• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Stuck clean out plug - different kind of question

johhnyboat

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I never had any issues with the clean out plugs, none. Last year I decided to do some "preventative" maintenance and rebuilt them. I just went to pull them to check the jet drives and the port side plug is stuck like glue. I'm going to try the car jack trick but I just replaced these things and I don't want to replace again, what can I do so they wont stick again?

I've been putting a light coat of toilet bowl wax on them, lock tabs and seals. And store them uninstalled.

I've tried a lot of things on the plugs and a healthy dose of CRC heavy duty silicone spray once a month seems to be the best.. I don't remove after every use however i do flush them with fresh water... I do find its also best to remove them if you not gonna use your boat on a daily or weekly basis..

the Previous owner use 5200 on them so getting them out the first time was a bit of a challenge.. I replaced them with new shortly after as they leaked... and bought a new set of repair seals at the same time... that was 5 years ago and I haven't needed to use the new seals....

Dumb question, but... are they releasing and stuck, or is the mechanism not releasing all the way? Maybe something got messed up in the rebuild and it is not releasing completely?

I know this doesn't answer your lube question but might help with your stuck plug. Had mine get stuck last year. Fortunately the sales rep gave me some advice during the delivery inspection. He said they can get stuck sometimes when they are out of the water and if that happens put the boat in the lake drive at speed for a little bit then stop and pull the plugs. It worked like a champ for me.

I never had any issues with the clean out plugs, none. Last year I decided to do some "preventative" maintenance and rebuilt them. I just went to pull them to check the jet drives and the port side plug is stuck like glue. I'm going to try the car jack trick but I just replaced these things and I don't want to replace again, what can I do so they wont stick again?
Do you remove them after each use?

I'm new to jetboats and picked up a sweet used one last Fall. Is it normal after an outing to have the clean out plug wells full of water? It obviously drains when I unlock the plug, but I'm not sure how it's getting in the well.

I'm new to jetboats and picked up a sweet used one last Fall. Is it normal after an outing to have the clean out plug wells full of water? It obviously drains when I unlock the plug, but I'm not sure how it's getting in the well.
Welcome to the club.
Yes, that is normal, several theories on how it fills up, but its normal.

I've tried most everything out here from lube to wax and I always end up cleaning all of that off and installing clean with a little dish soap.
The lubes and waxes pick up silt, sand and salt making it hard to reinstall. Using the soap aids the re-install and doesnt collect the debris. I'm also experiencing salt deterioration of the metal flange on the plug and dont even bother installing by hand anymore, I just use the pvc tool I made. Makes the removal and installs a snap.

I just installed the rebuild kit and they go in so easy now. Before it was a struggle.

I've tried most everything out here from lube to wax and I always end up cleaning all of that off and installing clean with a little dish soap.
The lubes and waxes pick up silt, sand and salt making it hard to reinstall. Using the soap aids the re-install and doesnt collect the debris. I'm also experiencing salt deterioration of the metal flange on the plug and dont even bother installing by hand anymore, I just use the pvc tool I made. Makes the removal and installs a snap.
Could you send a picture of your tool?

He has a different plug , you need to put ice on top of your plugs and let them sit a while then use a hammer and a stick or a piece of broom handle etc to gently go around the edge of the clean out plug and tap down on it to loosen it, then tie a rope to the T handle and use a 2 by 4 as a fulcrum and tie the rope to the 2 by 4 , protect the hull by placing a piece of wood under the end of the 2 by 4 and press the red release button while you pull up on the 2 by 4 and pry it out of the hole you may need to tap it back down with the hammer and stick or piece of wood again and then repeat the process, the ice should shrink the plug enough to let it release, then carefully change the bottom half of the clean out plug and the gasket on E bay 2 X Manhole Cover Clean Out Pump Repair Kits For Yamaha Jet Boat F0R-67609-09-00 | eBay And be sure not to loose any of the internal parts when you are doing the bottom half so use a oven pan or similar when you disassemble the plug to capture any loose pieces like the spring. After you change the bottom and the gasket clean the metal ring in the boat where the plug seats and add EZ locks to your plugs to prevent a blow out from ever occurring. Cobra EZ-Locks
and
After that you should be just fine .

Thank you ... All your info helps since I'm a new jet boat owner!

Aloha, as mentioned above by Cobra Jet, my boat uses the updated clean out port. You're in good hands though. Good Luck.

Back