• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Need a new Tow Vehicle as Audi will be buying back my Q7 TDI --what do you have?

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just wish I could get my offer letter on the fix lol my Q5 has been stuck on step 15 for 4 months now.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Yes....my car is elligible for the buy back, and I have it set for December of this year. At which point, they will pay me approx 43K for a car with a blue book value of 26K, or pay me 10k to fix it. So I'm going with them buying it back for obvious reasons. I could likely buy it from the dealer post fix for 26k....maybe less?

Dieselpwr

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yes....my car is elligible for the buy back, and I have it set for December of this year. At which point, they will pay me approx 43K for a car with a blue book value of 26K, or pay me 10k to fix it. So I'm going with them buying it back for obvious reasons. I could likely buy it from the dealer post fix for 26k....maybe less?
Yea, in your case it's a no-brainer

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Check out the 1st episode in the netflix series called "dirty money"? Is is all about the VW situation/scandal as they referred to it. Interesting documentary

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Far too much biased sensationalism to be taken seriously.

But yeah, cash in and buy another for far less. They are getting cheap now that all the profiteers are unloading. I'm rocking a Touareg TDI exec again

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Call me crazy, but I’m pretty much decided to keep my Q7 TDI. The best vehicle I ever owned, hands down. 5yo - and I feel like it has another 20 years of use in it...

I change oil and filter every 3k miles though. It comes out black - I think that's one issue with those clean diesels - operating temps are so high, the ash-less oil gets cooked into tar pretty quickly. I can imagine that sticking with a "dealer schedule" of 10k mile changes must cause damage over time.

I don't mind it though, and its the only thing that's "bad" about the car. Costs about $120 and change (IDParts everything), takes me about 10min nowadays as I got enough practice.

--

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@swatski stay focused on the copart post. You are killing me here.
Damn it, you good. I'm desperately trying to distract myslef... to peel myself off of the copart post...

--

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I'm still not sure what I'll get in December, but I've narrowed it down to:
  1. Buy back my Audi diesel after they fix it (laugh all the way to the bank)
  2. GMC Yukon Denali XL
  3. Cadillac Escalade EXT
  4. A new Audi Diesel Gas model - especially if they bring the S model Q7 to the US.
Have you looked at the the new Expedions or Navigators?

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I probably should...just never been a Ford guy....
I hear you on not being a Ford guy, neither was I. However I was in the market for a pickup and really liked the interior space of the F150 compared to the Silverado’s in the back seat. For the car seats and our dog. I ended up with a 14 F150, never had an issue with it. I would still be driving it today if someone wouldn’t of ran through a stop sign. I was hoping to get a new Expedition however as a result of the accident I was unable to wait for them to come out. I ended up with a 17 F150. Growing up my family had Chevy’s (not sure if it was just that era but we were always getting things fixed under warranty). Anyways with the 2 Fords and almost 60,000 combined miles I have not had one thing fixed under warranty. Keep in mind I left GM back in 2006 to Toyota, up until 2014 we owned Honda’s and Toyota’s. However we did not own a truck or a big vehicle during this time.

Last edited:

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The build quality between a Q7 and F150 is just night and day difference. It will take an adjustment to go from Q7 handling to f150.
Nevertheless, when it comes to towing a boat........ there are times I forget the boat is behind me, so in terms of a workhorse, that thing is awesome.

Full disclaimer: I have never towed with a Q7. I actually never owed one either, but the TT and A4 we used to have were a pleasure to drive.

