• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

The Stern Saver

Jluzader

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I am in the process of installing my Dragonfly 5 Pro and do not want to drill holes on my boat. What do you all think of this product the SternSaver? http://www.sternsaver.com/

What is the best route to run the transducer cable from the dash and out?

Cheers, this forum is really getting busy with the warm weather upon us. Going to be a good first summer with you all.....

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Never heard of or used the SternSaver.

But: wouldn't the space between the plates lead to more cavitation/air bubbles to interfere with the transducer while running?

Jluzader

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Looking at some videos and pics I have not heard anything yet of that issue.

stern.jpg

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hmm... That is not what I thought it would be like when attached, looking at the pics on the website. If that is how it looks, installed, I would not have a concern.

Of course, I also would not be concerned about drilling below the water level and sealing it. If you think about it, they did that to install the jets, the transducer and all the other stuff on the boat.

gthh

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My only concern would be locating a site that is large and flat enough to accommodate the mount. Also as mentioned if for some reason you want to mount it in another location removing the mount would probably be difficult if not impossible without damaging the gelcoat. You can easily fill and make disappear two screw holes with the standard mount.

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Hey @Jluzader I haven't looked into this task yet,....But can we not use the thru hole currently occupied by the OEM transducer ?

jryan

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am in the process of installing my Dragonfly 5 Pro and do not want to drill holes on my boat. What do you all think of this product the SternSaver? Stern Saver – Never drill holes below the waterline again!

What is the best route to run the transducer cable from the dash and out?

Cheers, this forum is really getting busy with the warm weather upon us. Going to be a good first summer with you all.....
Did you end up using this for your install? Considering the same thing, still have to figure out where to route transducer cable but this is 2 less holes I have to put in my boat.

jryan

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Holes from screws used for these installs are really pretty simple to cover up. But my experience so far is:
  1. I either use the holes for the replacement device I am installing or
  2. I sell the boat before I replace the current device
So I'm really not bothered about drilling holes in the transom (or anywhere for that matter). I think at last count I'd drilled 6 or 7 large (greater than 1") holes in my boat for various accessories and speakers!

jryan

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Holes from screws used for these installs are really pretty simple to cover up. But my experience so far is:
  1. I either use the holes for the replacement device I am installing or
  2. I sell the boat before I replace the current device
So I'm really not bothered about drilling holes in the transom (or anywhere for that matter). I think at last count I'd drilled 6 or 7 large (greater than 1") holes in my boat for various accessories and speakers!
After getting over drilling that first hole, I can certainly agree with the fact that it's not a big deal. I was nervous, new boat owner and didn't want to mess anything up. (which I did install in the wrong location first). This gave me some grace and a quick way to move/remount mine and hit the water in the same hour. That was probably the biggest benefit.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
After getting over drilling that first hole, I can certainly agree with the fact that it's not a big deal. I was nervous, new boat owner and didn't want to mess anything up. (which I did install in the wrong location first). This gave me some grace and a quick way to move/remount mine and hit the water in the same hour. That was probably the biggest benefit.
Yeah....that first hole is a tough one! I eased into it on my 242X...first hole was a USB charger....then moved up to 6.5" speakers....not that is a serious pucker factor!!!!! Especially when you are putting them in a spot that the dealer says they won't fit!!!!

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Frankly, I think that fixing your own gelcoat seriously helps with this pucker factor (which I totally understand). I did my first drill about the same time as I was fixing my first deep scratch, which I think was a blessing. Once you understand really how this fiberglass stuff works, even if you mess up a hole, you understand how totally fixable it is. And how many times you don't even really need to fix it.

It's your baby. I get it. Drill a hole in it with the advice of your friends here. It will be fine.