my 3,200Lb Regal 1900 with a Pathfinder. With trailer, it's somewhere around 4,400Lbs. The 2017 advertises 6K Lb towing capabilities and the Pathy does a fine job towing the boat. I've had 3 Pathfinders now, as I get a new vehicle every year through my company.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
A second turn indicator for the trailer lights is activated when it sees a trailer load. This is a euro thing I have seen in other euro cars, but in the case it did help when the 7-pin did not seat properly and I had no indicators.
This is a really nice feature....I have it on my 2011 Q7. It must be measuring the resistance on the trailer wiring harness, as it will notify me if I have a trailer light out!

Jp127

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Other
I had a Nissan Titan, which is the pickup version of the Armada. It towed my boat, which is on the lighter side, just fine. Fit and finish sucked though. Little things here and there going out, so I traded it in on a 2500 6.4. And the styling on the Armadas is dated.

Last edited:

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I had a Nissan Titan, which is the pickup version of the Armada. It towed my boat, which is on the lighter side, just fine. Fit and sucked though. Little things here and there going out, so I traded it in on a 2500 6.4. And the styling on the Armadas is dated.
Armadas are completely new for 2017/18 - now on the legendary Patrol platform shared with Infinity. The older Armadas are stodgy looking but they could pull more than just about any other SUV.

--

Jp127

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Other
Armadas are completely new for 2017/18 - now on the legendary Patrol platform shared with Infinity. The older Armadas are stodgy looking but they could pull more than just about any other SUV.

--
Had no idea they changed the Armada. That's good then. I did love the look of my Titan, and it was a great half ton tow vehicle. I was just disappointed with all the bugs it had, and the paint issues. My roof started to rust. I went online and discovered many people had that issue as well.

Bryan L

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I hope you guys are enjoying your summer boating!

@Julian I thought I'd throw my hat into this conversation as I just retired my 2002 Tahoe, (at 200k+miles that was an AWESOME truck and did everything I needed it to do) Out where I am, taking the boat out usually requires a nice mountain jaunt to get to most reservoirs. This usually means dragging the boat up and down legit mountain grades for miles upon miles, in the heat, and all at altitude. I had already convinced myself I needed the Denali/Escalade platform to get the additional towing performance. Test drove a few and really liked all the new goodies, but I didn't like the outrageous price tag. My wife suggested we test drive a half-ton P/U to broaden the scope and the rest is history. For easily $20-30k less, I bought a new truck with more towing capability/utility than anything the SUV's were going to offer. It actually ticks me off thinking about the huge premiums for these vehicles and there are very few incentives in comparison. I wrote about this in another thread, but the gap between "having the capability of" and "engineered for" is far greater than what I was expecting. Don't get me wrong, as much as I appreciated my Tahoe, I will never go back. It is tough to justify the ridiculous premium. It's just my wife, our two boys and the dog. I also didn't have to compromise on creature features and most importantly, the factory offered almost 8k off the sticker and a gorgeous blue paint color that the SUV's didn't, making my wife much happier! ;)

On another note, the 5.3L V8 GM offers is more than enough motor. Especially if you stay out of the mountains and altitude. The 8spd trans and a grade braking feature will do more for you than going to the larger motor. Matter of fact, the tow ratings aren't any more a product of engine power than suspension, axles, cooling, brakes and overall weight. The 6.2L is also an 11.5 compression motor. Not sure, but I believe it shares the same heads as the Camaro/Corvette configuration. More compression means more octane and that motor is recommended for 93. It will run on less, but the computer will de-tune the motor to avoid any detonation issues. That was one of my negotiation points. Heck, we don't even have 93 out here!

Even though I ended up with the 6.2L, I test towed the boat with both and they were both plenty! With my configuration (GMC 1500, crew cab, short box, 4x4, NHT or
"max towing package") equipped with either the 5.3L or the 6.2L, the towing specs and GCWR are virtually the same and well over 10k and 16K for those ratings respectively. Don't forget, those ratings are produced by the manufacturer and not a product of some standardized third party evaluation so take them with a grain of salt when comparing vehicles. Also, to be honest we are talking a 6000 lb trailer, at the most!

One last note, with the backup camera on the tailgate, you can hang the tailgate half way at a 45 degree angle and sits perfectly over the ball! It's almost the same perspective as standing behind the bumper and over the hitch. The larger tow mirrors on the NHT package are great too. I especially like the bright LED's that shine down the side of the truck and trailer. Makes backing in the trailer so much easier at night!

I was in the same position as you a few months back. I don't want to give the wrong impression, by no means am I disparaging SUV's. They are fantastic and are great at what they were built for. I wanted more towing/utility rather than people moving. Sadly, I probably used the 3rd row 10 times over the last 15 years. Most of the time I left them out and stored them in the shed. About the modern 3rd row, I wish GM would scrap the solid rear axle on their SUV line and just go with an independent setup, like everyone else, especially since their rear seats are now fold down with that silly sill. I digress, take your time and look at all the options and drive them! Your list has a lot of great options. Good luck and if there are any questions, hit me up!

