• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Towing a Jetski with a 242 Limited S-E

Krabi Sunset

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
When I get my new boat I will also consider getting a nice big Yamaha Jet-Ski to go with it.

Would you just tow the Jet-Ski behind the boat? How far behind? and would you have any concerns going WOT in a straight line on the ocean with fairly calm waters, with said Jet-Ski behind you being towed?

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

Krabi Sunset

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The right ones could certainly lift it, but you would want to set it on a cradle on the swim platform. But not sure a 3 seater will fit up there.

Krabi Sunset

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I think I'll stop pretending my 242 is a superyacht and that I can bring all my toys with me.

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You can tow it just fine. Add a water shut-off on the ski. Wot will be tricky, especially in the ocean unless it's flat. You'll want 100' of line to attempt that . The only rule when towing fast is never ever let the tow vehicle cross the wake. Never ever! Have enough line, and keep an eye on it. I would keep it under 30, probably 25. There is no way you can fit a 3 seat ski on the back without making tracks and a large hoist. I'd estimate $5k+ to have a mount made. I wouldn't do that, but I'd tow it somewhere if i was going to be there a while. You'll need a helper to pull it in and manage it while in as marina or docking.

I'm taking about a small 300lb ski, only 7'x<2'. A 3 seat , 11'x4' 900+ lb ski is a different beast.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Some interesting points in this article to consider....

https://www.yachtingmagazine.com/towing-fundamentals

Like reinforced towing tackle and tow points, "Remember that once you get under way with this rig, the yacht becomes a tow boat under the Rules of the Road navregs and the tender a towed vessel, so each must display the proper markings and lights for such operation"

boudin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've towed skis at 20+mph, but only after blocking off the water intake. Put a fluid line clamp on the intake hose coming off the pump strainer... it'll be the hose on the port side of the motor with the Y flush adapter connected.

Everyone should carry set of fluid line clamps for towing of your boat, or another ski/boat should it be necessary. These work:

https://www.harborfreight.com/4-piece-fluid-line-clamp-set-65116.html

-Greg

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I wonder, couldn't you have some type of semi rigid tow bar off each of the rear rings? Kind of the the way RV'ers tow their personal vehicle?

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

mrmeaniemeateaterman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I sense a homemade towdster thread shortly. Pics of pvc pipe and pool noodles will likely be involved.

Krabi Sunset

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Boooo Ya

My friend, I owe you a beer. :winkingthumbsup"

I sense a homemade towdster thread shortly. Pics of pvc pipe and pool noodles will likely be involved.
LOL. Very true. They are not exactly cheap. But I don't mind, as they serve a wonderful purpose.

I think you could hack one together really fast with PVC pipe and some hammocks, but I am the guy who buys the Towdster and tips his hat to the creator for being so smart.

Last edited:

Krabi Sunset

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length

Seems to work just fine.

I emailed Towdster and asked them which of their products they recommended for my 242 and a 750lbs 3 seater 12' long PWC. They said they Y shape not the V shape and sent me the above YouTube.

Last edited:

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just be careful. I've towed a lot of things on plane. It can get wild real quick whenever it decides to go down the wake . If they go side to side it can also generate extreme forces.

AlphaKap

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I can just imagine the jet ski breaking free and flying through the back of the boat. No thanks.