• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

No Sub moves on an E-Series boat...NONE....not even a small one!

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
So I have confirmed that one cannot do ANY kind of sub move on an E-Series boat....this does suck as I always enjoyed spraying the folks in the front seat with water. I wouldn't put the bow under.

On my boat, when you go to reverse it does NOTHING. It is probably limited by some sort of GPS speed indicator. That said, I do not like not having the ability to STOP the boat if I need to and FAST. Having ZERO reverse at speed totally stinks and could be considered a safety hazard in and of itself.....

Thoughts...????

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tige
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Thoughts?...I think Yamaha reads this forum! ;)

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Do you know what speed the electric controls allow reverse while moving forward? I've read that there is a bit of a delay compared to the non-electric controls. I would think that would make maneuvers around the dock a little more tricky. I for one like the immediate feedback. I guess if you have to stop quickly you'll have to do the spin move like a jet ski. :cool:

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Reverse while moving forward is a useful technique. I often use it at low speed for docking. I almost completed a sub move when a boat turned in front of me. If I had not had the ability to engage reverse we likely would have collided.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
If I was coming from a different type of boat to a new Yamaha I would say it was not necessary to be able to go to reverse. But after 7 seasons of having that emergency brake available, I would sorely miss the fun and the safety it provides. Being able to stop the pull on a tube is where I use it most.
DSCN1883rev1.jpg IMG_2890rev1.jpg IMG_2930rev1.jpg

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@buckbuck
Can't remember if you have a boat name but...
Up Periscope
Down Periscope
Emergency Blow
Dive Dive
Tsunami
Typhoon
all come to mind. That pic never gets old!

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Does the Ruby Jane ever get the emergency brake pulled?

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
lol! You guys are crazy. No way in hell would I do that to my boat!

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don't even think I can do that in my boat (unless I am meeting a decent wave and put a lot more weight in the bow). But I do get a splash up onto the kids in the bow occasionally...

So, then, back to OP: Is it that the jets don't reverse at speed or is it that the gates move too slowly to effectively pull the bow down that far? That has been what I have wondered about the E's. I am doubting that they delayed the response, but I would not be surprised at all to find that when you slam the throttle in a direction that it takes 1-2 seconds for the gates to adjust to that position.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I would assume that the new system of bucket servo motors can't take the torque that's seen during a sub move. That sucks!

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Does the Ruby Jane ever get the emergency brake pulled?
Just enough to to draw a splash and some excitement from the girls! I did have an inadvertent sub in the 210, kind of a mini Buck sub, and it was not well received!!

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don't think it is possible in my 2012 boat. This must have changed gradually. I have never wanted to perform the sub move, but don't think I can if I wanted to. The revs in reverse are limited. I can still use reverse to stop, which is great, but that's about it.
Unless, of course, I just dont know how to do it....:oops:

--

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I don't even think I can do that in my boat (unless I am meeting a decent wave and put a lot more weight in the bow). But I do get a splash up onto the kids in the bow occasionally...

So, then, back to OP: Is it that the jets don't reverse at speed or is it that the gates move too slowly to effectively pull the bow down that far? That has been what I have wondered about the E's. I am doubting that they delayed the response, but I would not be surprised at all to find that when you slam the throttle in a direction that it takes 1-2 seconds for the gates to adjust to that position.
I think they prevent the buckets from being moved into reverse when the boat is moving faster than X mph.

When I took the boat out on Saturday and had a dead battery, I put the batteries into combine mod to start the engines.....was able to. But because the house battery (that runs the drive by wire) was so low, the drive control system had thrown an error (a generic one...would have been nice if it had said - low voltage). With the drive control in an error state I was in an unusual condition. I had engines running, but the gates and throttle controls did NOTHING. After instructions from the dealer, I powered everything down, shut off all the switches and key and brought it back up in combine mode first....and the drive control error went away. The reason I gave this story is that the system almost certainly will prevent gates from moving/throttling when they don't want you to. But I will test this more to see if I can get it to work at all. Reverse in the 24' boats TOTALLY SUCKS....I have to call Jeff to get some fangs...as any improvement will be welcome. But the biggest problem is the lack of reverse thrust.....very weak....

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sheesh. That is scary... That the engine could be going and no gate control....

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Are you guys with the new 24' boats having trouble doing the reverse move to clear the jets?

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
lol! You guys are crazy. No way in hell would I do that to my boat!
While I agree that I wouldn't do that in my boat either. . . . . . I had a blast doing it while piloting my buddy's Malibu Waksetter over Memorial day weekend. While it wasn't exactly a sub move we took a nice wave over the bow that washed back and got everyone.

Missed the fact that it didn't have a scupper drain on the deck like ours, though the bilge pump worked it all out, eventually .

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I can do a sub move in my 2010 242 ls, and 2 of the other 3 jet boats I owned as well. The third was a seadoo with separate throttle and shift levers. the shift lever would not move into reverse until the boat slowed to almost no wake speed. I'm sure this was a mechanical block not an electronic one. Although it is nice to have the feature for safety purposes I don't use it to get people in the boat wet anymore, one submerged and ruined stereo cured me of that.

@Julian, on balance I still wish I had your problem. You have an awesome boat with all the bells and whistles that looks great as well. Congratulations.