• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New wire lead on 2020 jet pumps

Maillis

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Does anyone know what the function is of this wire lead that was added to the jet pump on 2020 boats? Any benefit to adding it on earlier models?

3918A467-548F-4322-ABB4-6B78A1849620.jpeg

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Is that some sort of grounding wire? That's really strange...

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
If the reverse bucket is plastic, it can generate static electricity just from the friction of the water and air. My guess is it is a ground of some kind.
It is plastic, but hasn't it been plastic over the last few years? Why would the new models suddenly need to be grounded out...

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
My guess! would be a wire, a pathway to connect an unprotected metal to one that has anodes protecting it. It is at a connection for reverse bucket cable. Just my $.02.

Last edited:

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

ZippyBoater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It is plastic, but hasn't it been plastic over the last few years? Why would the new models suddenly need to be grounded out...
I asked the same question from the guy that sold me my leaf blower and that was his explaination. Probably an OSHA or safety thing now.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I asked the same question from the guy that sold me my leaf blower and that was his explaination. Probably an OSHA or safety thing now.
Some guy got a static shock on a job site once, sued the company, the lawyers make a ton of money, and the price of goods climbs. Got it. :)

ripler

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
My guess it's to protect the metal parts on the bucket from galvanic corrosion since the bucket is plastic. Not the best way to do it, but it I'm guessing it works.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I agree with the wire being there to ground the cable and end for anti corrosion reasons theory. It actually bolts to the bosses on the opposite side of the pump from the anode , probably had some warranty issues with the spring loaded end of the cable corroding and this is a way to avoid that.

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Does anyone know what the function is of this wire lead that was added to the jet pump on 2020 boats? Any benefit to adding it on earlier models?

View attachment 117227
@Maillis .....good pick-up.....it certainly looks like the continuity wire for anti corrosion as found on I/O drives. :cool:

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I noticed the wire and figured it was a grounding wire too. I didn't realize it was new for 2020 though. At least Yamaha is making a few improvements year after year. I didn't expect anything new but was surprised to find new aluminum wheels with my trailer. Improvements are always nice to see.
:D

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Damsroy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Interesting. I will look into adding those grounding wire to my reverse cable connections during the off season.

Bogus

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Im thinking of installing this wire lead on my 2017 242x e. I don't have such a thing but there are problem with corrosion on reverse bucket and connections. Oluld this work for less corrosion on bucket part?

Bogus

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Any updates o this topic yet?

robby76

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
All the answer here are in the right direction. If put together the overall answer comes out in story form...
Some one got a shock, lawyers got involved, turned out to be a lost on the job injury, court awarded millions of $$$$, lawyers Happy, OSHA got involved due to job injury, rules violated, electrical rules were violated, so it won’t happen again a wire is in place now. BUT the older models weren’t grandfathered in.
In my line of work, on those huge high voltage transmission towers a hole is drilled away from each structure eight foot deep, is filled with cathodic powder, a long anode with four leads dropped in and each wire is secured to each metal leg of structure to prevent rust and static pitting causing structure failure. This is my .02 cents.