• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Temporary driveway extension ideas?

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
We all need spots to park the boat. I have seen some beautiful setups on here!
My current spot is simply at the end of the driveway. In order for my wife to back out of the garage the rear wheels at minimum need to be in the yard.
This creates mud, an unmowable spot, and creates ruts.
Not only that but the kids are showing interest in the basketball hoop that gets blocked by the boat.
Now, i plan to redo the whole driveway but with 7000+ sq ft of drive to do, the house project needs to take priority.
What could i do to extend the driveway temporarily?
Extra kick: wife says no to gravel. My kids take sledgehammers and break cinderbocks just to throw the pieces at stuff around the yard.
Assuming I can keep the sledgehammers and destructive nature at Bay my wife still says gravel is a no-go
Any suggestions appreciated

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I should have clarified that back in the boat 10 foot further into the yard would make the basketball hoop accessible so that's kind of what I'm aiming for

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
How about some inexpensive pavers? Bunch of prep work, but not a super hard job.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
How about some inexpensive pavers? Bunch of prep work, but not a super hard job.
Wouldn't be horrid but I guess I could make it like a mini - patio.
I was hoping not to do pavers until I filled in where the pool was. Perhaps I just fill in where the pool was with grass for now. Getting tired of the mud in my yard for real. Makes life hard, especially when I live on a corner lot and I have to mow tons of ditch 3 foot deep, 20 foot wide like 350' of it or something dumb.
I actually have pavers I ripped out of our shop when we re did it because my wife really liked them. Unilock Richcliff. Just will suck if I do that all by hand and then rip it out a few years later to do the whole driveway.
Although, maybe I keep it or expand it at that point. I dunno.

I guess I could always just get those big square ones and set down in the grass and let it kill everything off too.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Maybe something like this would work for ya. Fast and easy View attachment 90958
I wonder if i could use these and stack em up next to the shed for winter?
Side note on that is i lost my indoor winter storage. My aunt is selling the place.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Maybe something like this would work for ya. Fast and easy View attachment 90958
What is that? Rubber sheets? Doesn’t look like you have this problem, but can you mow over it? I don’t think I’d ever get that back up once the grass got entwined in it. But, would definitely help with ruts in the mud.

Liftr

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Last edited:

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Plywood... 2x4 under it with rail spikes and screw plywood into it.

DieselCamel

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
World Cat
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Side note on that is i lost my indoor winter storage. My aunt is selling the place.

No first hand experience. Seen this over on the hull truth. Someone had a similar problem.

PJ73

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I’m with @DieselCamel on this.
I can’t recommend this particular product, but I have seen similar solutions for “grass driveways”.
Permeable Pavers - Gravel or Grass Infill Commercial Paving | TRUEGRID

Home Depot version

You put down a sand base, then lay out the plastic grid, and fill with a little topsoil, and grass seed. Looks like your lawn, but won’t leave ruts.

Doing some quick math on the HD offering; you can lay out two wheel paths, 19” wide by 19’ long for $300.
What what what? what is that stuff? I'm going from an 18' single axle to a 21' tandem axle on the side of my house. Not sure if I can make the swing. The pad is 26' long x 12' wide. I'm worried about constantly going over the grass to get the boat in and out. The swing portion is 10' wide and I was able to push my 18' boat in there by hand, but this 212X, not so much. Those pavers look awesome and I could grow grass in between?90980

Markk

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Grass grows through the grids and you leave them in place. In some venues we drive semis over this type of structure with beautiful grass growing through it. The grass isn’t damaged, and no ruts.

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What what what? what is that stuff? I'm going from an 18' single axle to a 21' tandem axle on the side of my house. Not sure if I can make the swing. The pad is 26' long x 12' wide. I'm worried about constantly going over the grass to get the boat in and out. The swing portion is 10' wide and I was able to push my 18' boat in there by hand, but this 212X, not so much. Those pavers look awesome and I could grow grass in between?View attachment 90980
You gotta remember in your case, you're going to have the small wheel on the tongue going over those "spaces". It'll provide an easy roll for the back wheels on the trailer, but it's going to be a cast iron bitch getting that smaller wheel around. I dunno how you feel about your skills, but there's an in-the-box and never assembled concrete mixer sitting in my garage right now. That's not that big an area to do, and you could split that up into 2-3 sections and do separate pours for it. Not the ideal method, but easier to DIY and better and smoother for that transition you're wanting.

gthh

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
400. ft. (12x33) trugrid $1000 to $1200 not including approx. 100 cu. ft 3.7 cu. yards of soil,sand etc. + weekend =
Instant (almost) boat trailer pad. sounds good to me!

msavold

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Speedling, was going to suggest the same thing - a cellular geogrid. Truegrid is one manufacturer, there are lots of others like NDS, even some sold on Amazon. Specified this stuff for a number of projects, the latest being a school bus parking area next to playing fields. Area was a mess with tire tracks and mud. Only thing is to avoid cheap stuff - the cells just collapse.
Secret to happiness is to make sure the base is well prepped per instructions and to let the grass establish before driving over it. You'll also need to put something under the front wheel since its diameter will allow it to sink into most of the grids.
Done properly you can't even notice it's there, but it takes a while to establish.
Other alternatives would be turf pavers (can drive on them sooner than the grids but more $ and more of a pain to install properly) and a biaxial geogrid (the original "geogrid") (such as terrafixgeo.com/products/geogrids/ which is completely under the sod and spreads the load out. Very good for soft soils but harder to install properly than cellular grids.

PJ73

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
You gotta remember in your case, you're going to have the small wheel on the tongue going over those "spaces". It'll provide an easy roll for the back wheels on the trailer, but it's going to be a cast iron bitch getting that smaller wheel around. I dunno how you feel about your skills, but there's an in-the-box and never assembled concrete mixer sitting in my garage right now. That's not that big an area to do, and you could split that up into 2-3 sections and do separate pours for it. Not the ideal method, but easier to DIY and better and smoother for that transition you're wanting.
I will be towing it out of that spot, not pushing it so the guide wheel won't be an issue. Also, I have enough concrete in front of the house, if I can keep the "Grass" look and improve the angle to get in/out of that spot, that would be ideal.

Liftr

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I will be towing it out of that spot, not pushing it so the guide wheel won't be an issue. Also, I have enough concrete in front of the house, if I can keep the "Grass" look and improve the angle to get in/out of that spot, that would be ideal.
Looking at your picture, it seems that you just want to reinforce your turning corner.
You can cut the sod out of that area, then remove a couple more inches of soil to put down your new sub grade.
Install the geo grid on desired grade.
Cut your old sod up into small pieces to stuff in your new grid.
Your yard will reestablish in just a few days.