• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Steering Cable Locks Up

chuck c

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
I have an older 2012 SX 190. After it sits for a while the steering wheel completely locks up. It really takes some effort to break it loose. Any trouble shooting measures I can take to resolve this problem?

If the problem is not up at the dash where the steering wheel meets cable, there are a few vids on YT about this. You'll need access to an air-compressor with a hose and fitting, some clear or see through hose (2lf -3 lf), two hose clamps, lubricating oil and some patience. Operation is simple. Disconnect cable rod from the pump. Slide hose over the cable housing and tighten with 1 hose clamp. Pour lubricating oil into tube (patience here or will be a mess). Insert compressor fitting/barb etc into hose and clamp down with 2nd hose clamp. Start compressor and allow the fluid to get pushed up into the cable housing. Turn steering wheel back and forth to help ease the fluid up into the cable. Repeat until it works or until it doesn't.

Just did to a 210 Limited S and we got one cable working and the other is suspect to fail which means complete replacement and I called all over the Northern Hemisphere and there are no replacements for this boat anywhere in Yamaha's Dealer network so he could be high and dry for months.

Maintain your boat(s)...parts are backlogged.

always check with www.sbtontheweb.com if you need parts as they have a lot of cables and other parts so they may have what you need costs nothing to check

Thanks for the tip Cobra Jet, didn't know SBT was doing parts. Tried all the regulars and nothing, even Canada.

Thanks for the tip Cobra Jet, didn't know SBT was doing parts. Tried all the regulars and nothing, even Canada.
Were you looking just for the Yamaha part number, or did you cross check with the Seastar part number too (I think the company is called Seastar now....)

This FAQ:
Covers lubricating the steering and bucket cables. This can work....but ultimately you will need to replace the steering cables (and reverse gate cables probably soon too).
Yamaha should redesign thosecablesso they can be maintained. There’s no reason they shouldn’t last for 5 years. @HangOutdoors had to replace his already. Should be a safety recall, or at least extend the warranty period for safety items.

Were you looking just for the Yamaha part number, or did you cross check with the Seastar part number too (I think the company is called Seastar now....)

Roger that. Been all over SeaStar, Teleflex trying to get the complete part. The boat owner ordered some individual cable and it came in already but OEM is a rack & pinion. Maybe there is the off chance of being able to replace individual cables within the rack. I've never dug into the R&P to see how they are put together. Maybe it can be done. Going to find out. Bottom line through all this for me is "an ounce of prevention is worth months of not being dry docked".

info to call S B T and ask if they have the parts you need
727 443 0373 | 1 877 330 0231
1401 N Myrtle Ave., Clearwater, FL 33755 | SBT.COM

Back