• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Plugs <what to lube them with?>

Ronald

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
So whats the latest and greatest to lube the clean out plugs..2014 242 ls

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I remove them after use and don't use any

Others use pool gasket lubricant
If you use search you'll find some

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I also use nothing as I feel any lubricant will attract dirt. I just keep the plug skirt and metal tube clean.

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I pour just a little water over each gasket and it works like a charm. One water bottle gets me about three launches.

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I use a silicone spray too keep things from drying out.

W3bexec

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I use CRC silicone spray and it does pick up some dirt like Gym said. Still using it regularly but I need to wipe the dirt off now and then.

Zizzou 192

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Definitely clean and dry is the way to go. BUT...if you keep you boat in the water in a dirty or weedy lake and keep the plugs locked in place in the clean out tube while the boat is left in the wet slip like the manual says, the plugs will eventually swell and get stuck in the tube or swell enough so it is extremely difficult to get them back in while bobbing around in the middle of a busy lake. Ask me how I know. Since I do not carry around a 00-16 plug rebuild kit, and have no intention in cleaning the plug, gasket, pvc tube, aluminum seat, or metal dogs before and after every outing, I use pool lube now. Lubegard Zer0 had reviews on Amazon that said it repels dirt, and I can confirm from use that it does, however improbable that may seem. It is rather thin and seems to last for about a month or so. Allegedly it can be applied on the outside of the seized o ring joint to ring but I have not had the opportunity to attempt that ninja move yet. Can confirm it definitely shrinks a swollen o ring when applied directly to it. This year the boat is parked on a very clean lake so using the Lubegard Zer0 is probably completely unnecessary, but it is going on the plug and staying in the boat toolkit anyway.

Noko

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I use silicone spray at the start and end of the season. I take the plugs out every day when we are done.

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You may tally me into the silicone pool gasket lube camp. A thin film of it goes a long way. And I have not had any dirt issues.

That said, I think the most important point is that they should be removed when out of the water. I leave my hatch open and them sitting on the back deck. That way I can't even try to start the engines without putting them in. Not that that has ever happened... :rolleyes:

jjmparsons

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I go with a light coat of silicone spray myself. Plugs always pulled after every outing and wiped down after use and if needed, prior to install as well. Rarely do I find a large amount of dirt/ debris on the plugs due to the silicone spray but even if so, its easy enough to wipe off.

S1LV3R4D0

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
This is what Yamaha says on the subject (does not apply to the new twist in caps from 2017+):

Julian, is there anything special that needs to be done to 2017+ Cleanout plugs maintenance wise?

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Julian, is there anything special that needs to be done to 2017+ Cleanout plugs maintenance wise?
I would say the primary thing you want to do is the same as the older ones....rinse them with fresh water after each use (use saltaway if in salt water) and leave them out to dry. Leaving them locked in for prolonged periods will only risk them getting stuck with mineral/salt deposits. Cleaning them periodically would be a good idea as well, especially the parts that engaged in the locking mechanism.

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I put a little spray silicone grease on them as needed. I also leave my boat in the lake all summer and between trips, I take them out and lay them across the top of the tubes. I figure is someone wants to steal the boat and hot wire it, they likely wouldn't know about the tubes and not having those plugs would greatly slow their fast getaway!