• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Simple Audio Upgrade

Slfmde

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've never installed/upgraded an audio system. Just want to start very simple and build it in stages. Will the items below be OK for mounting the amp in the battery storage on a 2017 AR240?

Speakers: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000P0PF9G/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A1AUFI5NHGNZ61&psc=1
Amp: https://www.amazon.com/Kenwood-KAC-M3004-Compact-Channel-Amplifier/dp/B00UVWC55A/ref=sr_1_6?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1504391115&sr=1-6&keywords=kenwood+amp
Wiring: https://www.amazon.com/KnuKonceptz-KCA-Complete-Gauge-Installation/dp/B0050I6KII/ref=lp_3308787011_1_1?srs=3308787011&ie=UTF8&qid=1504390843&sr=8-1

Once I got this figured out I was going to add another kenwood M3001 powering a single sub.

David Analog

Jetboaters Commander
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
NA
Stay clear of any CCA wire and cable. The low price is tempting. But the performance is poor. Many here have experience with CCA and it's not good.

Slfmde

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Stay clear of any CCA wire and cable. The low price is tempting. But the performance is poor. Many here have experience with CCA and it's not good.
Thanks for the reply. Can you or anyone recommend a kit that has everything I would need?

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

CraigAR

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've never installed/upgraded an audio system. Just want to start very simple and build it in stages. Will the items below be OK for mounting the amp in the battery storage on a 2017 AR240? I added an amp just recently on my 17' ar240. Here is a link and the detailed post with pictures starts on page 2. https://jetboaters.net/threads/replacing-speakers-adding-an-amp.14046/page-2.
Ive just recently added more stereo equipment20170827_170442.jpg
If you have any questions let me know

Speakers: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000P0PF9G/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A1AUFI5NHGNZ61&psc=1
Amp: https://www.amazon.com/Kenwood-KAC-M3004-Compact-Channel-Amplifier/dp/B00UVWC55A/ref=sr_1_6?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1504391115&sr=1-6&keywords=kenwood+amp
Wiring: https://www.amazon.com/KnuKonceptz-KCA-Complete-Gauge-Installation/dp/B0050I6KII/ref=lp_3308787011_1_1?srs=3308787011&ie=UTF8&qid=1504390843&sr=8-1

Once I got this figured out I was going to add another kenwood M3001 powering a single sub.

Slfmde

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Installed the speakers just to test them out before putting in an amp. I know everyone says you don't notice a difference unless you install an amp but I had a huge increase in volume. I would say at least 3x as loud and much better sound quality.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Installed the speakers just to test them out before putting in an amp. I know everyone says you don't notice a difference unless you install an amp but I had a huge increase in volume. I would say at least 3x as loud and much better sound quality.
I'm not one of those who says you must put in an Amp to improve the sound....simply dumping the stock "seaworthy" speakers and moving up to Polks makes a HUGE difference! Those seaworthy speakers...are seaworthy....as in the bottom of the ocean is the best place for them! :winkingthumbsup":rolleyes::thumbsup:

SALEEN308

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was thinking of doing this too. I was going to use a 5 channel amp to run a sub though. Where is the best place to mount the amp?

bigblank69

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Some say the best place to mount the amp is in the Helm. I went with the battery compartment... because my fat ass can't get in the helm to wire everything :).

SALEEN308

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Does the amp get hot and cut out?

bigblank69

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Mine? Absolutely not, even pounding all day my amps are cool to touch and have never cut out.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Mine? Absolutely not, even pounding all day my amps are cool to touch and have never cut out.
Huh...my amps are always warm....even when I work on them and the seat is open the entire time...the amps are warm to the touch. Which amps do you have?

bigblank69

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Huh...my amps are always warm....even when I work on them and the seat is open the entire time...the amps are warm to the touch. Which amps do you have?
When I had a Polk PAD4000.4 and JBL GTX500 in my boat it was almost always cool to touch, maybe at times the same temperature as ambient or slightly warm, but never touched the amp amp felt it was to hot to touch. I have a Wet Sounds Syn-Dx4 and Wet Sounds HTX-1 in their now and same deal...

Last edited:

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would never mount an amp by the batteries. Behind helm is the best spot for the 24'. Run power and ground wires to a distribution blocks and you are good to go.

bigblank69

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Car audio systems are installed by the batteries all the time with no issue. You can put them back there with no issue. Had mine there for 2 years and have no problems at all.

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Car audio systems are installed by the batteries all the time with no issue. You can put them back there with no issue. Had mine there for 2 years and have no problems at all.
A Car is different than a boat. Too much heat coming from that compartment. Plus if you have an onboard charger in there, over time the fumes from the batteries will damage the amps. If you want your amps to last I WOULD not put them by the batteries. But in the end, it's ultimately your choice. Good luck.

bigblank69

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
What heat? I haven't felt anymore heat coming from that compartment compared to any others. It's not the engine bay. And Car audio systems are often in the trunk, or back of a SUV which has plenty of heat. Please show one example of a amplifier being ruined in that battery compartment of a boat....

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Heat and corrosive-ness of the charging process in that small compartment. In a car there is more air flow under the hood and less problems to worry about. You do realize batteries put out toxic and corrosive fumes in charging states right? To be honest, I'm not going to argue with you on what is best or not. Each is it's own. I'm just offering advise to other users who might want to take precautionary steps to make their investments last longer. Sounds like you know it all so again good luck.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
My amp as in the battery compartment for 9 years on my last boat...ran great. Marine units are sealed for water....I assume this would also handle air/fumes? @FloJet I don't think @bigblank69 is trying to be argumentative, just trying to understand the reasoning behind your passion.

To me it was a simple financial decision on my last boat....run expensive thick wires to the helm, or an (relatively) inexpensive shielded RCA to the battery....RCA was a no brainer for me. You trunk mount amps in cars all the time, and they have a lot more electrical stuff that would interfere with RCAs....so I think the cable manufacturers have handled any inteference concerns.

Your heat concern is a valid one....but not sure my battery compartment is any cooler than my helm is.

Fumes....that is a new one I'd not heard before....

bigblank69

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Also, you do know most high power car audio systems have secondary batteries and in some cases well more than that installed in the trunk/cabin of the vehicle with the amplifiers directly next to them, NOT under hood. Which would be THE exact same environment as in the battery compartment of our boats. None of these systems show of the issues your having.

I simply feel unless you can provide evidence of battery gas from a properly operating battery ruining a amplifier, I think you are overblowing the issue.