• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Strange fuses

Noko

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just a guess, but they could be regular automotive fuses inside a black protective cover. Can you pull a fuse and see if maybe that black casing is just a cover? That first pic looks like the fuse box cover and its telling you what that fuse position controls. You can see one position is dock lights, another is tower lights.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Look like a breaker block not fuses, looking in my manual but cant find anything on it

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Pretty sure they are standard fuses with a fancy top. I blew one and wondered the same thing. Was at the dealer that day and they just gave me a few of them for free. If you look closely they show the amperage on them if I recall.

marcham

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Looks like relays to me, not fuses. Have you looked up a parts diagram?

Noko

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Looks like relays to me, not fuses. Have you looked up a parts diagram?
Most of the boat electrical systems are on a fused based system, not relay. A relay is typically a time delayed switch based on voltage.
If everything is hooked up right on a AR240 2013, thats my boat, it all comes on once you turn on the battery switch.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Pro Build

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Pretty sure they are standard fuses with a fancy top. I blew one and wondered the same thing. Was at the dealer that day and they just gave me a few of them for free. If you look closely they show the amperage on them if I recall.
The lettering and numbers on them do not make sense something like 1.2 K and other things, if you blow the picture up you can see themarkings. I'm not with the boat so I can't look for myself.,

marcham

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
When I saw 1.2k to me that means impedance, thus my assumption that it's a relay. I'm probably wrong though, cause my wife tells me so fairly often.... ;)

Where in the boat is the box located?

Doesn't look like the fuse box in the manual.

Attachments

Last edited:

Pro Build

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
In the storage compartment that separates the cooler area from the engine compartment

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
If they are two prong they aren’t relays. My suggestion would be to pull one, turn the batteries on, and use a multimeter to check voltage to each side. If one side is 13v and one isn’t, it’s likely a fuse. That same multimeter can then be used to check the two prongs of said device for continuity and impedance. A cheap multimeter from Harbor Freight should accomplish this. $10, and it’ll save you miles of headache chasing electrical issues down the road.

Pro Build

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
They must be pretty reliable and durable if no one on this site has ever had to replace them.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Pro Build

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Cool, so it's not something I need to be worried about under normal circumstances. Thank you.

gwrace1

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
You typically see very little impedance through a relay. It's either on or off and is an electrical switch. Resistors will have a color code that tells you their impedance.

tek4fun

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Julian is correct. They are resistors. The 120 Ohm ones are termination resistors for the CAN/NMEA communications and the 1.2 k Ohm are for the lights.

PortTobacco II

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Pretty sure I have the mystery solved.....they are resistors.

View attachment 113149
So are these resistors meant to blow if I did something stupid when charging my batteries? (I debated if I should start another post but decided to jump on this one) My stupid story: Over the last month batteries went dead in my boat while on the lift. Just bought batteries 10/2020. I bought Duralast Jump Starter and hooked up battery to try to get the boat to turn over. At one put during my attempts I switched the POS and NEG with the Jump Starter and battery. The boat horn beeped and (being stupid) I tried cranking the engine anyways. At that point I pulled both batteries and brought they to AutoZone where they charged them fully. Put the batteries back into boat and I get NOTHING when I turn the keys. I am hoping at this point these resistors saved me from stupidity? I see that the green 20amp fuses where blown. I switched the 20's but still nothing. My thought is maybe the black ones are blown but I am having trouble finding them. Based on what I did, is this fuse/resistor box the first place to start when trouble shooting or should I be looking elsewhere? Any insight would be appreciated.

Attachments

EricE

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
From an electrical perspective, resistors are not a protective componant like a fuse is. A fuse is meant to protect a circuit from an over amperage situation. A resistor is meant to change the amount of current a.ong other things. Like when an led light needs 3v instead of 12v, a resistor is used to lower the voltage for the led.

Over current for a resistor usually means melting, and a burned electrical smell. You can check to see if they are ruined using a voltmeter as someone mentioned. You set it to impedence and connect the voltmeter to both ends.. It should match the number on the resistor.

Hopefully, you just missed a fuse somewhere and you get it sorted out!

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
So are these resistors meant to blow if I did something stupid when charging my batteries? (I debated if I should start another post but decided to jump on this one) My stupid story: Over the last month batteries went dead in my boat while on the lift. Just bought batteries 10/2020. I bought Duralast Jump Starter and hooked up battery to try to get the boat to turn over. At one put during my attempts I switched the POS and NEG with the Jump Starter and battery. The boat horn beeped and (being stupid) I tried cranking the engine anyways. At that point I pulled both batteries and brought they to AutoZone where they charged them fully. Put the batteries back into boat and I get NOTHING when I turn the keys. I am hoping at this point these resistors saved me from stupidity? I see that the green 20amp fuses where blown. I switched the 20's but still nothing. My thought is maybe the black ones are blown but I am having trouble finding them. Based on what I did, is this fuse/resistor box the first place to start when trouble shooting or should I be looking elsewhere? Any insight would be appreciated.
In my boat, there are fuses by the battery...that is where I would start, fuses on the ECU in the engine compartment, and fuses in the starboard side under the seat. This is something would be good for someone to make a quick video of....