• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Shears for trimming dogs

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
So with my significantly reduced pay and many places still closed for a while I am considering trimming our 2 Labradoodles as they are starting to get small mats.

Anyone do this themselves and have advice on what to buy, or IF I should attempt this?

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I had to do the same thing. That's my Mini Goldendoodle in the pic. We purchased this and it's fantastic. I highly recommend it. It comes with a number of attachments and it's cordless. After I got the hang of it, I started doing some cutting without the attachments. My dog looks terrible right now (Ha!) but at least he's cool.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I had to do the same thing. That's my Mini Goldendoodle in the pic. We purchased this and it's fantastic. I highly recommend it. It comes with a number of attachments and it's cordless. After I got the hang of it, I started doing some cutting without the attachments. My dog looks terrible right now (Ha!) but at least he's cool.

Lots of kits like that on Amazon for around $55.

Wahl start over $100 for corded models.

\\\Wolverine///

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Mine and the dogs kits from Wahl were less than $50 with guards 1-8, scissors, cleaning brush, oil, comb, bag, etc.

granpachuck

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
So with my significantly reduced pay and many places still closed for a while I am considering trimming our 2 Labradoodles as they are starting to get small mats.

Anyone do this themselves and have advice on what to buy, or IF I should attempt this?
This should be no help at all, but my kids like to send me funny vids on great danes. One of my dogs is a 175 male Dane, and it takes 4 people and a muzzle to clip anything on him.
So grab some peanut butter, and saran wrap, and get busy.

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
We have a golden doodle that I trim at home. I give her a good “shearing” about 3-4 times per year, and don’t recommend skimping on the trimmers.

Andis 23160 VueMaster Ceramic Professional Clipper Pet Grooming Clippers : Amazon.com: Andis UltraEdge AGC Super 2Speed Pet Clipper Blue

I also recommend using a ceramic blade like this

Andis 63040 CeramicEdge Carbon-Infused Steel Clipper Blade, Size 3-1/2, 3/8-Inch Cut Length Amazon.com: Andis 63040 CeramicEdge Carbon-Infused Steel Clipper Blade, Size 3-1/2, 3/8-Inch Cut Length: Beauty

It takes me about an hour to give this one a haircut, that’s with her being VERY cooperative with me. She actually seems to enjoy it somewhat. She’s a standard, about 70 lbs. Its like shearing a lamb.

594B9CFF-1CC5-43E0-8872-707437A4F002.jpeg

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Last edited:

ctyke

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
After my wife spent $125 getting our sheepadoodle cut, I thought i could do that and save money. I researched a lot, watched a lot of youtube videos on how to do it.
First off, buy dog clippers, don't use human ones. The dog ones run cooler and are made to run for longer periods.
Secondly, the first time will take you awhile, hopefully your dogs are used to it.
Thirdly, Find somewhere that you can trim your dog and have it leased from above, look at videos on professional setups.

So, I spent $150 on a cordless (but can be run corded if the battery runs out). on this. The way I looked at it, I could cut the dog twice and throw it away and I'd still have saved money.

I've been doing it a year now, still takes me awhile. My daughter did the cut this spring (which is the worst because we let the hair grow out) and did a much better job than me.

Save a couple of 100 already, way worth my time. But it's good the dog doesn't care about how it looks....

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Cut the first doodle....was easy enough.
Funny, can't tell by looking at a pile of hair on the floor...lets see the dog! ;)

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Cut the first doodle....was easy enough.
Jeez I’m jealous. When I shear Daisy Mae Doodle I end up with a 13 gal kitchen bag full of hair. I should start looming it into yarn.

Sower1

Reaction score
Boat Make
Triton
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
My aunt has very good dog clippers. She loves her dogs very much, so she often cuts their hair. She used to have ordinary scissors, and it was much more difficult to cut the dogs' hair. Because the scissors were not very good, they were always blunt. So recently I wanted to buy some scissors for her, and I saw some good secateurs for animals. So I bought her scissors as a gift. She is very happy now and says she enjoys clipping her dogs because they cut very well and do not blunt, they are very comfortable to hold and easy to use. My aunt was very happy and pleased, and I am pleased to have pleased my aunt.

Last edited: