• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

need help finding trim piece for 04sx230

In the true meaning you are correct but Yamaha refers to their throttle/shift control as a binnacle.

uh, no.....the 2004 models AR and SX have twin throttles. The 2003 SR and I 'think" '04 SR had single throttles. But neither one of those had a binnacle.

A Binnacle, by definition, is: is a waist-high case or stand on the deck of a ship, generally mounted in front of the helmsman, in which navigational instruments are placed for easy and quick reference as well as to protect the delicate instruments. Its traditional purpose was to hold the ship's magnetic compass, mounted in gimbals to keep it level while the ship pitched and rolled. A binnacle may be subdivided into sections and its contents typically include one or more compasses and an oil lamp or other light source. Other devices such as a sand timer for estimating speed may have been stored in the binnacle as well.

Like I had on my ol' sailboat:
View attachment 22465

The white post with the compass atop is the binnacle.

Indeed, but if you google throttle binnacle, you will see that many (perhaps inappropriately) call the grouping of throttle/drive train controls....a binnacle.

In the true meaning you are correct but Yamaha refers to their throttle/shift control as a binnacle.

Sorry, not to belabor the point, but not in my manual they don't. The controls are referred to as "Throttle/Shift levers. Page 2-7 under Features and Functions.
I did a word search of both the Owner's and Service manuals, the word Binnacle is not found.

Just to be sure I did the same search in the 2014 AR Owner's manual....I've found that they also use the terms Helm and remote control levers, but still couldn't find the term "binnacle".

That's not to say that the use of the term is off-base, typically on a larger sailboat with a wheel and instruments mounted on a binnacle the forward/reverse lever will be mounted to the left on the binnacle and throttle will be mounted on the right side.
To have just engine controls by themselves, whether mounted as they are on the Yamaha or on the side of the cockpit as on many other boats, they are "usually" simply referred to as Controls.

Indeed, but if you google throttle binnacle, you will see that many (perhaps inappropriately) call the grouping of throttle/drive train controls....a binnacle.
You are correct. Throttle binnacle. The two words together make the meaning clear.

Are you talking about this washer? Didn't know there should be anything on it, didn't miss it LOL

IMG_20150526_184138.jpg

Last edited:
my 04 sx 230 has the duel controls, one forward, one reverse.
makes it all that more easy.

the white plastic cap looks like the one shown on the seat, but that's not it. it is hidden by the windshield in that other pic as it would be in that area by the rear most cup holder for the driver.
I like that Loews pic, that's pretty interesting, what department would I find that in?
and I'm at the point, I'll pay the $24 for the two of them just to finally get it.

thanks all!
RJ

My 2004 SX230 has independent left/right engine controls.

As for the part, that looks like something that someone with a 3D printer could churn out.

MOA,
would you happen to have the part number for this cap that covers that washer?
I looked and looked and can't find anything, even the hinged washer/caps at Loews were too small in dia.
Right now, $24 for the correct caps don't sound that bad.
let me know, thanks!
RJ

These should be a common product sold by marine canvas and hardware stores online. I haven't had the time to search. You might be able to buy a bag of 50 for $10.

I would probably try to cover it with the aftermarket part but my concern is,
what's behind the surface that the screw is holding on to?
I don't need to open up a can of worms here.
thank guys
RJ

Where's the 3d printer guy when u need him?

I would probably try to cover it with the aftermarket part but my concern is,
what's behind the surface that the screw is holding on to?
I don't need to open up a can of worms here.
thank guys
RJ

I can tell you what is back there.....a 1/2 inch of empty space, then some plywood that you can feel from the underseat storage area. So the insert is just bolted to the plywood. Might be easiest as some have said to just buy a new bolt with cover.....

What is the point of that washer?

It has an edge that the plastic cap snaps to.

Sorry, I guess what I meant is what does any of it do? I don't see a purpose of any of these parts.

Back