• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Pulled the Trigger on 1st Jet Boat

Sam1212

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Found a clean used 2017 212 Limited S and pulled the trigger planning on picking it up later this week! Pretty excited for it, coming off a 19ft I/O. The boat is seemingly all stock which is fine with me. Did have a couple questions regarding thrust vectors and a keel guards. I feel like Id like the thrust vectors but for this model they run almost 1k and the newer boats are around 700 guess that’s a small thing compared to the price of the boat. We spend a decent amount of time going to the beach on the river, I didn’t have a guard on my previous boat and never sustained damage so curious what people’s thoughts are on that?
Thanks!

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Well perhaps you should do your research, my steering works at all speeds or at slow speed only but you get to choose and it is adjustable and it has the second tie rod plus it has the option of the mega fang plus for improved real reverse and backing power and stopping power along with the mild power steering effect and no plastic parts .
You get better steering at all speeds and get rid of bow wander as well as speed bleed-off in turns, better control for water sport activities and the system does not go down near the bottom of the rudder so no need for kickstands in shallow water.
The super magnum ak deluxe steering is buy direct discount priced at $469.99 and the ak mega fang plus upgrade is $220 and those are twin engine price. all with free domestic shipping. And I specialize in steering upgrades with 22 years of experience.
And several model specific systems to choose from base to deluxe and more. plus super steering that automatically changes it's influence levels based on the position of the hull in the water so you get what you need when you need it.
So get the most features and benefits at buy direct discount prices. https://jetboaters.net/threads/cobra-jet-steering-buy-direct-discount-pricing-is-available-on-every-item-every-day-so-get-the-most-and-pay-the-least-its-just-that-simple.42332/

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Found a clean used 2017 212 Limited S and pulled the trigger planning on picking it up later this week! Pretty excited for it, coming off a 19ft I/O. The boat is seemingly all stock which is fine with me. Did have a couple questions regarding thrust vectors and a keel guards. I feel like Id like the thrust vectors but for this model they run almost 1k and the newer boats are around 700 guess that’s a small thing compared to the price of the boat. We spend a decent amount of time going to the beach on the river, I didn’t have a guard on my previous boat and never sustained damage so curious what people’s thoughts are on that?
Thanks!
Congrats on the boat and welcome!

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Welcome, good to hear you're happy with your purchase. From my own experience, while it's up to you whether or not you should add a keel guard, the only time you will regret NOT putting one on, is after the fact. Ask me how I know. If you're considering it, then I'd put one on, and never have to second-guess yourself.

As to the Thrust Vectors, the price you're talking about is NOT just the Thrust Vectors, it's the Thrust Vector system AND the Lateral Thruster setup for your boat. The price for the Thrust Vector system by itself is $520.

I would suggest you DON'T take your new-to-you boat out for its maiden voyage with anyone other than a helper, and dedicate time to testing out the steering and how everything works. Coming from an I/O, it will definitely be an adjustment, and you'll be better able to determine if you feel like you'll need any steering system, or if your past experience will help you quickly learn how to maneuver your boat. You'll also be kicking yourself if/when the Thrust Vectors go on sale later in the year, and you can manage your boat until they go on sale.

I've not had the lateral thrusters, but my boat is a 2019, when some improvements were made. I wish there were someone around me who had the lateral thrusters on their boat so that I could test the feel of them, but my boat wouldn't require the extra hardware that yours would, so for me, $230 isn't as big a hit, where you would be looking at $525. I can honestly say at YOUR price point, I'd be holding off on the lateral thrusters for a bit, until you get some more time behind the wheel. At my price point, this may be the year I add them to my boat.

Check out this thread from last year for an idea of the sale offer. This may or may not be offered again, but mebbe it helps your decision process: https://jetboaters.net/threads/jetboatpilot-thrust-vector-lateral-thruster-sale-event-2023.42231/

WiskyDan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@drewkaree I had them on my previous boat and added them to the new one as well - you’re welcome to a test drive whenever you want. I like the lateral thrusters a lot - makes the reverse steering inputs the same as a car.

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@drewkaree I had them on my previous boat and added them to the new one as well - you’re welcome to a test drive whenever you want. I like the lateral thrusters a lot - makes the reverse steering inputs the same as a car.
I may be taking you up on that at some point this year. I feel pretty comfortable & confident with the redesigned buckets of the 2019, and the articulating keel all combined to make it less of a necessity for me, but as you've seen on the river, depending on the spot, that extra assist from the lateral thrusters is intriguing.

As long as you don't upgrade boats before then 😜

I should have you run mine for a bit, I get the feeling the upgraded buckets from 2019 and up work out to be close to the equivalent of the older models with the lateral thrusters. If that's the case, the added thrusters to mine might be akin to the difference between manual and power steering

YoDaddy292

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Congrats on the new boat and welcome to the forum. Another guy here who put two seasons on thus far without them. Seriously looking at adding fins and also in the same situation as others who would like to try them on a like boat. Once you learn the jet boat around the docks and launch it is pretty easy......but there have been times.......

WiskyDan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I may be taking you up on that at some point this year. I feel pretty comfortable & confident with the redesigned buckets of the 2019, and the articulating keel all combined to make it less of a necessity for me, but as you've seen on the river, depending on the spot, that extra assist from the lateral thrusters is intriguing.

I should have you run mine for a bit, I get the feeling the upgraded buckets from 2019 and up work out to be close to the equivalent of the older models with the lateral thrusters. If that's the case, the added thrusters to mine might be akin to the difference between manual and power steering
I've gotten OK enough at the helm to not really need them on a light wind day but when it's whipping they sure are nice.

I don't PLAN on upgrading anytime soon but that hasn't stopped me before........ :)

I've heard that the newer Yamaha's have a factory version of the lateral thruster so if that's the case you're golden.

@Sam1212 I had Thrust Vectors on my first two Yamaha's and switched to Cobra Jet at the end of last season for my current boat. I only had it out a couple of times before it went into storage but I think the Cobra Jet option is a little better. I'll get a better feel for the differences once the season starts but I think they are both quality products.

Last edited:

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other

You may discover that Yamaha chose a lesser angle for the thrust so as not to make it difficult to back up or stop because the more of the real reverse thrust you divert to the side the less of a reverse power is available for backing and stopping as needed.
That was why I designed mega fang plus on the early nozzle designs because it captures and directs the available reverse power that otherwise just went where it wanted to and the mega fangs also went ahead of the pivot point of the nozzles to create a mild power steering effect in forward and reverse. And when Yamaha came out with the 19 foot rudder they also added a similar appendage to the front part of their rudder ahead of the pivot point for the same benefit.
1709667835571.png

Last edited:

JetBoatPenguin

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'd definitely suggest keel guards...that way you shouldn't end up with a "how did I do that moment?" Low cost for less worry. All hulls are constructed different as well...former Whaler and SeaRay perspective here.

I came from an I/O and after taking the boat out a few times went with the CobraJet steering. Happy with the results. Good advice above to take your new toy out with a friend..and not a fully loaded boat...to practice. I know I felt somewhat silly at first coming from an I/O, like driving a manual car for the first time given the differences in helm control. Once you get it down....super easy and fun.
Docking practice is key....I throttle on and off quite a bit when docking and loading.

Congrats on the purchase welcome to the Jetboat family. You'll find this forum and community very helpful.