• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Newbie's Comparison of Yamaha vs Bayliner OB

Tim in MD

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My first post to this great forum, after reading for a number of months. This 62-year-old sailor is about to buy my first powerboat. Over the winter we were fortunate to achieve our lifelong dream of a place on the water (river off the Chesapeake), and we have a dock with a lift, which is looking very lonesome right now.

In my research, lots of folks ask about "jet vs prop" - I just thought I'd give a quick comparison of what I saw yesterday. In the morning we (wife, adult son and daughter and I) tested a Yamaha AR210 and an SX190. In the afternoon a Bayliner VR5 w/115 OB and a VR6 w/150 OB (roughly comparable in length to the Yamaha's). Some general impressions:

First Impressions:
- Stepping on the two different brands, there just seemed to be a quality difference. The Yamaha was solid, no-nonsense, everything well-placed, a great layout. The Bayliner was like a Swiss Army knife - you could flip this seat here, that seat there - but everything just seemed kinda cheaply made. I can't really back this up, and it may be all in my head, but it was the reaction of my family as well as me.
- The Bayliner had a huuuge storage compartment where the sterndrive would have gone. A small family could live in there. But it seemed a waste of space - something that cavernous is hard to keep organized where you can reach very much - and the cockpit size suffered as a result.
- My son liked the sundeck on top of that huge storage area - the rest of us preferred more cockpit room
- The Yamaha swim platform is gorgeous. The OB hanging on the Bayliner is just ugly, and the stern is not somewhere you'd want to be lounging.
- So, before getting on the water, the JB was the clear winner.

The test drive:
- Both salespeople were of course experts in handling the boats - I saw what folks on the forum say that when you learn to maneuver a JB, you can make it move anywhere.
- I found the JB challenging to steer in a straight line at no-wake speeds - looked like a drunken sailor. Not a problem with the OB.
- At higher speeds - I only went to 30 mph - the above problem disappeared, but the OB had a more solid feel - the wheel force was heavier so I could stay on a straight course easier. With the JB the steering wheel force was very light, and any little turn of the wheel would turn the boat noticeably.
- At no-wake speeds, the JB noise was not a problem - could have a normal conversation, although voices raised a bit above dinner-table conversation. The single-engine 4-cylinder 190 was a bit quieter than the 2-engine 3 cylinder 210. However, the OB was amazingly quiet - really didn't even notice the noise. I was very surprised (and actually disappointed, because I knew my decision just got harder).
- At 30mph, you're not having a conversation in any of the boats, although the OB was still somewhat quieter than the JB - but not a big difference.
- Unfortunately we took the JB out in rather choppy conditions, and the water was much smoother where we tested the OB, so that definitely affected the comparison (note that the no-wake speeds were in calm water with both boats)
- to use a poor analogy, the JB was like a Camaro, the OB like a Camry. One was more fun, the other a more practical, family vehicle.

Pricing:
- For a given length, and roughly comparably equipped, the JB was a bit cheaper than the OB. Upgrading the OB on the 20-footer from 115 to 150 HP was a $4000 option
- I like the Yamaha approach of providing a well-equipped boat without a bunch of options, but the local Bayliner dealer orders virtually all of their boats with roughly the same common options. I wish the 190 had a better spot for a chartplotter/depth sounder on the dash.
- Both dealers were willing to take something off the list price without my asking - $1500 on the JB, $2250 on the OB (Bayliner has a current $1250 factory rebate on both boats we tried).

Some comments on the 190 vs the 210 - I went to the dealer planning to try an SX210. I ended the morning having decided on an AR190. Why?:
- The 190 had a lot of room for a 19.5 footer - seemed like it would be very comfortable for my typical max of 6 adults, or maybe 8 for a leisurely putter around the river.
- I'm 6'2" and was comfortable in the bow seating (with my legs a bit more angled towards the center in the shorter boat)
- One engine is easier and cheaper to maintain than two. Also, as I mention, slightly quieter.
- The $12,000 difference will buy a lot of beer.

Why the AR rather than the SX?
- The dealer said that in either length, the AR outsells the SX 5 to 1. Since resale value is always important, I wanted the more popular version
- The bimini cover is kinda flimsy, and we couldn't get one of the support straps to quit vibrating in the wind (tho we didn't invest a lot of time in trying). But, note that the SC bimini provides quite a bit more shade than the tower bimini.
- The tower is a solid structure for grabbing onto - entering, exiting, and standing up underway.
- My son tells me that the higher mounting point will make it easier to get a new skier up on skis
- The AR comes with a bench seat rather than a second captain's chair - I much prefer the bench seat - really opened up the cockpit.
- The tower looks COOL

Bottom Line: I'll be buying an AR190 this week - can't wait to get it in the water!

