• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

On water. Blown fuse. Need help!

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
you should pinch at "C",
if you are unsure of how good you clamp is you may want to remove the hose at the engine side of "C" also but monitor for any water coming in,

you may also want to run with that engine the throttle in full forward to help prevent water pressure build from the bucket being down on over the jet in the neutral or reverse position

I wouldn't swap the good fuse either until you are at the dock at least,

Boat Crazy

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Swap out fuse with other side just to see if that is the problem. I'll check my boat for extra fuse now.
Not sure I would swap fuses. If you blow them both with no spare then you have no engines to run.

Eric Popper

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Jasoraso, Your message came after my post. I see it. Thx.

E

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
This is what makes this site so great!

Volffas

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This is what makes this site so great!
Agreed. Eric had good solid answers in a matter of minutes and now I know to check my ECU on my 2007 boat for spare fuses before going out next time.

Eric Popper

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So here's the ending. I'll let you know if it's happy later.

We limped in slowly and then pinched the line and then a little faster.

At the marina we obtained replacement fuse(s). I replaced it and now have 2 spares.

I have never run on one engine so I pulled the plugs and cranked the motor to make sure the cylinders were clear (they were).

After I replaced the plugs, it cranked and started in 2 seconds as always.

After lunch back to the lake!

The only unanswered question is why it blew.

Thanks for all of the quick responses!

Eric

Greg M

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
"The only unanswered question is why it blew"

solar flares, lunar alignment, Jupiter and Venus too close, factory manager's wife left with his best friend and took his dog also the night before... who knows but I wouldn't be too worried, if you put a new one in and all is fine, its is highly likely its an anomaly and just one of the "huh" things.

I would check that all battery wires are tight and all wires in connections attached to battery are solid to be safe but otherwise, game on

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

maboat

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Oddly, I believe the starter motors are wired through this 20a fuse. The ECU itself doesn't need anywhere close to 20a. The starters pull around 16a last I checked and the ECU might use 2a (guessing). The cables from the battery go to the ECU box and then on to the starter. The starter relay is inside the ECU box. And I believe (not 100% certain) that it all goes through this fuse.

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
"The only unanswered question is why it blew"

solar flares, lunar alignment, Jupiter and Venus too close, factory manager's wife left with his best friend and took his dog also the night before... who knows but I wouldn't be too worried, if you put a new one in and all is fine, its is highly likely its an anomaly and just one of the "huh" things.

I would check that all battery wires are tight and all wires in connections attached to battery are solid to be safe but otherwise, game on
First, I, like all of here, are HAPPY to learn @Eric Popper is not only back running again, but has no other issues, besides some heartburn and lost time.

I however, was really impressed with the above list of possible causes.

SO I propose we construct a VOTE OFF as to the best POSSIBLE cause.

My vote is on Jupiter and Venus too close !

Best Wishes to all, Mikey Lulejian (Lake Oconee, GA)

And I DID learn quite a few things from this thread.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That's the starter fuse as Maboat pointed out. If it keeps blowing, you'll need to look at things closer.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
just checked both of mine and I have spares !!! the fuse box does say "battry", "motor", "starter" above each spot,

Greg M

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
First, I, like all of here, are HAPPY to learn @Eric Popper is not only back running again, but has no other issues, besides some heartburn and lost time.

I however, was really impressed with the above list of possible causes.

SO I propose we construct a VOTE OFF as to the best POSSIBLE cause.

My vote is on Jupiter and Venus too close !

Best Wishes to all, Mikey Lulejian (Lake Oconee, GA)

And I DID learn quite a few things from this thread.
lol My point is/was after he posted he made it back ok, put a new fuse in, and all is good...... sometimes a fuse just goes. There isn't an omg something is horribly wrong reason. If it happens again, time to break out the multimeter and shop manual! But being around cars for 22 years, I can 100% confirm seeing several instances where a fuse "popped", put a new one in, and years later its still there waiting to do its job. ;D

Last edited:

smthng

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Heading out with family this weekend, want to add this to my list of stuff to take care of first... Are they standard 20amp automotive blade fuses? Knowing saves me having to run home, check the boat and run back out to get them when the auto parts store is right next to my office. ;)

Eric Popper

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a theory about what happened. I recently took the battery cables off to put rubber covers on the terminals. I wonder if that created a power surge that weakened the old fuse....

Eric Popper

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The fuse type looks like the typical automotive but maybe smaller. I took it out and with me to the marina. The guys found some that looked exactly like it and it worked...

Eric

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Here's a pic of my fuse box. It appears that the ones on the left are spares and that the ones on the right are in use. I'm not sure why, but neither of my fuse blocks had a 30 amp spare. But I keep an assortment in my toolbox anyway. There's also a fuse puller stored in the cap. Hope this helps someone out in the future. ;)image.jpg
image.jpg