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Saw the mention of backup camera and here is a view I get with the new MDX. I guess many of you are already use to this but it is a game changer for me.

IMG_0795.JPG

@Julian , mdx is great so far. 9 speed transmission makes the tow effortless and I am getting 15-16 mpg when towing which beats the 10-12 on the old mdx. All of the auto collision and lane correction is interesting and also good precautionary features but you have to know how to use them. This SUV is not an answer for the larger boats but I will be comfortable up to 4000 pounds with this. I like having the SUV and 3 row seating for our day to day. As a daily driver for my wife - A+

Last edited:

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Yeah....a back up camera is a requirement now! I got a rent a car the other day that didn't have one, and it was annoying! (I'm spoiled)

I have my buy out amount....but I'm in no rush to turn in the car as the amount doesn't change for a while! So I'll hang onto the Audi until it needs an expensive service! :)

EmeryZ28

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a 2015 Silverado Z71 LTZ. I absolutely love it. 6.2L so it has 420HP/400TQ. It tows with ease and is loaded with all necessary options. It shares lots of similarities to the Suburban/Tahoe. In my opinion if you want a big dog SUV with plenty of power and room and the options to go from just enough amenities to having it loaded out to near Escalade status you can't beat the Tahoe/Burban! Planning on swapping my wife's 14 Caddy ATS sedan for the new Tahoe RST in another year or so, growing family is getting to big for the sports sedan

EmeryZ28

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Currently have a 2007 surburban and have started thinking about a new one. I went and test drove the 2017!land rover discovery. Nice vechiles. Third row a little tight for me ( 6') but fine for kids. Towing and most other option you had listed are available.
Would love to hear everyone's thoughts on it.

I worked at a high end dealer from about 09-13. Land Rover/Caddy/Hummer/Porsche/McLaren/Lotus were the brands and I have never seen anyone more angry and upset with their purchase than LR owners. Constant headache. Awesome vehicles, but they are just a mess, especially when you step into the Range Rover class.

Bryan L

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@EmeryZ28 Chevy announced the Rally Sport version of the Tahoe right after I bought my Sierra. That would have been a serious contender, but I absolutely love my truck. I may have been just as happy with the 5.3, especially since I can't tap into the full power of the 6.2 out here, but it is hard to find a motor that sounds better than the LT-4. Then again, with the money I saved by going with the P/U vs SUV, I just need to convince my wife that the truck needs a twin screw supercharger to deal altitude loss! :)

EmeryZ28

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Bryan L I added the Airaid MIT Intake tube and drop in filter and did the Diablosport tune and I was happy with the added kick, best part was disabling the V4 mode. I had a hard time deciding between Sierra/Silverado that is for sure.

Bryan L

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@EmeryZ28 I have heard good things about that tune, but it's hard for me to pull the trigger on it. There's always been a little concern of mine when it comes to digging into the code, which is crazy because back when I had a Z28, one of my first mods was a Hypertech tuner. You really like it? It may also help tuning for the altitude as well. A CAI setup is coming for sure. I'd also love to hear this motor with long tube headers!

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I'm still not sure what I'll get in December, but I've narrowed it down to:
  1. Buy back my Audi diesel after they fix it (laugh all the way to the bank)
  2. GMC Yukon Denali XL
  3. Cadillac Escalade EXT
  4. A new Audi Q7 Gas model - especially if they bring the S model Q7 to the US.

Last edited:

Hilario Perez

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I will go with the Ford F-150 EcoBoost turbo it's not big it's comfortable good fuel mileage and it's been a tough and it coming really nice colors the only thing you need to do with it when you get it is put a front level kit and you look great.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
  2. GMC Yukon Denali XL
  3. Cadillac Escalade EXT
  4. A new Audi Diesel Gas model - especially if they bring the S model Q7 to the US.
All great choices. As you are likley aware the GMC gets more aggressive with pricing on the Denali in December. The Denali or your fixed Audi would be my favorites. I also love the current Denali crew cab half ton but can’t justify dumping my current truck. My boys will end up driving that more than me soon.

Dieselpwr

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
  2. GMC Yukon Denali XL
  3. Cadillac Escalade EXT
  4. A new Audi Diesel Gas model - especially if they bring the S model Q7 to the US.
Is the option to sell it back even on the table at this point? What year is your Q? I know there is no buyback option on the newer ones since there is a fix. Reviews on the fix are mixed. Some people are unhappy with the shift points. Personally, I would keep the TDI. Enjoy it while you can as there likely won't ever be another diesel Q7 in the states.