• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

So, I broke a steering cable...

zelone

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I don't know how long its been broken for. I just bought this boat, less than a month ago, barely used it, but noticed the steering was kinda squirrely. I was installing an AirDock yesterday and had the boat up out of the water and was looking under the stern when I noticed the Starboard cable snapped off right where it attaches to the nozzle. I guess I'll be replacing that this week. I'm wondering how bad of a job it is and if anyone has any tips of shortcuts? Thanks in advance...

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Jebinok

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
i would replace them both.

Zarrella

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
@zelone
I replaced mine a few months ago. It was not a big deal. The FAQ post was a BIG help. I would recommend replacing both cables since you will have the binnacle apart anyway.

jAMESZ28

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I had 2 break on my 2011 242 ls the 1st year we owned it,

jAMESZ28

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
We bought our 242 LS new in 2011 and had a steering cable brake on the right side twice, the 1st time we were on the lake when it happened and couldn't throttle up that side pass 3k rpms, took it in and had it replaced under warranty and then got it back and the new steering cable broke has soon as I got out of the no wake zone and throttled up. Never did get any kind of reason or answer for why it happened, since then knock on wood I haven't had any more problems.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I believe some of the cables had defective crimps where the ends were attached to the inner cable.

zelone

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks for the links and info. Not sure how I managed to break a steering cable, but it is broken right where it should attach to the nozzle. @Zarrella I'm thinking I wouldn't have to take apart the binnacle, unless replacing throttle or shifter cables?
Does the steering cable run under the floor or down the gunwale? I didn't see a ton of info specific to steering cables in the links provided, but I was looking on my phone. I'll go back and read more soon. Also, not finding great prices on the cables. Seem to be around $125 and up. Does that seem correct? The part number I found on the Yamaha Sports Plaza website is F0R-U1470-00-00

Unreal Yammi

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am going to troubleshoot my steering cables this week. If anyone has logged the part numbers directly off the cables that would be good info for others to lookup the part on Ebay, etc. A prior post suggests two different cable lengths and that would mean two different part numbers.

Additionally I wonder if anyone who has bought from Ebay has a reccomendation what vendor to use, there is such a range of prices and one wonders if those cables are substandard to the OEM Yamaha dealer part?

I could not find a good step by step tutorial and if possible I may try to do that for the 2005 SX230 I have to troubleshoot. I do not know at this point if my cables are faulty or my steering box is at fault. When turning the wheel from the left stop to the right I get a slight catch. At seatrial about a month ago the previous owner found the wheel feeling stuck/stiff a bit when we went out.

My intent is to take one nut off under the helm testing one cable then replace the nut, take the other nut off and test the other cable, then remove both nuts and test the steering box.
**edit** In the lower left side of the pic are the two nuts and lock washers I am refering to. **edit**
20150608_095414.jpg

Last edited:

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Unreal Yammi the cable replacement has been done by several guys over the years. I haven't had to do mine as of yet, but I do recall reading several posts from guys like @Julian on the subject. Also, if memory serves me correctly, they found the original manufacturer and ordered their part number instead of going to a Yamaha dealer. Way cheaper for the exact same cables. Good luck with the repair, I'm sure somebody who's done the repair will chime in shortly.

Unreal Yammi

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ty @itsdgm. The tutorial used @Julian's post above is the only one I have found. I did just look up Yamaha part numbers for the 2005 SX230HO and it appears they are used on many Yamahas.

F1C-U1470-10-00 Port side is $128.79 at YSPlaza
F0R-U1470-10-00 Starboard side is $123.19 at YSPlaza
F2D-U151A-00-00 Steering Box is $183.00 at YSPlaza

Prices as of June 7, 2015. It appeared shipping was free but I am unsure since I did not order yet. I will as soon as I confirm the problem and cross reference the Teleflex numbers.

I wonder if the parts can be ordered by using the Teleflex cable numbers as @Julian did for the reverse gate cables. Once I look at mine I will try that. It was much cheaper for the reverse gate cables to source them that way.

Unreal Yammi

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
20150608_095109.jpg I found the Teleflex number by Googling. The prices are quite similar and once I order I will just use Yamaha Sports Plaza because their prices are great and I know I will get OEM parts for this particular application.

Teleflex part numbers:
SSC21919 **edit** Port (Left side of boat facing forward)
SSC21918 **edit** Starboard (Right side of boat facing forward)20150608_095414.jpg 20150608_095139.jpg

**edit** Note in the pic showing the aluminum steering box the embossed wording.."Use no substitute cableing hardware". **

In addition I found on this site a post saying the last two numbers for Teleflex refer to the cable length denoting as questioned that there are two different cable lengths. I hope the info helps someone in the future and save a little research time.

Last edited:

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I guarantee that Yamaha uses Teleflex cables. So if you buy Teleflex you are getting OEM without the Yamaha price markup. But a quick google seems I'm not finding them on iboats (where I bought my reverse gate cables)...but in a rush this morning....

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
along the same lines... under the helm where the two steering cables are attached to the bracket.. is the brackett suppose to rotate back and forth when you steer? There is a lot of play in the steering wheel and it is almost all that bracket swinging back and forth.. Sorry.. i dont have a pic of it..

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Unreal Yammi

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I ordered the two cables today from YSPlaza and 6 nuts that attach them, the 6 lock washers must be sourced locally. All together $288 including shipping to Ky. It will be about 12 days before they get here. The ebay vendors and other web vendors did not discount enough on this item to justify foregoing YSPlaza.

When I install them I will try to remember to take pics and update this post with info.Many thanks for this site and it's help!

SoFla David

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I just ordered (and received) both steering cables for my 2005 Sx230HO from www.marinepartssource.com for $227 total including shipping. I ordered them based on the Teleflex part numbers. I did the same thing for one of my shifter cables a couple of years ago and it was an exact match. I'm re-using the existing nuts, washers and hardware since there is nothing wrong with the current ones. I've got everything pulled apart, I'm just trying to get the old cables out of the hole through the transom. It looks like whoever installed them used tons of heavy duty silicon on the inside. Hopefully I can work them loose. I'm considering cutting the old cables inside the swim platform so I can get some leverage on the remaining piece and work them loose. I got the big nut and washer off from the outside, and tried pulling the cables through to the inside, but they will not budge. I fought with them for a couple of hours this weekend, but ran out of time, patience, and curse words.