• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Plug clean out frustated!!!! help

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yes, that's how it works. You are only replacing the bottom of the plug. Video will help.

Keith Gray

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
OK I see now. Thanks to everyone on this today! I am sure as a newbie I will be back with more dumb questions!

Coheeba

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
there are no dumb questions only dumb people who don't ask questions

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I know you are convinced now, but fully functional cleanout plugs are not optional in these boats. With plug issues you could be stranded, damage the boat, or worst case flood the boat/ruin engines with partially installed or blown plugs.

Keith Gray

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I agree. I don't want to put my family and/or friends in any kind of danger. Like I said in a previous post, I wish the sales person would have educated me a little more, but he might have been afraid of scaring me away lol. I am going to go ahead and do the replacement kit too. I bought this boat used. Since the other owner bought it new in 2009 and only put 88 hours on it in all that time, it set in dry storage forever. That is good in some ways, not so good in others. By replacing the bottom part of the plug, installing the ez lock, spraying lubricant and taking them out between uses hopefully I will be able to enjoy this boat now. (All things I learned on this forum today!) thanks all

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
does your marina have to drive your boat at all to get it out of the water or do they just use a rope and walk it to the hoist??

If they have to drive it you'll have to leave the plugs in (so they can have thrust) and I probably wouldn't have faith that no matter how many notes or reminders you left them they would remove them before they put the boat away,

Does your marina flush the engines also ? If so I would definitely leave a note about "Engines on, then water on, / water off then engines off"

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Yes it is a simple job to replace the bottom half of the plugs and the gasket, once you clean the ring that the plug seats in you should be fine then I will throw in my reverse move to really mess with your mind LOL,, but honestly it is a move that you will learn to count on and you will seldom need to use the cleanout plugs .

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I agree. I don't want to put my family and/or friends in any kind of danger. Like I said in a previous post, I wish the sales person would have educated me a little more, but he might have been afraid of scaring me away lol. I am going to go ahead and do the replacement kit too. I bought this boat used. Since the other owner bought it new in 2009 and only put 88 hours on it in all that time, it set in dry storage forever. That is good in some ways, not so good in others. By replacing the bottom part of the plug, installing the ez lock, spraying lubricant and taking them out between uses hopefully I will be able to enjoy this boat now. (All things I learned on this forum today!) thanks all
I know it sounds like a lot, but I myself coming from the inboard/ outboard market. I always have had plenty of things to do to the boat. I was very skeptical of the lack of maintenance on these boats, I always thought I am missing something. Now I have to find things to do and often they are not boat related. There really is not a lot to do. Rebuild your plugs, install the ez locks, and enjoy.

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
So that is a double edged sword if you remove your clean out plugs from the holes while you store them DO NOT leave the T handles in the UP position , rather push them to the locked position , for 2 reasons, the small spring that operates the tray will be extended not compressed , compressing the spring weakens it secondly the plug gets water sand etc. inside it .
If you allow the contaminated water to evaporate while the tray is in the unlocked position you are allowing the particles to be left in the track forward of the tray and this is one reason the trays do not go all the way forward to lock properly.
When you realize the cleanout plug is just forward of the pump and the bottom of the plug is also the bottom of your boat,
to make that worse it is in the intake tunnel so hitting waves puts a huge amount of force on the bottom of the plug , this is the force that knocks the plug loose and often blows the rear hatch open etc. These plugs are in all Yamaha jet boats from the year 2000 to the recent change to the twist in plugs .
Good info on not leaving the T handles unlocked, Jeff. I always leave my plugs out when not in use, and religiously spray silicon on them, but this is the first I have heard about the T handles....thanks again!

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
OK I see now. Thanks to everyone on this today! I am sure as a newbie I will be back with more dumb questions!
Let us know how the plug maintenance goes and if that solves your problem....and enjoy many years of boating!

Keith Gray

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
OK I have bought new plugs and will be putting them in the boat. I also bought the clips that will keep them in. I will pull them in and out every time I boat and use some spray lubricant to keep them tip top.
I do have another issue that I wanted to get everyone's thought on. The hole that I put the plug in has a white plastic casing I guess you would call it at the top of the hole.
It appears that from the prior owner pulling the plugs out when they might be stuck, the white casing is not flush and is kind of sticking out. So when I try to pull plugs out it is fighting against me. Can I use a box cutter to cut some of the "flange" or casing where it is bent so that I can get the plugs out ? thoughts ??

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That flange/protrusion provides room for the Hose clamp under it to keep the black hose taught against the plastic white piece.

If you had x Ray vision you could see the hose clamp around the black hose and white plastic right on that piece that's giving you grief.

Don't trim it. If you have protruding pieces try to push them out towards the black hose and see if they stay out of the way. The piece does come out and you may be able to take it out and "fix" some way with glue, epoxy,etc.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
A picture might get you a better answer,

is it the cleanout hatch cover itself the edge of it rolls down into the hole got it's edge bent?

Keith Gray

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
It’s not part of the hatch cover. It is a white piece that starts at the top of the hole and goes down several inches. So when you pull the plugs out the end of the white tubing piece is not flush so the plug gets stuck because the hole is not big enough to pull it out cleanly. I would get you guys a pic but my boy is on dry storage and I am too far away right now to go to marina and have them pull it down

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yep, I stand by my statement. Also if you carefully lift and center they should come out without too much fuzz... Best of luck!!

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Like the area with the circle below? The right side is what it looks like if you take the tray out.

Attachments