• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Sank my boat....

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
There is a video posted on winterizing and they guys there pointed out that the bilge pump cycles every 2 minutes. Is that accurate? If so, that seems like a long time between cycles if you're in one of those situations where you're taking on water quickly. Personally, I'm not going to worry about it ... but depending on what your boating environment is like, you may want to consider something like @Leojay -- or one of the other recommendations you'll find on the forum.
That is correct that the bilge pump checks for water every 2 minutes. That does mean their is a delay between water reaching a pumpable level and the bilge pump starting to pump but I do not believe the delay is significant for any amount of water that the pump is capable of handling.

If you do need the pump to start faster just turn the switch off and back on. It checks for water as soon as it is powered on.

Leojay

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
There is a video posted on winterizing and they guys there pointed out that the bilge pump cycles every 2 minutes. Is that accurate? If so, that seems like a long time between cycles if you're in one of those situations where you're taking on water quickly. Personally, I'm not going to worry about it ... but depending on what your boating environment is like, you may want to consider something like @Leojay -- or one of the other recommendations you'll find on the forum.
Yeah that was my winterization video showing the functioning of the bilge pump. The every two minutes is just fine assuming everything is working as it should. But even when it is working fine, many folks don't know that their bilge is pumping away trying to keep them afloat. The high water alarm as posted in my video here is required in boats 28 feet and bigger, are our boats and our safety less important?

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yeah that was my winterization video showing the functioning of the bilge pump. The every two minutes is just fine assuming everything is working as it should. But even when it is working fine, many folks don't know that their bilge is pumping away trying to keep them afloat. The high water alarm as posted in my video here is required in boats 28 feet and bigger, are our boats and our safety less important?
@Leojay do you have a link to where you bought the alarm? Or at least which make &a model. Also, do you know if the audible alarm can be silenced when activated? Thanks in advance. ;)

Leojay

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hey Dennis, here is the link to the product. Read up about it. It uses field effect technology and is now being incorporated in the new Rule bilge pumps. This same product sells for 3 times the price at marine stores under different names. Its flawless and gives cheap piece of mind. As far as silencing the alarm. It will stop after a few seconds out of water. I installed an inline fuse thats easily accessible near the sensor. If the siren is making me nuts I will pull that fuse. If you want to get fancy you can install a switch but with that comes the risk of the switch being inadvertently left off when needed most.
http://levelguardproducts.com/marine-rv/marine-high-water-bilge-alarm.php

Scuba_ref

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just ordered one. Twice I've left the drain plug out (once on my old boat and once on my Yamaha), usually happens when I change my launch routine for one reason or another. A sensor like this would have alerted me much sooner.

Leojay

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You won't be sorry, great product. When I first got it I attached the wires to my car battery and dunked the sensor into a dixie cup to hear the alarm..lol

ncnmra

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Where should this sensor be installed? One thing that I don't understand with my 212X is that the bilge in installed in the bottom of the engine compartment, but the back compartment (where the drain plug and scupper comes through) seems like it is much lower. Is this just an optical illusion? I would want to be alerted (and frankly for the pump to start working) as SOON as the water enters the hull, not by the time it gets up to the engine compartment.

Is there a cut-away side view showing the various compartments and how they interact?

Leojay

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Well in answer to your first question. I zip tied the sensor to the side of the bilge pump with the point of the sensor downward. I did experience a false alarm once, when coming off of plane some water must have rushed passed it. I was able to just move the sensor up a bit on the side of the bilge pump to limit these false alarms. So my point is that having some water in the very bottom of the bilge is normal but placing the sensor there may be more trouble than its worth. However or wherever you mount it I'm sure you won't be one of the those people who are surprised by opening the engine cover and seeing water up to the top of the engine.

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The pump is lower than you think. The pump mounts to another section I believe. This makes the pump easy to change. If it were in the very lowest section back by the plug it would pick up a bunch of crap and could possibly get blocked.

ncnmra

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Ok, maybe I'm mis-judging, but it looks to me like the back section is pretty big, and could fill up with a large amount of water well before it gets to the bilge area. You can see it when you take the hatch off the cleanout port area; although I think it is different from model-to-model.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@ncnmra through '09 they are very similar, Have you looked at replacing your scupper yet ?

Check out the FAQ for scupper replacement and adding a second bilge pump, Bruce added his near the scupper hole and I think it would give you a much greater peace of mind.

ncnmra

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I did the scupper replacement this spring, and am thankful I did, as there was a big crack in the plastic one. The replacement was exactly what opened my eyes into realizing the back compartment appears much lower than the engine compartment, and that there is a lot of area there. I assume the plug enters that compartment too, so if you were missing a plug, that would be the first to get wet.

Again, I'd love to see a cross sectional diagram of these boats.... ie: where does the scupper hose actually connect to, and how to all the various compartments drain into each other. It may help answer how water is present out of the plug from time to time.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@morgro269 just wondering what the final outcome on this was,

morgro269

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Boat is still being repaired. Should be done anytime now. I had the repair place add the complete Seadek kit and 2 Wetsounds xs808's. One next to the captain seat and one next to the passenger seat. Total insurance payout was a little north of $45,000. I received my cancellation notice from boaters choice a couple of weeks ago. Finding a place to cover me was difficult but I've settled on National Marine Underwriters. They gave me the exact same coverage as Boaters Choice for 200 bucks more per year.

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Did you try boatus for insurance ? They have always given me the best price.

morgro269

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I did. They were the first ones to tell me no because I had a claim last year...

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yikes, well that just sucks. Hope I don't need to make a claim. With that high of a claim I'm surprised they just didn't total the boat.

morgro269

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I had an "Agreed Value" policy. That means that if the total doesn't exceed $63k, then they wouldn't total it....

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
One thing that I don't understand with my 212X is that the bilge in installed in the bottom of the engine compartment, but the back compartment (where the drain plug and scupper comes through) seems like it is much lower. Is this just an optical illusion?
Yes it is an optical illusion, you can only get 2 gallons of water in there before it is at the bilge pump.

Two things I put in my boat shortly after I got her....a bilge alarm, and a fume detector. Both relatively cheap safety devices in my mind....and links in my signature on them both.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Kind of crazy that we pay for insurance for things like this but HEAVEN FORBID that we ever have to use it...... CANCELED!! Total BS.