• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

No Sub moves on an E-Series boat...NONE....not even a small one!

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Nothing to be leery about. Just get the boat up to 30+ MPH and then move to neutral and then into reverse. The harder you throttle up in reverse, the lower the bow will go. If you don't throttle up hard you will only get a little bit of spray. You have to really gun it HARD to get the bow to go under, and even then, it helps to have to big people up front. Practice it with ever increasing rpms in reverse and you will get the feel for it.
Yup it all starts with just a simple spray over the bow, then a bigger spray, then the spray is clearing the tower.

What I have found is that our boat tends to spin when throwing it in to reverse, and this causes the sudden throw in one direction. And as stated above, if folks are not hanging onto an O-$ht bar, they will end up on the floor. Small sprays, it's a non issue. The family loves it when it's warm out.

When we run the river though, the need for quick reverse as a brake is necessity. Things in the water come up quick, and the need to stop sometimes comes up quick.

Our Sub-move on YouTube is almost to 100,000 views. We will never do that one again now that there is a 10" sub close to the floor. But all stock electronics in these boats are well protected. It's not an issue as they are designed for a certain amount of exposure.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
You need to share that link....we'll boost it up a few more!
Disclaimer: This has been shared on other boating boards, and I am sure most of you have seen it here or there. All those in this video were aware of what was going to happen, as it was not our first sub move of the day. Everyone had PFD's in close proximity, if not wearing them. Everyone, was having a good time, even if they looked frightened, as this was much larger than any sub we had ever done.

No damage was done to the boat, as it was designed to drain out the side of the boat. Engine had no water near their intakes or electronics. Stereo equipment was all mounted in dry spaces where this would not harm them. To this day, there have been no ill effects from the sub, but you will not find me doing it again, as I have added additional speakers below this water line. Enjoy!

Devin Jensen

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Disclaimer: This has been shared on other boating boards, and I am sure most of you have seen it here or there. All those in this video were aware of what was going to happen, as it was not our first sub move of the day. Everyone had PFD's in close proximity, if not wearing them. Everyone, was having a good time, even if they looked frightened, as this was much larger than any sub we had ever done.

No damage was done to the boat, as it was designed to drain out the side of the boat. Engine had no water near their intakes or electronics. Stereo equipment was all mounted in dry spaces where this would not harm them. To this day, there have been no ill effects from the sub, but you will not find me doing it again, as I have added additional speakers below this water line. Enjoy!

impressive but im not trying it!!!

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

LOL! For sale, one gently used 2002 Seadoo Challenger haha.

Yeah I would not be able to sleep at night if I knew my boat had been full of knee deep water. I guess that was the beauty of the early jet boats. They have became too big and advanced to do something like that now.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
LOL! For sale, one gently used 2002 Seadoo Challenger haha.

Yeah I would not be able to sleep at night if I knew my boat had been full of knee deep water. I guess that was the beauty of the early jet boats. They have became too big and advanced to do something like that now.
That's exactly it, that's why safety measures have been installed in boats. For this one, as long as you closed the throttle fully, you could drop it into reverse and throttle it backup. Keep in mind, this puts very little abnormal stress on the bucket or driveline, as the bucket is just getting a shot of reverse. You don't have to throttle it up much to get the bow to dip.

Another note, is that folks think that the entire boat is full of water when you see this much in the boat. Not true, the bilge is nearly dry, and there is no reason for water to go below deck unless we opened the ski locker. It literally will run out the side. And if it were half that amount of water, I would have just throttled it back up and it would have ran out. We just had full capacity people, and more water than normal, so we floated it over to the dock and let it run out. The bilge only had to pump what seeped around the ski locker door.

I'm not sure when Seadoo implemented the anti-reverse that was mentioned in the previous post, but to my knowledge, it doesn't exist. As you just have to closet the throttle full to be able to move the second stick for direction (F-N-R) The newer units with GPS Speedos, maybe had a shift lockout when forward. But that would be as stupid as the new Yamaha feature of the same function. Being able to use reverse for braking or quick slow downs is an essential safety mechanism.

Thanks for not flaming me on this move, as there were tons of comments on Youtube about the safety of my family etc. Nobody was in a bit of danger, but the recording was gold.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Scuba_ref

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Those are great!

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
One of the consequences of the ease of movement of the controls on the E-series boats is that you have to be careful with your hands on the control, in rough waters.
I was on the Chesapeake a few weeks ago for the Blue Angels and the combination of the big boat traffic and the larger Bay waves, it was a good test for a tracking test of the boat, for the Bimini crossing.

Boat tracked like a dream at every angle of approach I tried. Clearly a benefit of the new keel.

I did find that I needed to stabilize my throttle hand (right, pinky and ring finger) on the white fiberglass, above the throttle, to keep from inadvertently changing the speed while keeping balance for myself. Used the other 3 fingers to adjust the throttle (single) as necessary-

@Glen I couldn't agree more about stabilizing ones grip on the throttles! What I've been doing is putting it in single lever mode and just grabbing the base of the lever with fingers on the base and thumb around the post of the lever.
May I suggest the "Cruise" options? I get my throttles where I basically want them (~5500) then just use the cruise buttons to adjust my speed/ RPMs

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
May I suggest the "Cruise" options? I get my throttles where I basically want them (~5500) then just use the cruise buttons to adjust my speed/ RPMs
Adjusting for waves in the ocean often requires frqeuent and substantial throttle adjustment - more than the cruise adjustment would be able to do quickly. And it is those same wavy conditions that makes adjusting the throttle hard.....but like anything...it just takes getting used to. I love being able to throttle back smoothly from plane down to no wake without the usualy powerband drop off the 230 boats had.

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Adjusting for waves in the ocean often requires frqeuent and substantial throttle adjustment - more than the cruise adjustment would be able to do quickly. And it is those same wavy conditions that makes adjusting the throttle hard.....but like anything...it just takes getting used to. I love being able to throttle back smoothly from plane down to no wake without the usualy powerband drop off the 230 boats had.
What?!? You're supposed to speed up for the waves and rollers...makes jumping them even more fun :-D

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
From my earlier jetboating years.
recovered_2398218.JPG recovered_2446474.JPG

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
So I have confirmed that one cannot do ANY kind of sub move on an E-Series boat....this does suck as I always enjoyed spraying the folks in the front seat with water. I wouldn't put the bow under.

On my boat, when you go to reverse it does NOTHING. It is probably limited by some sort of GPS speed indicator. That said, I do not like not having the ability to STOP the boat if I need to and FAST. Having ZERO reverse at speed totally stinks and could be considered a safety hazard in and of itself.....

Thoughts...????
Although interesting to watch....why would I want to flood my $70,000 boat?

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Although interesting to watch....why would I want to flood my $70,000 boat?
You wouldn't want to FLOOD it. There are degrees of sub moves, and the ones I would do all the time simply spray the people in the bow with a some water....no standing water at all, just a cool mist/spray. Quite refreshing actually!

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
You are nuts!
If I could afford to have 2 boats...I'd have kept my LX210 and would have purchased a submarine commander cap! It was the ultimate sub machine....270HP (2 cycle power) in a 19' boat with a low bow! I sub'd it twice as I didn't want to abuse my only boat....but I'm sure one could get one cheap now and have a lot of fun!!!!