• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

No Thrust from either engine

Glads77

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
IMO it appears the clean out plugs are very warn. The edges appear rough and in need of replacement.

Your impellers have a few nicks and dings on the leading edges, but don’t appear terrible & I couldn’t image they are the root cause. Also the tunnels appear smooth & clean.

Can you provide a few pics from the top of the plugs?

Also you mentioned putting your weight into it with a board. For clarification was that pushing up or down?

If you haven’t already, I would source the rebuild kits so once you get ‘em out you can rebuild them and see if that was your issue.
I noticed the plugs also but wasn’t sure if that was wear, salt, or glue. I can send pictures of the top of the plugs next time I’m at the boat. With the board I was pushing down trying to get them to lock in place, but the dogs never caught or clicked

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I noticed the plugs also but wasn’t sure if that was wear, salt, or glue. I can send pictures of the top of the plugs next time I’m at the boat. With the board I was pushing down trying to get them to lock in place, but the dogs never caught or clicked
You might use the 2x4 and a floor jack thru the grate

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
The gasket doesn’t appear to be seated well on the plug. When looking at the pic, it appears to be separating from the plug, which could bunch up and not allow the “dog” to catch. Interesting plug design though. A lot different than my 2012. I wonder if the rebuild kits work for a 2007. If so, I think you should try that.

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The gasket doesn’t appear to be seated well on the plug. When looking at the pic, it appears to be separating from the plug, which could bunch up and not allow the “dog” to catch. Interesting plug design though. A lot different than my 2012. I wonder if the rebuild kits work for a 2007. If so, I think you should try that.
I believe his plugs are stuck as well.

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
After looking at your plug again, I think you could be right about being glued in. What I thought was a rubber gasket now looks like glue or caulk. Maybe consider ordering new plugs and just drill these things out.

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I just don't see how a stuck plug would cause "NO THRUST"
I get this, but perhaps they’re stuck at an angle like @HangOutdoors suggested. The fact that water accumulated on top made me think they weren’t at an angle, but if they are indeed glued in, could that keep the water from draining while at the same time allowing air to escape?

Glads77

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Only other thing the seller mentioned was that someone else looking at the boat had pressed the “free accelerator” buttons which is the black circle at the bottom of the throttle levers. They’re definitely not still pressed in and the gates move up and down while on the trailer. I would assume they do the same with the engines on and in the water

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Only other thing the seller mentioned was that someone else looking at the boat had pressed the “free accelerator” buttons which is the black circle at the bottom of the throttle levers. They’re definitely not still pressed in and the gates move up and down while on the trailer. I would assume they do the same with the engines on and in the water
That would definitely give it the neutral reaction that you mentioned if that button was still engaged somehow. I would think the gates would move regardless so it very well could be that button was stuck when you were trying it out.

Glads77

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That would definitely give it the neutral reaction that you mentioned if that button was still engaged somehow. I would think the gates would move regardless so it very well could be that button was stuck when you were trying it out.
We did check that the gates moved prior to going out but maybe something weird happened. I might hook it up to water and give it a quick rev with the engines running to make sure the gates move. Maybe being paranoid now lol

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Okay. Make you sure you follow the order, engine on, then water in followed by water out then engine off. While it’s running, check the pisser as someone else mentioned.

Glads77

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Circling back on this. We were able to get the boat out a couple of weekends ago and it seemed to work fine this time. Only differences were that I filled the cleanout port holes back with water and instead of attempting to reverse the boat off the trailer, we walked it off with ropes and tied it to the dock before starting the engines. I’m chalking it up as user error the first time. Thank you everyone for your suggestions and input!

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Gates do open and close fully. Plugs still won’t latch, but for all I know they may be glued. Can’t tell if that’s glue or salt on the plugs from the pictures. I put all my weight into them with a board and they didn’t move.
View attachment 179399View attachment 179400View attachment 179401View attachment 179402

Your plugs look like they might be glued in, you can see a ring of white around the edge of the plug.

1655220076683.png

On this plug (someone else's boat), you can see there is no white ring around the plug:

1655220478785.png

So I'm not sure your plugs are the cause of your thrust problem. Can't rule it out, but they look to be sealed in (bad idea by whoever did that). Air might be getting sucked through, but if you say that water sits on top of them, then they are probably sealed.