• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Tesla Truck? No thanks....

Peelz

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Nothing like a $20mil interest free loan to keep the doors open eh?

LOL those doors aren't closing anytime soon....

People said the same thing about the Model 3 and its pre-orders too.... but that's up to nearly 200k sold now in two years.

I guess Its not the normal model for American car companies way of building millions of sh*tty unsold cars and throwing them into dealerships to collect dust until they sell it to someone with credit... Getting money before production is different. but it works. less wasteful IMO.

I'm sure Some will pull out because they run out of patience.... but it'll still sell.

If I was in need of a vehicle, I would do it. But I don't.

FYI: My wife absolutely HATES it. lol She looked up while the kids and me were looking at it and goes "Well thats hideous, I wont ride with you in it"

:D:D:D:D

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

People said the same thing about the Model 3 and its pre-orders too.... but that's up to nearly 200k sold now in two years.

I guess Its not the normal model for American car companies way of building millions of sh*tty unsold cars and throwing them into dealerships to collect dust until they sell it to someone with credit... Getting money before production is different. but it works. less wasteful IMO.

I'm sure Some will pull out because they run out of patience.... but it'll still sell.

FYI: My wife absolutely HATES it. lol She looked up while the kids and me were looking at it and goes "Well thats hideous, I wont ride with you in it"

I concur. They aren't closing anytime soon. Was me just being facetious.

I think the Cybertruk answers a lot of questions that noboby ever asked. The question that was asked was "When can we get an electric pickup". Similarly, the previous question was "When can we get an electric car that doesn't look like one", and the model S appeared. Then everyone wanted a "Reasonably priced electric car", and the model 3 showed up. What question was he intending to answer here?

And yes, you're wife is right this time......it looks atrocious.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The look is growing on me. If I had one and someone sassed me at the light I would probably revert to my childish side and show them how fast it accelerates (not that this is a factor for me when selecting a tow vehicle but losing a drag race tends to make the loser humble by the next stop/light).

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

With terms like that the customer is still "paying interest." If you hand a business your cash and don't charge them any interest for it, even if they simply hand you your cash back a year later, you're out the money you could have earned by investing it in anything that has a non-zero rate of return.

Never discount the Time Value of Money - especially when you start talking about MILLIONS of dollars.

In "traditional" business models, you take out a loan to develop, build, hire, etc. You pay interest on that loan the whole time you're getting your product ready. Finally, when you have a product or service, you sell it. You use the proceeds from the sale to pay off the loan over time. Some of your profit is sucked up by interest. (Did I say "some"? Try "most.")

If you can get paid ahead of time - wow: You don't lose any profit to interest.

This is why companies love gift-cards so much: It's negative payment terms. You've given them money but they haven't provided you with a product yet. Even if every single customer remembers to spend their gift cards (which they usually don't) it's still a win for them because there is a delay between them receiving the money and the time they provide the product or service to the customer. During this delay, they can invest that money.

Of course some folks will scoff at the interest lost on $100. It seems like nothing to an individual. But a business being handed $20 million in cash is nothing to sneeze at. That's $20 million less in loans that Tesla has to take out for developing and building this model. That's a LOT of interest and a lot of profit Tesla gets to keep.

Peelz

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I concur. They aren't closing anytime soon. Was me just being facetious.

I think the Cybertruk answers a lot of questions that noboby ever asked. The question that was asked was "When can we get an electric pickup". Similarly, the previous question was "When can we get an electric car that doesn't look like one", and the model S appeared. Then everyone wanted a "Reasonably priced electric car", and the model 3 showed up. What question was he intending to answer here?

And yes, you're wife is right this time......it looks atrocious.
HA I used that exact phrase!

the only question I can think of is.. "why don't cars look like I thought they would in the future as a kid?" :D Think about it... honestly...I look back.. since the front drive/compact revolution, not a WHOLE lot has changed outside of electronics/engine management. This is different. Companies talk about how cheap we can make them, then, how can we market them so people think they're cool or or be broadly attractive and make money, then go into blind production.. Tesla is a different model.

The marketing first, quality second model is my problem with current vehicles... for instance, Wife wanted VW minivan when it came out. I'm like. Uh no, its a Caravan underneath... I can always tell the stolen chassis when I walk up to them. Cadillac SUV's pretend theyre upscale and its basically a 20 yr old Blazer. Don't get me started on the fake Hummer thats a Tahoe....Jeeps now that aren't Jeeps. Mercedes that's Chrysler.... etc... Styling wise, I don't like the Aztek comparison people are bringing up with the Cybertruck. the Aztek was a mass produced generic GM chassis underneath...

this has none of that lol and It's growing on me because of that. I do want to have a closer look at the "exo skeleton" though... sounds gimmicky. :rolleyes: I'm still old school. While I appreciate the way they do it, I need something in my hands I can touch and feel before I open my wallet. NOTE: This comment is about the truck... ive checked out the other tesla models in person, I'm already sold on them. If I need another car and the cost is at least close, i would consider ordering..

