• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

No Sub moves on an E-Series boat...NONE....not even a small one!

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Don't you have detents that let you know where you are at? I guess I am going to have to find someone with one of these E throttles and try it out.

JC6275

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
If I was coming from a different type of boat to a new Yamaha I would say it was not necessary to be able to go to reverse. But after 7 seasons of having that emergency brake available, I would sorely miss the fun and the safety it provides. Being able to stop the pull on a tube is where I use it most.
View attachment 39188 View attachment 39189 View attachment 39190
So.....completely off topic, But seeing the sub move captured so well in these pics. And loving to do at least one per outing, The delima of what to name my old 2smoker LS2000 just hit me like a ton of bricks.......from this day forward it will be named "OVER SPRAY"

Glen

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
TL;DR whole thread (tired)

30+ hours into driving 242x and no operational issue w/ rev thrust velocity. No interest in sub move

Have added the Cobra suite (AK's + Fangs) b/c We highly value enhanced depowered turning & rev control.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Don't you have detents that let you know where you are at? I guess I am going to have to find someone with one of these E throttles and try it out.
There are small detents, and I'm getting used to them and the position of the levers (which isn't vertical for neutral...or doesn't seem like it...it isn't a 90 degree angle from the surface which also makes it strange)

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
TL;DR whole thread (tired)

30+ hours into driving 242x and no operational issue w/ rev thrust velocity. No interest in sub move

Have added the Cobra suite (AK's + Fangs) b/c We highly value enhanced depowered turning & rev control.
Glen, did you have an older model Yamaha, or is this your first? My experience may be different because I am used to having much more reverse thrust...and love spraying my daughter and her friends....(in fact got that request the first time out with the new boat!)

Glen

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@Julian
We had a 232LS in 09-12.
I have not noted a loss in reverse thrust, but it may be that I had Cobra's on the 232 from early on, and have them on this 242 n0w.

I never tried a sub move and therefore don't have kids with any expectation.

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Julian
We had a 232LS in 09-12.
I have not noted a loss in reverse thrust, but it may be that I had Cobra's on the 232 from early on, and have them on this 242 n0w.

I never tried a sub move and therefore don't have kids with any expectation.
I was not under the impression that Cobras are meant to impact the reverse "Thrust". . . . . just enhance the steering when thrust is applied.

Ajax

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
"Can't stand water in the boat". Try having three kids and beaching every weekend. It's not the water, it's the sand that drives me crazy.

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

cabbie

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
Tried to submarine yesterday -- No go! Max power in reverse is limited to 5000 RPM. The bow lowered about half way during the maneuver and we traveled about 6 boat lengths before stopping. Oh well.

Glen

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
There are small detents, and I'm getting used to them and the position of the levers (which isn't vertical for neutral...or doesn't seem like it...it isn't a 90 degree angle from the surface which also makes it strange)
One of the consequences of the ease of movement of the controls on the E-series boats is that you have to be careful with your hands on the control, in rough waters.
I was on the Chesapeake a few weeks ago for the Blue Angels and the combination of the big boat traffic and the larger Bay waves, it was a good test for a tracking test of the boat, for the Bimini crossing.

Boat tracked like a dream at every angle of approach I tried. Clearly a benefit of the new keel.

I did find that I needed to stabilize my throttle hand (right, pinky and ring finger) on the white fiberglass, above the throttle, to keep from inadvertently changing the speed while keeping balance for myself. Used the other 3 fingers to adjust the throttle (single) as necessary-

Attachments

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@Glen I couldn't agree more about stabilizing ones grip on the throttles! What I've been doing is putting it in single lever mode and just grabbing the base of the lever with fingers on the base and thumb around the post of the lever.

Glen

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@Glen I couldn't agree more about stabilizing ones grip on the throttles! What I've been doing is putting it in single lever mode and just grabbing the base of the lever with fingers on the base and thumb around the post of the lever.
Everything in boating is about trade-offs. If you want 1 thing, you almost always have to give up something else-

Yup, I like my hand on the base when sitting low behind the wind screen but in rougher waters, I like to get higher, over the wind screen so find I need to come at the throttles from above-

Godspeed,
Glen

ncnmra

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I'm very leery to attempt this, the thought of water inside all over everything is disconcerting at best.... BUT getting a bit of a splash up front may be fun for older kids. A few questions:
1) What is the "sub move" protocol exactly (speed, throttle position, etc)
2) What is a "minimum" speed to attempt just to get a bit of splash up front without going crazy?

