• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Taking on water

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@Holly Is it possible to get more specific about this? Which bolts? Where are they located? If this happened to yours it is likely to be a problem that others encounter.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Also, why isn't there a warning that you have THAT MUCH water in the engine bay? It can't be that hard to create
There is....it is called a bilge alarm. There are directions on how to install this and a fume alarm in my signature and the FAQ. I put a bilge alarm in my 2005, and will likely put one in the 242x this winter.

Holly

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The bolts around the spot pictured. Mechanic said these boats idle hard and they probably just slipped loose and that it will probably happen again. They make bolts that lock and he recommending those. Taking it to the dealership tomorrow for inspection oil change and locking bolts. Very scary to know this can happen without much concern from dealer or manafactor. Probably caused some damage on engines. Too early to tell.
IMG_3223.PNG

Last edited by a moderator:

Scuba_ref

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have also installed a high water alarm. My sensor height is set at the top of my bilge pump. If water gets that high then trust me my boat will emit an ear piercing shriek that motivates one to action!

mraz72

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I would think a high water alarm would be standard, seems pretty important.

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Holy crap! Bad picture and sorry to see that on a newer boat. Bilge should always be on and a second bilge is a mandatory mod IMO

Would loctite on the bolts help?

Glad you god it fixed but hate hearing about these kinds of downsides of jets. Is yamaha involved?

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So went back to the lake today and had a mechanic look at it. Two loose bolts on the exhaust manifold caused this on a boat with less than 20hours wth.
I'm sorry I couldn't see the picture very well either, was he talking about the two bolts that screw into the circular clamps that holds rubber pipe on?

hollys edited.jpg

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Holly, some of this is due to just not knowing the boat or boating in general. This would have been prevented if the bilge pump was on as one of the checklist items is to check the pee holes after start and first run, to see if you bilge is pumping anything. And earlier in the checklist, your supposed to check to see that the bilge pump is even working before you go boating. These are common practices. It sounds like you may have already gone back to the lake and run the boat, but that may have been a bad idea. All the water in your engine compartment...some may have been ingested by the engines into the intake. If that happens, you not only can get water into the oil but can hydrolock the engines and cause very bad damage. It is recommended any big water accumulation like that, that covers the engines as much as you had, that the spark plugs be pulled and the engines be turned over to expel any water that did get in. Its good your asking, but a general mechanic that isn't a Yamaha mechanic, may not know for sure. If he did, he would have said to check that first thing before starting those engines again. I don't know those engines or the air intake setup like I do the MR-1, but I know they can't get the air intake underwater as that will cause them to suck in water. I'm hoping all is well and the problem is found.

SAGERFLY

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If you made it back to the dock, I doubt there was any engine damage. Lesson learned I'm sure. Change air filters and oil to be safe, but if you drove it to the dock you don't need to pull plugs.