Peelz

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
With terms like that the customer is still "paying interest." If you hand a business your cash and don't charge them any interest for it, even if they simply hand you your cash back a year later, you're out the money you could have earned by investing it in anything that has a non-zero rate of return.

Never discount the Time Value of Money - especially when you start talking about MILLIONS of dollars.

In "traditional" business models, you take out a loan to develop, build, hire, etc. You pay interest on that loan the whole time you're getting your product ready. Finally, when you have a product or service, you sell it. You use the proceeds from the sale to pay off the loan over time. Some of your profit is sucked up by interest. (Did I say "some"? Try "most.")

This is why companies love gift-cards so much: It's negative payment terms. You've given them money but they haven't provided you with a product yet. Even if every single customer remembers to spend their gift cards (which they usually don't) it's still a win for them because there is a delay between them receiving the money and the time they provide the product or service to the customer. During this delay, they can invest that money.

Of course some folks will scoff at the interest lost on $100. It seems like nothing to an individual. But a business being handed $20 million in cash is nothing to sneeze at. That's $20 million less in loans that Tesla has to take out for developing and building this model. That's a LOT of interest and a lot of profit Tesla gets to keep.
see experimental airplanes for reference. this is standard business.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
They sure will stand out on the road. No clue why they though ballistic glass was something consumers needed....then the epic fail!

The specs sure look interesting. Electric vehicles keep coming down in price and up in range (as predicted). Perhaps by the time this actually comes out, it will 1) look better, and 2) really sell at this price.....

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Peelz

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
yup now i want the boat too lol

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
If you just can’t wait for the Tesla truck you want ...

seventyeight

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think it is ugly. But I think the technology is cooler than the truck is ugly and I would buy one if I had the money.

The funny thing to me is that all of their other vehicles are so incredibly sleek and sexy and this truck is a complete 180 from that approach of making cars.
Agreed. I would ignore the ugly and get it for the techology.

Also, funny you saying their other vehicles are sexy; Actually, on their site, they listed the product lineup in this order:
S, 3, X, Y, Cybertruck.
Just like they're saying, there is SEXY, and then there is Cybertryuck... Or maybe they're trying to imply "SEXY Cybertruck".
Either way, Tesla is very gutsy to come out with such design. But they were gutsy to take on the traditional car manufacturers and get into this whole electric car venture, so no surprise here.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

$20M is quite literally pennies to Tesla. In the last quarter, they burned $68M a day (yes, a day). The lost interest on a hundred bucks over two years is indeed nothing to an individual, it's even less to Tesla.

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
If you just can’t wait for the Tesla truck you want ...

Honestly this is the truck they probably SHOULD have made. Maybe jack it up a bit to fit some truck tires. I watched her make this a few months ago, found her via Rich Rebuilds. Kind of a genius idea really.

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
To me that Tesla "truck" looks like the strange off-spring of a car from the Tron movie set & a delorian.

My largest problem with an electric truck is infrastructure based. I've yet to see an electric charger that is accommodating to a truck towing a trailer (much less a 11.5 got high boat & trailer). Although Tesla is reportedly launching an electric semi, I can't imagine queuing up behind a semi at their charging port. Thus, the alternative when towing is to: drop the boat somewhere, go charge, then pick up the boat.

Not..overly...practical.

Peelz

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
To me that Tesla "truck" looks like the strange off-spring of a car from the Tron movie set & a delorian.

My largest problem with an electric truck is infrastructure based. I've yet to see an electric charger that is accommodating to a truck towing a trailer (much less a 11.5 got high boat & trailer). Although Tesla is reportedly launching an electric semi, I can't imagine queuing up behind a semi at their charging port. Thus, the alternative when towing is to: drop the boat somewhere, go charge, then pick up the boat.

Not..overly...practical.
yep... not overly practical....

YET!!

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I hope to be able to use the Semi chargers on the truck they should charge at 400 miles a half hour on the MegaChargers.

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I want one! It's become my new ideal vehicle above a hellcat charger or model s. Super fast, does truck stuff, has auto pilot. I could care less want it looks like and take the cool bed cover and built in ramps over looks.

thefortunes

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I hope to be able to use the Semi chargers on the truck they should charge at 400 miles a half hour on the MegaChargers.
I'll be testing this in a couple weeks (road-trip), but the newest Tesla superchargers can add about 200 miles of range in 12 minutes.