Apologies for the very long first post - this is just some info that I thought other newbies/prospective owners might find helpful. I'll be posting separately with some questions about accessory equipment - glad to have found an informative, friendly forum!

Welcome to the forum :Welcome:. like you said, lots of good info and good people here. They do really care and try hard to keep you on the water. Please take pictures and we all like to see them. I believe your comparison is very logical and wise. The quality, fit and finish will keep you interested in the brand and hold out over time. No one likes things breaking couple months after taking ownership. As with all boats things happen but can always be fixed. Good luck and take lots of pictures!

Congrats and great write up.

Welcome to a very powerful forum. BUY the 210 now or you will in a year...... but then you will get the 212 lol

Great choice! Congratulations on your new boat. Share pics when you get it on the water.

My first post to this great forum, after reading for a number of months. This 62-year-old sailor is about to buy my first powerboat. Over the winter we were fortunate to achieve our lifelong dream of a place on the water (river off the Chesapeake), and we have a dock with a lift, which is looking very lonesome right now.

In my research, lots of folks ask about "jet vs prop" - I just thought I'd give a quick comparison of what I saw yesterday. In the morning we (wife, adult son and daughter and I) tested a Yamaha AR210 and an SX190. In the afternoon a Bayliner VR5 w/115 OB and a VR6 w/150 OB (roughly comparable in length to the Yamaha's). Some general impressions:

First Impressions:
- Stepping on the two different brands, there just seemed to be a quality difference. The Yamaha was solid, no-nonsense, everything well-placed, a great layout. The Bayliner was like a Swiss Army knife - you could flip this seat here, that seat there - but everything just seemed kinda cheaply made. I can't really back this up, and it may be all in my head, but it was the reaction of my family as well as me.
- The Bayliner had a huuuge storage compartment where the sterndrive would have gone. A small family could live in there. But it seemed a waste of space - something that cavernous is hard to keep organized where you can reach very much - and the cockpit size suffered as a result.
- My son liked the sundeck on top of that huge storage area - the rest of us preferred more cockpit room
- The Yamaha swim platform is gorgeous. The OB hanging on the Bayliner is just ugly, and the stern is not somewhere you'd want to be lounging.
- So, before getting on the water, the JB was the clear winner.

The test drive:
- Both salespeople were of course experts in handling the boats - I saw what folks on the forum say that when you learn to maneuver a JB, you can make it move anywhere.
- I found the JB challenging to steer in a straight line at no-wake speeds - looked like a drunken sailor. Not a problem with the OB.
- At higher speeds - I only went to 30 mph - the above problem disappeared, but the OB had a more solid feel - the wheel force was heavier so I could stay on a straight course easier. With the JB the steering wheel force was very light, and any little turn of the wheel would turn the boat noticeably.
- At no-wake speeds, the JB noise was not a problem - could have a normal conversation, although voices raised a bit above dinner-table conversation. The single-engine 4-cylinder 190 was a bit quieter than the 2-engine 3 cylinder 210. However, the OB was amazingly quiet - really didn't even notice the noise. I was very surprised (and actually disappointed, because I knew my decision just got harder).
- At 30mph, you're not having a conversation in any of the boats, although the OB was still somewhat quieter than the JB - but not a big difference.
- Unfortunately we took the JB out in rather choppy conditions, and the water was much smoother where we tested the OB, so that definitely affected the comparison (note that the no-wake speeds were in calm water with both boats)
- to use a poor analogy, the JB was like a Camaro, the OB like a Camry. One was more fun, the other a more practical, family vehicle.

Pricing:
- For a given length, and roughly comparably equipped, the JB was a bit cheaper than the OB. Upgrading the OB on the 20-footer from 115 to 150 HP was a $4000 option
- I like the Yamaha approach of providing a well-equipped boat without a bunch of options, but the local Bayliner dealer orders virtually all of their boats with roughly the same common options. I wish the 190 had a better spot for a chartplotter/depth sounder on the dash.
- Both dealers were willing to take something off the list price without my asking - $1500 on the JB, $2250 on the OB (Bayliner has a current $1250 factory rebate on both boats we tried).

Some comments on the 190 vs the 210 - I went to the dealer planning to try an SX210. I ended the morning having decided on an AR190. Why?:
- The 190 had a lot of room for a 19.5 footer - seemed like it would be very comfortable for my typical max of 6 adults, or maybe 8 for a leisurely putter around the river.
- I'm 6'2" and was comfortable in the bow seating (with my legs a bit more angled towards the center in the shorter boat)
- One engine is easier and cheaper to maintain than two. Also, as I mention, slightly quieter.
- The $12,000 difference will buy a lot of beer.

