• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

New GoPro camera announced

Volffas

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
GoPro announced today a new camera called Hero4 Session. It looks a lot like a Polaroid Cube. It will be interesting to see how it performs. They have it listed at $399.99

720p 100fps sounds awesome. Waterproof without a plastic holder is great as well. The only real downside that I see so far is that it has a built in battery that is not replaceable. They say it will last up to 2 hours, but we all know how batteries work. So if you are planning on being out all day this isn't the camera for you. But maybe it would be a decent 2nd gopro to take along, still at $399 I think I would just stick with a regular GoPro.

Last edited:
I got an email on this as well and agree it looks like and has similar specs to the Polaroid cube. $400 though when I could get a cube for $100 just does not add up for me.

I was the same way when I saw the announcement today...
"Oh cool, GoPro is making a decent camera at a price that can compete with some of the others out there..."
"Oh you want $400 for it!?"
"No thanks."

The cube isn't waterproof, and I can't find the FPS rate....which probably means its 30 FPS...

The cube isn't waterproof, and I can't find the FPS rate....which probably means its 30 FPS...

I can't find it either. But the cube is only $100 bucks. I'm sure this GoPro does a lot of things that the Polaroid can't (time lapse, burst photos, wifi control etc.) But at $400 I would simply buy another GoPro that I already have extra batteries for.

I can't figure out who they are targeting with this camera. I guess people needing an ultra small camera, but I just don't think that the 2hr battery will be what outdoor enthusiasts are looking for. Make it a replaceable battery and I think it would be a success.

The cube itself is not water proof but you can get a case if it does not come with it that is water proof (just like gopros). I bought a used cube and case from someone here for $50. We use it mostly on our rc cars but I've also used it to take video while I'm on amusement park rides (easy to hold, easy to hide and easier to sacrifice / loose with its low price). Another great feature is the built in magnet for mounting it quickly it also only has one button with five functions (on, off, take a pic or start and stop videoing), so it is really easy to use.

That stated I understand why gopro would come out with their own version of the cube but at $400 plus the loss of some of the current gopro features like the built in LCD on the silver edition which is also $400, I definitely don't know what market demographic they are targeting. I do know that I will not be buying one.

Here is a pic of the cube out of the case and with the cover off (exposing the resolution selection switch, memory card and charging port). The sound is comparable to a gopro I think.

image.jpg

Back