• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Tow Vehicle Bug Cleaner

Dennis P

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Good evening,
I have a 2017 GMC Yukon XL Premium, Its black and I can't seem to scrub off the bug guts with my Meguiars car soap and mitt. Does anyone have a gentle cleaning product to recommend that won't scratch or cause my black paint to fade or end up with scuffs?
Thanks in advance

Scarabscott

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 ID
Boat Length
chemical guys sells a bug and tar cleaner and bug mit that they recommended for my black durango r/t .

TimW451

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I bought this based on a recommendation on a car website (I think Mustang5g). It works really good, but it is strong. Recommended method is to spray on cloth, not car. Rinse with water very well to make sure it has been fully removed. Re-wax the area, as it will take the wax off.

Last edited:

VitaminSea

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
SeaForm Bug B Gone

Spray on, let site for a few moments, go over with a bug sponge, and 90%-95% of the bugs will magically release. Either repeat for the balance, or use a spray wax/detailed once you have finished cleaning your car.

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
SeaForm Bug B Gone

Spray on, let site for a few moments, go over with a bug sponge, and 90%-95% of the bugs will magically release. Either repeat for the balance, or use a spray wax/detailed once you have finished cleaning your car.
Sea FOAM Bug B Gone. Seconded. I got mine from Amazon. I use it on my car weekly. The trip back south from upper Wisconsin usually leaves forward-facing surfaces of my car looking like a bug holocaust. I usually soak the front and mirrors down really well and then run the car through a car wash. They want $2-3 for their bug remover, and it doesn't do nearly as good a job as this stuff.

NewBoater

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
A full detail and hand wax should work

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
If you want to go the cheap route, buy some dollar store laundry pre-treat in a spray bottle. Spray on vehicle, wash with soapy mitt, done.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
After you get the leading edges of the vehicle cleaned of the bug guts apply a good layer of paste wax on those spots and the guts will come off easy the next time. I apply a few coats of paste a year on these areas and it works great.

Levi Weatherford

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
"Awesome" cleaner from Lowes or the Dollar Store is great for bugs. Spray on surface and watch the bugs start to run down the windshield or grill. You can then wipe lightly and rinse the rest of the leftover bugs off.

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Windex. Let it sit for a few, then wash. Theres another product called “Wesley’s Bleach-white” that works about as well. You just need something with ammonia, which I think those both have.

PEARCE

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I use a 50/50 mix of Simply Green and water in a spray bottle. It's the same thing I use to clean my wheels and tires. I spray it on first thing on a dry car and let it work. I'll scrub the wheels and tires first while it's soaking. If it's really bad I'll hit them again halfway through doing the wheels and tires. It usually works very well. You will want to rewax or whatever you choose to seal and protect the surface afterwards since it removes the wax. I use Topcoat F11 on all my vehicles and I don't have issues with removing bug guts anymore.

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
that's "Totally Awesome" from the Dollar Store. Cheap and effective no need for the overpriced and hyped stuff. Then again, I am a cheapskate