• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Removing and Regluing Seadeck

ntubbs93

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
I just got new 2021 195s delivered a couple weeks ago. I have noticed the seadeck on top of the locker has a bubble on it. I am assuming they just did not glue it down good. With the nearest dealer 2 hours away I dont really want to take it back for something like this. My question is: What would be the best way to remove seadeck and reglue without damaging anything if that is possible?

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
How big is the bubble? Do you have a picture you can post?

It sounds like just an air bubble. Take an exacto knife or something similar and cut a small slit in it, on a seam or a line and let the air escape, not too big. Then push it down or stand on it. I noticed the same thing when I installed SeaDek all over on my boat. There was a spot that, that happened to. I did this and it worked out perfectly. Also you could get some 3M liquid adhesive and put it in a syringe, etc., and after cutting the slit and letting the air escape squirting it in there. Much easier attempt than removing the entire piece.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I've used as small as a pin hole to remove a bubble in the past. It can happen quite some time after the initial install, so anyone should be prepared for the possibility.

For those of us with some peeled up corners, are you cleaning and use like 3m spray adhesive? Or something better? (sorry to hijack the thread)

ntubbs93

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
How big is the bubble? Do you have a picture you can post?

It sounds like just an air bubble. Take an exacto knife or something similar and cut a small slit in it, on a seam or a line and let the air escape, not too big. Then push it down or stand on it. I noticed the same thing when I installed SeaDek all over on my boat. There was a spot that, that happened to. I did this and it worked out perfectly. Also you could get some 3M liquid adhesive and put it in a syringe, etc., and after cutting the slit and letting the air escape squirting it in there. Much easier attempt than removing the entire piece.
I dont have a picture of it right now. I will try and get one and post soon. I would estimate about baseball sized maybe a little smaller.

Farny

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Centurion
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Sea deck is coming up off my swim deck - 2020 195s. Anyone know what recommended glue I should be using for this?

Crob83

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Unless the S series boats actually have sea dek, it is actually marine mat who is Yamahas supplier. Just fyi

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It is 3M Adhesive originally. I keep some around. That is what SeaDeck uses. I believe you may have Marine Mat, but not 100% sure.

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I got this from jetboatpilot — > Our SeaDek installers here use gorilla glue or super glue - just be careful to use a small amount so it does not spread out past the mat. When the sunlight hits any glue that may be showing it can turn yellow.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've used as small as a pin hole to remove a bubble in the past. It can happen quite some time after the initial install, so anyone should be prepared for the possibility.

For those of us with some peeled up corners, are you cleaning and use like 3m spray adhesive? Or something better? (sorry to hijack the thread)
I helped repair a member's seadek which was coming up on the edge. We lifted it a bit more so we got past what was peeling. Cleaned the small area with Acetone. Used 3M Primer (let dry), then 3M Adhesive. Worked out great.

Farny

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Centurion
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
It is 3M Adhesive originally. I keep some around. That is what SeaDeck uses. I believe you may have Marine Mat, but not 100% sure.
It is The stock mat that comes with the boat. Would marine mat and seadek use different glues?Which 3m adhesive? I would imagine not 3M 5200 as that’s a bit more permanent. Guessing we Should be able to remove it when we get to a point of replacing it.

Last edited:

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Farny

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Centurion
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

Farny

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Centurion
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I just got new 2021 195s delivered a couple weeks ago. I have noticed the seadeck on top of the locker has a bubble on it. I am assuming they just did not glue it down good. With the nearest dealer 2 hours away I dont really want to take it back for something like this. My question is: What would be the best way to remove seadeck and reglue without damaging anything if that is possible?
By the way mine had a bubble same spot- the glue was still soft enough I just used a rolling pin to kinda restretch it’s around that area worked fine for me

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@JetBoatPilot what do you recommend to a member who's seadek (or marine mat) is coming up?
From JBP:

Mark,
Our SeaDek installers here use gorilla glue or super glue - just be careful to use a small amount so it does not spread out past the mat. When the sunlight hits any glue that may be showing it can turn yellow.

--

Kim Nolen
Customer Service Representative
JetBoatPilot.com
850-867-1410
jbpkimn@gmail.com

Peter simon

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My Marine Mat is crumbling. But not bad enough to warrant replacing. Sit on it with a wet bathing and you are full or grey dust.

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My Marine Mat is crumbling. But not bad enough to warrant replacing. Sit on it with a wet bathing and you are full or grey dust.
Given your description of being full of grey dust, that would be enough to convince me that it's needed, but it's your boat, and all that matters is your opinion.

I look at many of the things that we do to our boats like I do with "good" booze. My father-in-law would shoot you dead if you made a Crown & Coke, whereas I take the view of "I paid for it, I'm going to enjoy it the way I want to, and you can have my chaser of ShutUp juice".

Enjoy the experience, it'll be over before you know it 🤜🤛 🤝

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I didn't see any primer at that link, and it seems like several of those might be an option, do you recall the number of the product you used? It looks like 78 might be an option, but I've used 74 & 77 for work-related things, and those seem like they'd be less optimal, although I haven't used them on SeaDek.

Farny

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Centurion
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Ok so I picked up some gorilla glue spray on. I covered the boat around the area with lid towels to prevent overspray. Very lightly sprayed the back of the mat, worked great this weekend. Will see how it holds up long term. Thanks all for the tips!

Farny

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Centurion
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Oh man - what year is your boat?