• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Thrust Vector

Dshriber

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I am a relatively new jet boater. Curious about the thrust vector. Do you think its worth adding? what's the benefit? I have an fsh 210 use about 75% fishing / 25% cruising

Thanks!

deubank1776

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
I am a relatively new jet boater. Curious about the thrust vector. Do you think its worth adding? what's the benefit? I have an fsh 210 use about 75% fishing / 25% cruising

Thanks!
I would wait to see. I don't think it is a "cant boat without it" type of thing.

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
No need. Learn to work the boat yourself. Piece of cake once you get the hang of it. Especially with a single engine.

Dshriber

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
thank you for the feedback. I have 2 seasons down and have dramatically improved my docking skills. I'm on a river and have a good bit of kids on the boat. if it makes it easier and safer i am intrigued but also don't want to waste money. I do have two engines. any thoughts on my scenario? thanks!!

fatboyroy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I tried with 3 mos with no TV and its doable. When I added it, it helps when its very windy and close proximity docking (ie restaurant w busy dock)

Dshriber

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
thank you. any preference on cobra or jet boat pilot?

lazergeek

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
thank you. any preference on cobra or jet boat pilot?
Depends on if you want better tracking at all speeds or just slow? I got Cobra's because I wanted better tracking at all speeds. Cobra installs process also aligns the jet pump output with your keel since they are never set correctly from the factory. I also painted mine to match the pumps.

Attachments

Dshriber

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
looks great! does cobra help with reverse as well? Seems like cobra does more?

thanks

lazergeek

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
looks great! does cobra help with reverse as well? Seems like cobra does more?

thanks
I have the Fangs too which is an option which are suppose to help with reverse but honestly with the articulating keel they don't help that much. I was confused which ones to get but I emailed Jeff and Cobra and help was helpful. I got the Cobra Super Magnum AK-19 with fang add on.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
thank you for the feedback. I have 2 seasons down and have dramatically improved my docking skills. I'm on a river and have a good bit of kids on the boat. if it makes it easier and safer i am intrigued but also don't want to waste money. I do have two engines. any thoughts on my scenario? thanks!!
Have you learned to split the throttles? I think learning how to use your two engines by splitting the throttles has more control than anything else, except maybe practice.

I have a season and a half in the same boat as yours and do not have any control enhancing fins. I’m sure those devices contribute to low speed maneuvering but to me they add a place to cut a fishing line, and something else to kick while swimming. Learning to use the TDE position (first detent on idle ahead) with the no wake mode also helps with low speed handling.

I do a lot of trolling with the Ulterra trolling motor, the biggest issue is trolling down wind and being pushed by the wind. This causes the trolling motor prop speed to slow down to maintain say 1.8 mph which reduces directional control. Add in the the yaw caused by this wind and the boat starts to skid and wander. I’ve solved this problem by throwing out a drogue or drift anchor tied to the tow point, this slows the boat and the trolling motor increases prop speed to maintain the boat speed increasing the trolling motors directional control and with the drogue pulling on the rear this helps keep the boat from yawing as much. You can try tying your 5 gallon bucket on for a quick experiment if you do not have a drogue. Once I make my turn to head into the wind I stow the drogue in the wet storage area above the clean out plugs.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
As a FYI, jet boat pilot has a sale that ends today on thrust vectors, 20% off.

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
No need. When one of my girls was about ten, she could drive the boat right up onto the trailer. Then again, the kid is a jet pilot now so maybe that's why. But wife could do it also.....a bit of practice and youre set. Don't believe the hype/sales pitches. No thrust? No control. Except for the final slow down period when you back off the thrust and then only for a few feet until momentum is lost. Thrust? Control. Learn to bump the engines as appropriate.

bulldog2009

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
well the time is here. I am finally picking my 255 FSH in 2 weeks. After reading the pros and cons to the thrust vectors I went ahead and purchased them. Can't wait to get the boat

Manny252

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Depends on if you want better tracking at all speeds or just slow? I got Cobra's because I wanted better tracking at all speeds. Cobra installs process also aligns the jet pump output with your keel since they are never set correctly from the factory. I also painted mine to match the pumps.
Wow, great idea and the paint idea looks great, can't wait to try mine I just installed

TX_Mercenary

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XE
Boat Length
I’m keeping my surfpointe angles. I have the integrated wakebooster and it really helps with the surfwake with fins all the way down on the lowest settings. Looking to mod my fins to help keep the fins perpendicular to the back of the boat and parallel with the keel

Manny252

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
well the time is here. I am finally picking my 255 FSH in 2 weeks. After reading the pros and cons to the thrust vectors I went ahead and purchased them. Can't wait to get the boat
WELL ? Send pic's of ya baby and how you like ?

Cowboy14

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length

Thanks!
I am in the same scenario with fishing being the primary reason for the boat. I have no real challenges with steering at low speeds or docking by splitting the throttles etc… But my wife is usually the boat driver while I go get the trailer. She always freaks out that she will not be able to steer the boat in the wind or whatever. She hates having to commit to going forward in order to get control. I am still considering whether this will help her when we are loading. The lateral thrusters are not really the component I am interested in the most, but for an extra $200 I might even go ahead. Have you got yours?

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I am in the same scenario with fishing being the primary reason for the boat. I have no real challenges with steering at low speeds or docking by splitting the throttles etc… But my wife is usually the boat driver while I go get the trailer. She always freaks out that she will not be able to steer the boat in the wind or whatever. She hates having to commit to going forward in order to get control. I am still considering whether this will help her when we are loading. The lateral thrusters are not really the component I am interested in the most, but for an extra $200 I might even go ahead. Have you got yours?
Have you worked with your wife practicing docking / loading?

Perhaps have her watch the girls.

Last edited:

Cowboy14

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Have you worked with your wife practicing docking / loading?

Perhaps have her watch the girls.

Yes, she’s been driving and loading our boats for over 10 years. So she is not a novice. The issue with steering a jet driven boat is new to her but it’s a feeling of a lack of control when it’s windy, etc… we are in Oklahoma. My question was revolving around a feeling, for her, of increased stability at low speed in wind and less about her actual skill.