• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

SS scupper Valve Yamaha 195s

traderfjp

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Quick question. On a replacement scupper Valve with flap does the little screw on flap go towards top or bottom. Thanks

Billtex2000

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Screw at the top.

Farny

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Centurion
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Forgive my ignorance- but what is the reason for replacing the stock one? I have 2020 195s

traderfjp

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Forgive my ignorance- but what is the reason for replacing the stock one? I have 2020 195s
There have been reports of the plastic scupper cracking and letting water into the boat. Sometimes they freeze and crack or just the vibration of the hose will crack the fitting. It's probably fine but it was a cheap and easy upgrade so why not.

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm going to guess the plastic scuppers aren't UV stabilized, either. No idea what it's related to, other than they're plastic, and subject to the sun. Simple time and sun damage combine to turn some of them (all of them?) into brittle items that have the possibility to crack/break. The cost difference, in the grand scheme of things to you or I, is going to be ~$40, but multiply that by the number of boats sold, and you can see why a boat manufacturer might use plastic over metal. On the plus side, Yamaha is only overcharging us for the plastic piece, I'm betting if all the fittings were metal, the boat would cost another thousand dollars, and they'd then tout the metal as a selling point, while you'd nod your head thinking they put the quality in the boat, and never think twice about how much they're overcharging you for the more durable materials.

It's just the cost of doing business when owning a boat. I'm sure you'll be fine for at least a year. Mine has survived 2 years so far, and I'm only replacing it because I had my boat stored outside last year (and I like the idea of not having plastic on a piece that might break at a most inopportune time). 🤷‍♂️

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
There have been reports of the plastic scupper cracking and letting water into the boat. Sometimes they freeze and crack or just the vibration of the hose will crack the fitting. It's probably fine but it was a cheap and easy upgrade so why not.
The issue was mainly with the scupper that was below the water line on the older models. Since 2014 or so Yamaha moved the scupper above the water line. IMO there’s no real need to change it on the relatively never Yamaha’s where scupper has been relocated.

Farny

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Centurion
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
So it looks like plastic cap may be broken on mine? Can you let me know if this looks correct? Small plastic piece connected to a screw...rubber behind

Attachments

Crob83

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
So it looks like plastic cap may be broken on mine? Can you let me know if this looks correct? Small plastic piece connected to a screw...rubber behind
Looks normal to me

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
On the 275 series the waterline is about dead center on the scupper. That rear platform is so low to the wayer they cant move it up any higher. I wish they would have used stainless because there is no accessing the scupper to replace or service it.

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
The older 230/232 series had plastic scuppers down under the water line and were prone to cracking after a few seasons. I changed mine out when the boat was in it's third season (6 years old) and was a bit of a bear to do but was well worth it. If yours is above the water line, then it'd only allow water to seep in if cracked and when submerged.

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
IMO there’s no real need to change it on the relatively never Yamaha’s where scupper has been relocated.
There was at least one, and I think it was two, of the newer models that this happened to, and was posted about on here. I seem to remember @Julian posing a question to a person this happened to, as his boat was either the same year or a year newer than the model year of the person who had this issue. Maybe he can recall chiming in on that thread and he can recall the year of the boat.

Not sure if it was tied to a particular model either, as my 210 has that fitting on the side wall of that area, instead of facing straight back. @HangOutdoors shows the position of the 210's in his post where he swapped it out for stainless. To boot, he said the backside clamp/nut was loose, and I'm betting it was letting in water, and would have broken simply due to vibration

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
There was at least one, and I think it was two, of the newer models that this happened to, and was posted about on here. I seem to remember @Julian posing a question to a person this happened to, as his boat was either the same year or a year newer than the model year of the person who had this issue. Maybe he can recall chiming in on that thread and he can recall the year of the boat.

Not sure if it was tied to a particular model either, as my 210 has that fitting on the side wall of that area, instead of facing straight back. @HangOutdoors shows the position of the 210's in his post where he swapped it out for stainless. To boot, he said the backside clamp/nut was loose, and I'm betting it was letting in water, and would have broken simply due to vibration
Correct, there were 2 documented failures of these plastic scuppers on models with relocated values.....still took on massive water.

So I've replaced mine. Its only a matter of time before that plastic cracks. That drain hose hangs on that scupper and flexes constantly when the boat is moving..... fatigue cracks it eventually.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It is a great, simple, cheap preventative measure for something that may or may not happen. If it does crack it could be a very costly situation and could lead to a dangerous situation. This is how i thought about it and why i replaced mine. I kind of go the extra mile on things such as this.

I am also checking all hoses now every where and clamps

kgower

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SE
Boat Length
Where are you buying the new metal scupper valves?

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Amazon. I linked it in another thread. I am at th ER getting stitches, and can link it again when i get home, the cell sevice here is not great

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Correct, there were 2 documented failures of these plastic scuppers on models with relocated values.....still took on massive water.

So I've replaced mine. Its only a matter of time before that plastic cracks. That drain hose hangs on that scupper and flexes constantly when the boat is moving..... fatigue cracks it eventually.
Yes they’ll still crack because of them being plastic. I guess I was trying to determine how it would be as important if they’re above the waterline. How did the other boats take on massive amounts of water? Wouldn’t it be sort of like having the anchor locker drain gap issue except in the back of the boat? Not saying people shouldn’t replace it for something better. I’m just saying I didn’t think it’s as serious of an issue on the newer boats as it was for the older boats where it was practically a must have fix/upgrade or your boat could actually take in more water than the bilge pump could keep up with. Either way SS is better than plastic. Gotta love how Yamaha continues to ignore these decades long, well known sore spots and shortcomings in their design.

Last edited:

kgower

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SE
Boat Length

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Yes they’ll still crack because of them being plastic. I guess I was trying to determine how it would be as important if they’re above the waterline. How did the other boats take on massive amounts of water? Wouldn’t it be sort of like having the anchor locker drain gap issue except in the back of the boat? Not saying people shouldn’t replace it for something better. I’m just saying I didn’t think it’s as serious of an issue on the newer boats as it was for the older boats where it was practically a must have fix/upgrade or your boat could actually take in more water than the bilge pump could keep up with. Either way SS is better than plastic. Gotta love how Yamaha continues to ignore these decades long, well known sore spots and shortcomings in their design.
Because a 1.5 inch hole at the water line will still take on a lot of water.....and as it takes on more it goes further below the water line .... increasing the flow.