Why the AR rather than the SX?
- The dealer said that in either length, the AR outsells the SX 5 to 1. Since resale value is always important, I wanted the more popular version
- The bimini cover is kinda flimsy, and we couldn't get one of the support straps to quit vibrating in the wind (tho we didn't invest a lot of time in trying). But, note that the SC bimini provides quite a bit more shade than the tower bimini.
- The tower is a solid structure for grabbing onto - entering, exiting, and standing up underway.
- My son tells me that the higher mounting point will make it easier to get a new skier up on skis
- The AR comes with a bench seat rather than a second captain's chair - I much prefer the bench seat - really opened up the cockpit.
- The tower looks COOL

Bottom Line: I'll be buying an AR190 this week - can't wait to get it in the water!

Apologies for the very long first post - this is just some info that I thought other newbies/prospective owners might find helpful. I'll be posting separately with some questions about accessory equipment - glad to have found an informative, friendly forum!
COngrats and welcome!!

the one thing you did not mention is your storage/slip plan. If planning to wet slip (especially in salt) I would give the o/b a second look.

Assuming the 190 and 210 you tested were 2019? so, the 190 would have the 1.8 engine - know to be (almost) bulletproof, albeit loud. the 210 would be TR-1, a little less data points on those in boats.

--

My wife saw the swim platform and said "that one". I knew I wanted an OB or jet for easy to maintain. She did not like the OB.

Thanks for the replies. Swatski, I have a boat lift, so no wet slip. The river is brackish, no salinity data, but closer to fresh water than salt water. That was the first question the dealer asked me - if I planned to keep it in a wet slip, they would have recommended against a jet (sounds like same as you). Thanks for the info about the engines. Does your comment mean that the TR-1 been in PWC's for a while?

And, I neglected to include a few big points in favor of the jet for me - my river and dock get shallow (<3') at low tide, so the draft advantage is a big benefit; there is the occasional floating log; and the swimmer safety of a non-prop is certainly nice as well.

Evil Sports, thanks for your comment that I'll want to upgrade to a 210 next year. ? My son has been lobbying for that one as well (of course, it's Dad's money). While most of the usage, and all of the watersports, will be in our well protected river, we may want to make a periodic day trip in the Chesapeake to Baltimore, Annapolis, etc - anywhere from 40-80 miles roundtrip (and only on a calm forecast day). While I could tell the extra weight (and length?) of the 210 made it more stable than the 190, it didn't seem dramatically more stable. The five of us were out on a fairly choppy day - occasional whitecaps - with a lot of other boats/wakes, and it was not very comfortable in either boat. Any comments and/or first hand experience about the difference between these two in handling choppy seas? Safety? Comfort? Will I really want to take either of these boats 40-80 miles in a day (I realize that's highly user-dependent).

Regarding other differences between the 190 and 210: the salesman said he doesn't see a real difference in maneuverability due to the twin engines - he says he never does the "forward on one throttle, reverse on the other - you can do it all with the steering wheel." Also, any comments about maintaining the two smaller engines vs the one larger? Access, time, cost, etc - any comments? Is there a significant benefit of being able to limp home on one engine if the other one dies at sea (i.e. how often does that happen?)

Thanks again for all the help. Again, my first powerboat - I've got a lot to learn.

Twin engines are nice... if u suck something up in a jet that u can't clear u have so ability to maneuver and get to a safe spot... plus the old saying... buy your 2nd boat first. I have an 08 23 footer that has a max of 10 people... it would seem a 19 footer with 8 would be a lot but there are people on here that know much better than me. If u do the maintenance yourself twins are only marginally more expensive...

Thanks for the replies. Swatski, I have a boat lift, so no wet slip. The river is brackish, no salinity data, but closer to fresh water than salt water. That was the first question the dealer asked me - if I planned to keep it in a wet slip, they would have recommended against a jet (sounds like same as you). Thanks for the info about the engines. Does your comment mean that the TR-1 been in PWC's for a while?

And, I neglected to include a few big points in favor of the jet for me - my river and dock get shallow (<3') at low tide, so the draft advantage is a big benefit; there is the occasional floating log; and the swimmer safety of a non-prop is certainly nice as well.

