• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

sea rayder f-14 90 hp no way to put appart motor from jet

bernard

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaRay
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
hello,
can anyone help?
I have to pull up power head from jet pump assembly. i removed the 8 bolts holding the motor to the bottom plate. then i could lift up the motor about 3 mm but not more than that. seems the axis to crankshaft is stucked...
did anyone experienced this?
Thanks a lot

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I also am not familiar with your boat. But on the jets that I am familiar with you need to remove the pump and impeller shaft before removing the engine.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Need pictures to confirm what we are all thinking but have also heard those 90hp are trouble. Also heard of someone doing a 4.3 Chevy swap!

bernard

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaRay
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
hello,
thank you for your kind reply.
i tried to find solutions on a sea rayder forum..seems oxydation of drive shaft spline
is a recurent problem but solution proposals are very different:
using wood wedges..starting the motor with 8 fixing bolds untightened so vibrations
will do the job (i am not sure this solution will not destroy something)..
a macanic in tahiti told me not to pull up too hardly as it may destroy pinions or
gasket or ring but to undo the wheel on top of motor and hit with a hammer the shaft so
vibritions will be transmitted to the spline at the other end of shaft...
did anyone one allready experienced this problem?
i did attached pictures of spline and jet pump....
i can't really pull out the pump and axis as the grid is corroded ...
thks for yr help

Attachments

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I'd it is oxidation, there are a lot of different products to try and free the parts up.
How are your motor mounts? Are they removes or unboltes so it is possible for the motor to come straight backwards?
I would try wedges and then a rubber mallet on every side possible.
You can also try a 2x4 and wedging it in there and try using the leverage to ease it out.

Got any pictures of the motor in the boat?

bernard

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaRay
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
hello,

Finally i could got it apart! (HCL acid to undo the corroded bolds, patience, pulling and shaking the motor)
i didn't know this motor has been discontinued when i bought this boat...
i have to check if it it is worth swaping the motor or get rid of the boat and buy another one...
thks again for yr help.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Those were actually Force outboard engines mounted on a pump, that info may be helpful in locating parts for the engine as there were a lot of force 90 and 120 engines out there once upon a time.
The big problem with those engines was serious electrical issues with the rectifier going bad and when it did it immediately burned out the brain as soon as the engine was turned off.
I came up with a couple remedies for that issue , the huge problem and one that led me to invent steering for jet boats back in 2001, was the lack of steering control.
Interesting how purchasing one of those boats set me on the path of designing jet boat steering.
Depending on what the issue is with the engine and the end cost to repair it I think you may get in over it's value quite quickly. Also the pump parts are pretty scarce for those as well.