I assume the deceleration is pretty sudden so everyone should be holding on tight, right? I had an incident last year where my mom was holding my 6-yo daughter, who wanted to do a "loop-de-loop", which we had done a few times, but when I turned in hard, the couldn't hold on and flew across the cabin, hitting the captain's chair. I felt horrible even though we had done it many times in the past without incident. Grandma had a bruised arm for a week :(

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I'm very leery to attempt this, the thought of water inside all over everything is disconcerting at best.... BUT getting a bit of a splash up front may be fun for older kids. A few questions:
1) What is the "sub move" protocol exactly (speed, throttle position, etc)
2) What is a "minimum" speed to attempt just to get a bit of splash up front without going crazy?

I assume the deceleration is pretty sudden so everyone should be holding on tight, right? I had an incident last year where my mom was holding my 6-yo daughter, who wanted to do a "loop-de-loop", which we had done a few times, but when I turned in hard, the couldn't hold on and flew across the cabin, hitting the captain's chair. I felt horrible even though we had done it many times in the past without incident. Grandma had a bruised arm for a week :(
Nothing to be leery about. Just get the boat up to 30+ MPH and then move to neutral and then into reverse. The harder you throttle up in reverse, the lower the bow will go. If you don't throttle up hard you will only get a little bit of spray. You have to really gun it HARD to get the bow to go under, and even then, it helps to have to big people up front. Practice it with ever increasing rpms in reverse and you will get the feel for it.

Kane

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
I had a situation 2 weeks ago when launching my boat after the dealer fixed the gas gauge....it was extremely windy, but confident in my handling of my last boat I really wasn't too nervous. After just pulling off my trailer, I was being swept to the left and I gave it all I had in reverse to bring it around but unfortunately it was not enough....I pushed into another boat! So needless to say I wasn't happy and scratched my brand new boat...and ego! The other boat was fine, thankfully!
I kept thinking this f-ing thing has no reverse thrust! Then my dealer informed me that if your full throttle in reverse, you can tap the no wake + to increase the reverse RPM's. I gotta tell you, this sucks because when the shit hits the fan and your trying to maneuver, stop or react, the last thing I'm wanting to do it try to find another button to press to increase my revs!

The one thing I'm looking forward to regarding the E-Series boats is aftermarket companies will have some programmers or tuners for not only performance but also delete options for some of these shit safe guards.

We'll have to see...

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I had a situation 2 weeks ago when launching my boat after the dealer fixed the gas gauge....it was extremely windy, but confident in my handling of my last boat I really wasn't too nervous. After just pulling off my trailer, I was being swept to the left and I gave it all I had in reverse to bring it around but unfortunately it was not enough....I pushed into another boat! So needless to say I wasn't happy and scratched my brand new boat...and ego! The other boat was fine, thankfully!
I kept thinking this f-ing thing has no reverse thrust! Then my dealer informed me that if your full throttle in reverse, you can tap the no wake + to increase the reverse RPM's. I gotta tell you, this sucks because when the shit hits the fan and your trying to maneuver, stop or react, the last thing I'm wanting to do it try to find another button to press to increase my revs!

The one thing I'm looking forward to regarding the E-Series boats is aftermarket companies will have some programmers or tuners for not only performance but also delete options for some of these shit safe guards.

We'll have to see...
Going to have to try this...but as you say....sounds like a PITA...let ME control the throttle...not the computer!

Glen

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Nearly guarantee that I have the most dinged up '16 on the water right now. Must have 6-8 'sticker' scrapes on the sides of my X.
Wind, Bimini, docks,..., inexperience w/ new system.
If I had better accounted for the natural forces (wind & current, mostly) my need for mechanical forces would not be the issue.

I've added the Cobra products to help but the real difference is my improved accounting & predicting of the natural forces. Never ending journey of learning. (And my stickers may need to come off, to hide my learning curve).

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I know, I know. I need to loosen up a bit. Esp as my toddler son gets older. I know he will be all over the boat with water, mud, food, and god knows what else haha.
Barf, snot, urine, blood.......I'd hate to have had a lab do an analysis of the back seats of the minivan we had when the kids were little..BIOHAZARD, LOL......Kids are gross but I wouldn't trade mine for the world.

Wait until he's a teen and borrows it for dates....Talk about bodily fluids...YIKES.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Tried to submarine yesterday -- No go! Max power in reverse is limited to 5000 RPM. The bow lowered about half way during the maneuver and we traveled about 6 boat lengths before stopping. Oh well.
Huh....didn't know they limited this on other non-E-Series boats too.... :(:depressed: