• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New Owner

Ricky Davila

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks to everyone on this forum, for helping me convince myself to pull the trigger. Took her out for a few hours the other day, and it was everything I expected.

Question on the maintenance. For the 10 hr, does doing it yourself void the warranty?

Attachments

jlcj7

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Nice Boat! I did mine myself. i dont think it voids warranty

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The shop manual says you can do it as long as you are competent to do it. So if it came down to a court case and you can prove you're capable of basic maintenance and used quality materials you should be fine. I would use all yamaha stuff myself while it's under warranty but others argue that. I had the dealer do my first 10 hour service just to check everything else out and the price was reasonable to me.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Can't void the warranty - but you need to keep proof that you did all the items required. So keep your receipts and ensure you have the service manual so you can prove you knew what to do. Only have to use materials that meet their specs....they can't force you to use Yamaha brands.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Ricky Davila

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Awesome thanks for the info. I looked over what needs to be done, and it all looks fairly simple. I already bought an oil change kit from Yamaha so now I just need to put some hrs on her.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
that's a great boat, glad to have you on board, make sure you check out the FAQ for lot's of great ideas

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@Ricky Davila - Welcome to our Happy home here ! :Welcome:
Love to see photos of you and the new boat !
Many Blessed Happy Boating Wishes your way !
Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
There are a lot of arguments about what oil to use. You spend 50K+ on a boat, I spend $200 - $300 a week on fuel to tow an and use it, insurance, toys, upgrades, why would a worry about saving $100 a year on using non Yamaha oil. Manufacturers do get their oils custom blended for their engines so why not use it. For me its a no brainer, if I was worried about saving a few bucks I wouldn't have a boat!!

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I always use the Yamaha parts. It helps me stay in good stance with the dealer as well.

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Ricky Davila - I concur with everyone else. Do your own service. Listen to all the other guys on the forum and we'll walk you right through it and another $5,000 in upgrades :)

But before we think about your first service - make sure that you break that new beautiful beast in correctly!! Very very important. Also keep an eye on those screws; they like to work their way loose.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Congrats @Ricky Davila and welcome aboard. Glad to see another California member joining the club ;)

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Warranties are covered by Federal Laws. For a manufacturer to void any part of their warranty the law requires them to PROVE that the aftermarket part , or in this case the oil and filter etc. CAUSED their part to fail.
After they prove that they can only exclude that part they can not void your entire warranty so doing your own service is pretty common in the boating world. That being said lessons are expensive so do your homework before you do your service. When you do the oil I suggest you carefully measure the exact amount you removed, and replace exactly the amount you removed.
Then once you are in the water check the oil level and add any oil you may need , keep in mind not to overfill the oil and try to stay in the middle of the marks on the dip stick. You will usually never get ALL the oil out when you do an oil change so don't worry about it.

Ricky Davila

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for all the advice. I am an aircraft mechanic by trade so I figured the maintenance would not be an issue. I more or less just wanted to make sure that warranty stayed. I dealt with two different deaerships (one much better than the other) and got two different answers.

SCSTWG

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Congrats on the new boat! Great choice.