• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Radial Tire Upgrade

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I picked up my goodyear endurance today. There is no way larger tires would fit my 04 ar230 trailer. The stock tires melted the inner liner from rubbing. Make sure to check the clearance!

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Let me correct on the trailer painting. The product I used was Herculiner. It is a roll-on application and the kit comes with a special roller. I wanted all cross members , the bow stop pillar and the tongue smooth, so they were finished with gloss Rust-Oleum after a rustoleum galvanized primer. I masked all of the mfg stickers. It has held up well for the miles I log; but I did recoat a few gloss areas once (rock chips on front cross member and wear on the tongue from the cables -now chains). It just took a few minutes with a roller and looked new again. Inside wheel wells are rubber underliner and no bolts were painted. I also did it all with the boat on the trailer with no issues; but was on my back for the cross members. I also checked my tire clearance (new same size Endurance installed), which is sufficient but leaves little room to go wider.
A4B1D728-FD6C-4E79-A34F-EA7F60E1015B.jpeg
DFB3D09A-34B9-4E3C-B642-2BB079EBE60B.jpeg
42D2F06B-FCCC-460D-BF55-705EEFDD8292.jpeg

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I put herculiner ono the inside of my last Jeep. It's tough stuff, but a little spiky for me

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Let me correct on the trailer painting. The product I used was Herculiner.
This stuff? https://www.amazon.com/Herculiner-HCL1B8-Brush-Bed-Liner/dp/B0002TDUW4

What did you do for prep? Directions say sanding or scuffing the entire surface? Is that just a matter of running the pad over everything to make sure you've got any road grime, etc off... or is it real scrubbing the entire surface to be coated? I read through the first several reviews on Amazon of the product. Most were pretty favorable with a few tips for application.

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Scuffing of an automotive grade clear coat paint finish in a truck bed would be needed; but not on my bare galvanized trailer. I just washed it well. I did not want to sand off any of the galvanized surface and used the primer first (perhaps an extra and unnecessary step). You could scuff the primer if feeling it necessary; but the stuff sticks fine and I would not suggest messing with the galvanized layer (protection).

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Scuffing of an automotive grade clear coat paint finish in a truck bed would be needed; but not on my bare galvanized trailer. I just washed it well. I did not want to sand off any of the galvanized surface and used the primer first (perhaps an extra and unnecessary step). You could scuff the primer if feeling it necessary; but the stuff sticks fine and I would not suggest messing with the galvanized layer (protection).
Great, that’s what I was thinking too. Thanks!

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Got mine put on yesterday and drove ~180 miles today to the dealer and back for the fender replacement. Pulled great and I'm almost certain my towing mpg is up a couple mpg. We'll see when I fill up for sure. Didn't feel like I had anything behind me at all. Always used to feel like I had another few thousand pounds or had a brake dragging. And that's behind an 3/4 ton diesel!

View attachment 71346
completely agree on the towing and mpg. That's why I reset the lieometer mpg on the truck.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
No good sales on the tires right now. Hopefully I can find a good sale by the end of May.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
If i can go 215 like you guys did, I am going to order from Sam’s club. Discount Tire seems to have the rebataes, but so does Sams. $80 off a set of four. The other discount at DT, is a rebate for using their credit card.

Since I can go 215 from our experience, I can order Marathons or Endurance. I have had great luck with Marathons and I think they are $15 per tire cheaper. Either is fine for the amount of trailering I do. (Minus this 1600 miles I just did from Hilton Head). These tires are shot, and we lost one. I should have replaced them before leaving SC. At least Dean did the bearing service. Hubs were cool the entire way.

Thanks for the tips guys.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Sams club baby!!

Goodyear Marathon. ST215/75r14c. $259.92 shipped to my local club plus tax
Goodyear Endurance ST205/75r14c. $351.96 shipped to my local club plus tax

Install will have to happen at the tire shop as they will not touch trailers. That’s no big deal as I will take them off two at a time and get them mounted and balanced. I’m gonna order the Marathons as I had great luck with them on my SeaDoo trailer. And we all loved them prior to the release of the Endurance.

Thanks guys, good luck!

Joe Hellaby

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I put on Goodyear endurance tires last week, towed to the lake this past Saturday. Wow, what a difference, especially on the highway, so much smoother

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
My 215 Marathons came in last week. With using the spare, I could take two at a time into Sam's club only using one jackstand on the trailer at a time. That seemed more safe. Sam's would not touch the trailer, but had no issues mounting and balancing for $15/rim.

We towed twice to the lake this weekend. Interstate driving around 70 was quite a bit better over the shot bias tires!! 215's fit where there were once 205's without issue. If you can still order the Goodyear Marathon, they are an excellent buy right now with the $80 off instantly.

Good luck all.

Joe Hellaby

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I put my trailer up on jack stands and brought both tires to the shop (I only have the two tires on my 19'er trailer)

I ordered the tires from Tirerack.com, they arrive in 3 days and where cheaper than I could find anywhere else. And I brought to a local mechanic's shop, he only charged $40 total to mount, balance, and install new valve stems. I was happy with how everything worked out, I originally was thinking I was going to order rims/tire combo's from online somewhere

LukePrinsloo

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I got discount tire to price match the carlisle HD trail Radials for the Goodyear Endurance as they had the endurance in stock. It did help with towing some.
I had just gotten the trailer, but now if I approach over 65 mph my truck starts to vibrate when towing. The entire cab is vibrating HARD.
Someone mentioned that the wheels need to be lug centric balanced not hub centric?

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I got discount tire to price match the carlisle HD trail Radials for the Goodyear Endurance as they had the endurance in stock. It did help with towing some.
I had just gotten the trailer, but now if I approach over 65 mph my truck starts to vibrate when towing. The entire cab is vibrating HARD.
Someone mentioned that the wheels need to be lug centric balanced not hub centric?
I have no idea, hope that you get answers from the members here.
(I am very interested in what's going on with your trailer! - as I tow a fair amount and like to know of all possible issues/symptomatically)

Any potential trailer brake issues?

--

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
steel wheels need to be lug-centric balanced, since the hub may not be exactly centered. Most automotive shops will hub-centric balance only (or at least, by default).

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
steel wheels need to be lug-centric balanced, since the hub may not be exactly centered. Most automotive shops will hub-centric balance only (or at least, by default).
Learn something new here all the time!!! Never knew that there was more than one type of "Balancing"....who would have thunk?

LukePrinsloo

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have no idea, hope that you get answers from the members here.
(I am very interested in what's going on with your trailer! - as I tow a fair amount and like to know of all possible issues/symptomatically)

Any potential trailer brake issues?

--
I towed the boat an hour away and the rear brakes were a reasonable temperature. (about 15 degrees above the front hubs.) So I no longer think the brakes are acting up.

Zonie

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I got my tires mounted on the new wheels but they aren't on the trailer yet as the boat is still in storage until sometime next week. However, I did get my Discount Tire $60 rebate in the mail. It was a VISA gift card which I've already used.