• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Star Wars Canyon, Death Valley, USA

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Jim Robeson

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Is that the same canyon that was used in make Independence Day with Wil Smith?

@jawsf16 ... do you have a back seat in that jet?

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
@jawsf16 I took my dad up to the R&D hanger at WPAFB last weekend and grabbed a couple picture of the first fly by wire F-16. For some odd reason I thought... I bet jaws16 would like this. So I snapped a couple picks. Thanks for you service. I work every day in support of our airmen.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Topper232

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Awesome. The ultimate white-knuckle amusement park ride!

When I lived in Chesapeake, Va. I was about 2 miles away from Fentress Field, where the Navy would practice it's land-based carrier landings etc, before they headed out to the ship. It was so cool to have them fly right over the house so low that you could wave to the pilots.

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Someone must have photos of you doing it???? That would be awesome to have! Great shots!!!
They certainly do! I just wish I knew who it was so I could get my hands on them. I would love to have some shots of my F-16 or T-38 while running BELOW the crowd line. I would pay big bucks for those if I could...

Is that the same canyon that was used in make Independence Day with Wil Smith?

@jawsf16 ... do you have a back seat in that jet?
That I do not know, but it would not surprise me. I used to take incentive riders there when I was flying the F-16, most of the time they were either too busy hooting and hollering, trying to hold down their breakfast, or storing their breakfast elsewhere to truly understand it. it was always a lot of fun though. I have had the opportunity to take about a half dozen student pilots out there in the 38 to fly it - they always come back with big dopey grins on their face, wondering why we even get paid for this job on days like that.

@jawsf16 I took my dad up to the R&D hanger at WPAFB last weekend and grabbed a couple picture of the first fly by wire F-16. For some odd reason I thought... I bet jaws16 would like this. So I snapped a couple picks. Thanks for you service. I work every day in support of our airmen.
Those pics are awesome!! I liked the plaque too, very interesting stuff. I knew the AF had toyed around with making the "Electric Jet" truly ALL electric, but I don't realize they actually did it. Pretty neat for sure. I love the WP museum but I equate it to a role reversal of shopping with my wife. She can stand it for almost an hour and then is ready to go, while I am just getting warmed up and want to try on everything in the store!!

Forgive me that I do not remember your occupation, but I must say Thank YOU for taking care of our guys! We wouldn't get very far without our personal and professional support structures. I appreciate you!

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I just wish I knew who it was so I could get my hands on them.
Have you tried contacting the photographer that is referenced at that page? Bet if he wasn't there he has the names of other photographers who might have been. I wouldn't be surprised if they'd relish the opportunity to send shots to the airmen flying the planes they photographed! They likely have thousands of shots and only publish the best of the best.

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
@jawsf16 your role reversal scenario is spot on! My dad had not been to the Measum in 25 years since he took us as kids. All he wanted for his birthday this year was to go again with out us kids storming all over the place so he could stop and read EVERYTHING! Needless to say we spent 8 hours between the Measum and the Presidential/R&D hanger (which is on base). We had a great day!
I'm in acquisitions for multiple AF programs and platforms. I have a few friends that work in the F-16 program office.

BlacklimitedS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
That was an awesome video! Great music as well. Thanks for sharing and your service @jawsf16!

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have flown through the cut more times than I can count - easily one of the most fun things to do in a fighter. It was always cool to see people at the lookout as you flew by. I have always wanted to drive out there and see it from the ground. I imagine them waiting hours for a few minutes of awesome footage. Pretty cool...

http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/the-jedi-transition-a-canyon-that-fighter-pilots-love-1678453195
When I click on this link it opens Google maps. Is it supposed to be a video?

Britboater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Great stuff, love the low flying. I actually live close to the "Mach loop" the photographer mentions. We get jets flying over our house on a regular basis because RAF valley, which is a fast jet training station, is very close.
Sometime ago some pilots got into trouble, why, I don't know, it was only a joke :(.
image.jpg

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If only I had had better eyesight.

And grades, and work ethic too, but let's blame the eyesight shall we? :):)

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@jawsf16 - Great post you made.

Everyone MIGHT enjoy this full page youtube video of the same site even better. I sincerely hope you like this add to your nice post.
Best Wishes, Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
When I click on this link it opens Google maps. Is it supposed to be a video?
It links to an article with pics and video. Works for me on my iMac and ipad.

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Have you tried contacting the photographer that is referenced at that page? Bet if he wasn't there he has the names of other photographers who might have been. I wouldn't be surprised if they'd relish the opportunity to send shots to the airmen flying the planes they photographed! They likely have thousands of shots and only publish the best of the best.
That's a great idea. Yeah u never know, I will check into it....

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Wow! Great videos..... I would love to witness those flybys in person.

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It links to an article with pics and video. Works for me on my iMac and ipad.
Got it, I had to copy the link and open in Safari, I use the Chrome app to view the forum, maybe that's why it went to google maps...

Very cool pics!
I was driving south on Hwy 65 in Mussouri and came over a hill into a big valley, 2 F-16s flew through there about level with where I was on the hill. It was awesome.
Our farm where I grew up was in the flight route for LRAFB C-130s, they flew over our field seemed like just barely above tree tops.

I just retired after almost 21 years in the AF, I still look up when planes are flying over, never gets old. I live on Tyndall AFB (Wife is still AD) so I love watching the 22's take off and bank over the house. When WESP is going on it gets more active. They are still flying the F-4s some as well!

PEARCE

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That was cool @jawsf16 thanks for sharing.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@jawsf16 - Great post you made.

Everyone MIGHT enjoy this full page youtube video of the same site even better. I sincerely hope you like this add to your nice post.
Best Wishes, Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA

@jawsf16 calls those things fast bombers. They are way less maneuverable than his ride!