• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Sank my boat....

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tige
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Having been in your shoes, although with much less damage, I feel your pain. Very thankful everyone is ok, that is the most important part. Toys are replacebale. 40k seems off the charts for the fiberglass work, but with the motors and electronics underwater, you may be totalled. Hope the insurance gets you figured out quick.

I think the moral of the story for all of us is to stop and take a damage assessment immediately after hitting anything submerged. When in doubt, call it a day and get the boat out of the water asap to check it out.

Kuddos @morgro269 for having the sense to get everyone in lifejackets immediately when you discovered the severity of the situation.

Bilmon

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Mirage
Boat Length
Damn, thats unreal. Couple weeks ago I hit a sand bar so hard it very nearly stopped the boat dead and if not for the windshield I would have gone over the bow,still have the bruises to prove it,but it didn't hurt anything. Wonder what you could have hit to do that

Skysurfer2010

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
On the bright side at least this happened near the end of the boating season and not the beginning. You have all winter to be made whole through the insurance. Best of luck.

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
On the bright side at least this happened near the end of the boating season and not the beginning. You have all winter to be made whole through the insurance. Best of luck.
And right after those new pretty 2016s came out --- darn the luck!! ;)

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@morgro269

How thick is the fiberglass layup along the keel?

Glad everyone is ok. That is so hard to look at. :(

SCSTWG

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sorry to hear about this, but glad nobody was hurt. Hopefully they total the boat and you are able to get a new one with very little or nothing out of pocket.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
WOW!!! Glad that nobody got hurt. Thanks for posting, I'm sure everybody will learn from your experience.

bobbie

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
just curious is this is your first experience with boating?? i'm hoping that it does not deter you from getting out there again to enjoy the water. i agree with @007 ......toys are always replaceable...i never get hung up on any "thing" as long as everyone is safe.

msavold

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Holy CRAP! Agreed: Glad everyone's o.k.!
Also nice to know that with such undeniably major damage the boat stayed (mostly) afloat.
A couple of thoughts for you...
I'm wondering if it really was a sand bar or something with more of a sharp edge to it (rock? submerged piece of steel/beam?) to produce such a "can opener" effect and do it so "surgically". I would have expected much more of a bang from such damage! Of course, that's all academic at this point - but for all of us that boat in shallow water the curiosity is incredible!
Also, see what the gurus say here but IMO be wary if it's a repair and not a write off. [My wife hit a VW-sized boulder with our 2 year old Pilot. 3 airbags deployed, fender, hood, quarter panels, one door bent, engine pushed back about 6 inches, mounts wrecked, and frame bent. Adjuster said "about $7,000 in damages and 4 weeks". No matter how much I waived the bullshit flag they stuck with a repair - totaling $18,000 and four MONTHS to fix. Worst part was we had no confidence in it after that and traded it in, taking a hit on the value. Never again will I let them convince me!]
Good luck! We'll all be thinking of you so please keep us updated.

morgro269

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I've had little fishing boats my whole life, been on my friends boats forever. This is the first "real boat" I've owned. It will absolutely not deter me from boating. I've spent years over seas fighting and know what real problems are. This won't get me down too much. Sounds dumb, but, it's only money and that's what insurance is for. I have an agreed value policy of 63k. At this point, I think I want it to be totaled. I could be wrong, but I think the keel has got to be a major stress point of the hull, particularly in a corner. The damage is so bad, I'm not sure how it can be safely repaired. The surveyor talked about how to repair the bottom the engines have to come out, the "inner hull" has to be removed and then the entire center of the "outer hull" cut out and replaced. Anyway, I should an official word from the insurance company by Wednesday at the a latest. I'll keep this updated.

pagekl

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
That's one of the biggest hazards with river boating. I boat the CT River as well and I keep a constant scan on the water for submerged logs. Some are floaters that are easy to spot, while others lay just beneath the surface. Not sure how fast you were going, but it was fast enough to certainly do some damage. Not sure where you got your boat, but G&R in South Windsor should be able to fix it up for you. Good luck.

Ziess21

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Wow! Sorry to see this and glad everyone is ok!!!

Honestly, I've been wondering what would happen to the keel/rudder in this situation... So thank you for the pics.

Our shop would bid this at a number so high it would have to be totaled. Pulling the liner and flipping the boat over would be a massive undertaking and would cost a fortune. Structurally it can definitely be repaired but for your sake I hope a Motor is hydro locked because that will certainly total it out.

I too am very curious about what you hit. In my experience it looks like you hit a rock or some sort of static debris, definitely not wood though.

Keep us in the loop and best of luck!!!

octavio3311

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
It's UGLY!! The entire articulating keel and rudder was completely ripped off.
I can't help but wonder how a 2014 or older (without the keel) would've handled the hit!

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Looking at how far forward the rip starts, I think that whatever you hit it would have been bad with or without the keel. Maybe not as much water due to the rip off effect, but...

Also sick for you. Glad everyone is ok (as everyone else has said). Let us know how it turns out with the insurance!

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

TN888

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Dang that sucks! Sorry about you're boat.

bkcarson

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Wow, that's tough to look at. Glad that you and your passengers made a safe exit. Could have been much worse based on the damage.