Evil Sports, thanks for your comment that I'll want to upgrade to a 210 next year. ? My son has been lobbying for that one as well (of course, it's Dad's money). While most of the usage, and all of the watersports, will be in our well protected river, we may want to make a periodic day trip in the Chesapeake to Baltimore, Annapolis, etc - anywhere from 40-80 miles roundtrip (and only on a calm forecast day). While I could tell the extra weight (and length?) of the 210 made it more stable than the 190, it didn't seem dramatically more stable. The five of us were out on a fairly choppy day - occasional whitecaps - with a lot of other boats/wakes, and it was not very comfortable in either boat. Any comments and/or first hand experience about the difference between these two in handling choppy seas? Safety? Comfort? Will I really want to take either of these boats 40-80 miles in a day (I realize that's highly user-dependent).

Regarding other differences between the 190 and 210: the salesman said he doesn't see a real difference in maneuverability due to the twin engines - he says he never does the "forward on one throttle, reverse on the other - you can do it all with the steering wheel." Also, any comments about maintaining the two smaller engines vs the one larger? Access, time, cost, etc - any comments? Is there a significant benefit of being able to limp home on one engine if the other one dies at sea (i.e. how often does that happen?)

Thanks again for all the help. Again, my first powerboat - I've got a lot to learn.
If you plan on bringing lots of people (which is what it sounds like), go with the 210. I promise you will not regret it. I had the 192, it's like night and day difference in size. The added room just makes it that more comfortable. Keep in mind the longer your on a boat the smaller it gets. Twins do handle and outperform the 190. And, should anything happen you can always get back.

Personally I chose the 210 over the 19 footers twice! 6 adults will be a load along with all their gear and drinks.

Maintenance on two vs 1. Obviously its double but that does not take long in the first place. The longest part is pumping the oil out.

The jet boats use the space to intelligently, so space wise you will be fine in both. I would be skeptical about 6 adults in a 190 and watersports though.

Thanks all - great stuff - any other comments are welcome! Just to clarify, 8 people, if I ever do it, would only be for a happy hour cruise near the house - combination of no-wake speed and engine-off floating on the river. Would potentially want to take 6 on a longer voyage. Watersports would be also near the dock, so typically 2 or 3 on board plus the skier/tuber.

"This 62 year old sailor"...we don't get old, just a little dinghy. ;) We bought our 07 AR230 3 years ago and love it. Very low maintenance, as compared to our Sailboat. Sure it is louder than the sailboat, but it goes a lot faster. Do you still sail? Or are you done heeling. Welcome to the Best Forum for everything jetboat and more. Remember, buy your second jetboat first. Nice write up. Mods/Add ons like steering fins and trim tabs will make a huge difference.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum! Others have provided lots of good advice so I’ll just add 3 points:

- I’ve owned OBs, stern drives and now 2 jets. The jets are easiest to maintain and much better in shallow areas.
- Bayliner is an entry level brand so it doesn’t surprise me that you found it cheaply made. I’ve never been impressed with them.
- Buy your 2nd boat first as I’ve read on this forum many times. And twin engines will provide you with a lot of peace of mind.

Thanks all - great stuff - any other comments are welcome! Just to clarify, 8 people, if I ever do it, would only be for a happy hour cruise near the house - combination of no-wake speed and engine-off floating on the river. Would potentially want to take 6 on a longer voyage. Watersports would be also near the dock, so typically 2 or 3 on board plus the skier/tuber.

I was going to point out that with a waterfront house most of time half the crowd is on shore while the rest are playing with the boat...except sunset cruises. Sounds like you’ve thought it through.

Just don’t buy a Bayliner :facepalm:

Get the bigger boat! You will regret it in a year if you don't. Better yet..... get a 242. Lol. These boats are light which makes choppy water unpleasant. The bigger the better comfort wise. If you can afford bigger...go for it.

You can't beat the layout on the Yammi's. Quality control is a little iffy here and there however...but you have the best damn forum in the world to help you fix it. Plus, every boat has it's issues anyway. Nature of the beast.

What are the usual quotes..... "Theres no replacement for displacement"....... "buy the bigger boat first"....... "2 engines are better than one".... need I go on?? But for real, the 19s are great boats but they are really a starter boat for small families. When I went to the dealer I was set on getting a 19. Once I got in it with my wife, son and his friend I saw the boat shrinking rapidly. I got in the 21 and was like ohh sh!t and bought it. Your children are going to bring friends, your friends are gonna bring friends and they bring gear, and if there are girls they bring tons of gear. Where you gonna put 6 backpacks and towels and coolers. The dealer that said you dont split the throttles is a fool, anyone with twins will use them to steer the boat. Its actually part of the fun. Servicing them is a breeze and yes the 21s are going to handle chop better.

Back