PEARCE

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I change oil and filter every 3k miles though. It comes out black - I think that's one issue with those clean diesels - operating temps are so high, the ash-less oil gets cooked into tar pretty quickly.
The black oil is due to the engine breathing in the exhaust to burn up more carbons before they go to the exhaust system to be caught by the cats to be burned again in regen before it goes out the tailpipe. That's the way my truck used to operate anyway. It used to create the same black tar oil and get crappy mileage due to the regens and the way the emissions system worked. My oil now looks normal after a 8-10k mile duty cycle and my mileage and power are up after a few things were done to it. I couldn't be happier with the way it runs now.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The black oil is due to the engine breathing in the exhaust to burn up more carbons before they go to the exhaust system to be caught by the cats to be burned again in regen before it goes out the tailpipe. That's the way my truck used to operate anyway. It used to create the same black tar oil and get crappy mileage due to the regens and the way the emissions system worked. My oil now looks normal after a 8-10k mile duty cycle and my mileage and power are up after a few things were done to it. I couldn't be happier with the way it runs now.
Interesting, I did not know that you can make them run that clean! It is soot that makes the oil black, fast. But I would love to know the trick.

I'm primarily going off of the fact that these new TDIs reach exhaust temps approaching 2,000 oF. That is high for any oil, but particularly the ashless variety, like the "507" standard I use in the CATA TDI.

I've done a lot of reading on this. In one interesting article - linked below - the guy makes a few really good points, even if one doesn't completely agree. He recommends oil changes every 3,000 miles - it is somewhere towards the end.
http://www.stephensservice.com/bluetec-diesel-issuesproblems/

Until I find out what to do to keep my oil looking looking clean - I'm sticking with the 3k mile changes. It's not worth it to me, I really like this car.

Please let me know what can be done, hypothetically speaking of course. I read a lot of things but don't know who to trust.

--

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Julian So - are you anywhere close to deciding:
Need a new Tow Vehicle as Audi will be buying back my Q7 TDI --what do you have?

I'm starting to ponder on that, too. I finally checked the VW claims and the amount of $$$ they offer for those buybacks makes me question all my previous assumptions about keeping my Q7... (not going to happen I guess)

--

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

I'm starting to ponder on that, too. I finally checked the VW claims and the amount of $$$ they offer for those buybacks makes me question all my previous assumptions about keeping my Q7... (not going to happen I guess)

--
If you have a 2012 or older Q7 you should sell it back. If you want to stick with a Q7 TDI take that money and go buy one of the heavily discounted 2015 left over new ones after the buy back.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If you have a 2012 or older Q7 you should sell it back. If you want to stick with a Q7 TDI take that money and go buy one of the heavily discounted 2015 left over new ones after the buy back.
Yep. That is crazy.

I actually thought I had a 2013 until more recently, I bought it with something like 25,000 on the clock, like new, so when I looked - turned our it is a 2012! - which means I can drive it/keep it but they don't have a fix, so they have to give me money/buyout if I ask!

I don't want to give it up, but I'll have to - it's too much money... You right I can easily get a 2015 or newer.

I kind of want to look at the new Navigators. You like yours, right?
The great thing about the Q7 though - when you are not towing your boat you can drive it like a sport sedan.

--

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We have now had two navigators and an expedition all three have been great. We have a 2014 Q5 TDI as well so I understand the driving aspects of them they are great also but the money is too much. We had an A3 tdi and a Passat tdi that both went back on the 2.0 buyback same deal money was too much to keep them. The new navigators look awesome and are getting great reviews I have considered upgrading ours to one as well.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

--
Mine is going back in December so I can make the best end of year deal on whatever I decide to get. Still not set on what I will do, but the options are (not in priority order):

1. Sell Q7 back and buy a new Q7 gas model (I love the tech on the new ones).
  2. Sell Q7 back and once they fix it....buy it back for WAY less than their "fix it" offer would have given me.
  3. Sell Q7 back and buy a whole new brand of car: Yukon Denali, Cadillac Escalade, and MAYBE even a Ford/Lincoln....but I've never been a Ford guy.....and have cracked jokes about them my whole life....so this will be interesting! LOL
Heck...my wife can't believe I'm considering Yukon or Cadillac. I wish Toyota made a modern competitive SUV....but they are all so dated! Not looked into if anyone is coming out with an updated 2019 model SUV. Also wish they sold the S Model Audi Q7s over here....

So no....still not decided. @swatski what are you thinking of doing?