• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

TR-1 oil filters

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I had been waiting to get notified when the Amsoil oil filters were back in stock for my TR-1 engines. Also listed on the Amsoil website was the WIX equivalent. In the past I have seen several posts about different oil filter options the 1.8L but not for the TR-1.

Here’s the Yamaha oil filter box for the TR-1. You can easily cross reference other Yamaha power sports equipment from that list to find alternate oil filters.

B99BA1E2-01F2-4CCB-88D4-25F3FF78B1C5.jpeg

Here‘s a screenshot of the Amsoil website. I ran several cross reference on Amsoil’s web site and they all came back with these two filters.

C23E0B71-B210-4CAB-B081-4D57B3F34E9A.png

jmargo

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What is wrong with Yamaha filters ? Price ?

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
What is wrong with Yamaha filters ? Price ?
Price isn’t in the equation for me.

I’m sure the Yamaha filters are good enough but I want better. The Amsoil filters are 20 microns at 98-99% efficiency. Edit: 99% efficient at 2 microns.

I’ve pondered about putting a Amsoil high bypass filter system on each engine to bring the total filtration down to 2 microns at 99% efficiency. Perhaps in the future.

It would be a good experiment to pull oil samples at my next change interval and send them out for used oil analysis then do the same with when using the Amsoil filters. Ive been running the Amsoil marine oil for a while now and I won’t go back to the Yamaha oil for an experiments sake.

Last edited:

jmargo

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Do you happen to have the Yamaha specs ?

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Do you happen to have the Yamaha specs ?
I do not because Yamaha doesn’t post them, whereas Amsoil does.

Amsoil does third party testing of most of their products using either ISO testing standards where other manufacturers do not.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length

lazergeek

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Yamaha filters are not what they use to be.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Yamaha filters are not what they use to be, They dont make them as well as they use to.
I’ve also seen evidence of chinese fake look alikes…

adeptds

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I personally like K&N because of the nut welded on top so you can use a wrench easily. I think KN-204-1 is the equivalent

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I personally like K&N because of the nut welded on top so you can use a wrench easily. I think KN-204-1 is the equivalent
What about the filtering efficiency?

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What about the filtering efficiency?
Another, where it's difficult to track down info on the efficiency. In the admittedly short look I took, I could only find "ad copy" language that mentioned "99% filtering", with no mention of particle size or anything else.

I've got some K&N's for mine that will be installed at some point this year, but the part # is different from what was posted above. I've only ever had 1 issue in all the years I've used K&N's, and that was a single counterfeit sold through Amazon. They made it right, so never any issue with usage for a legit filter, and that nut was almost a requirement for one of the cars I owned.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

David Martin

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Don't mean throw a wrench in anyone thought process but the smallest micron is not the end all of a filter.........Best is not always better......... I have seen some oil flow data on a few of the best filters out there and some are EXTREAMLY restrictive............engines that turn the RPM's that the 1.8 and the TR-1 turn, need good oil flow.

If a filter gives you the smallest micron size and still maintains good flow numbers I'm in........Please let me know if you come across flow numbers on a lot of the filters named............I like Data over Advertising any day.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Don't mean throw a wrench in anyone thought process but the smallest micron is not the end all of a filter.........Best is not always better......... I have seen some oil flow data on a few of the best filters out there and some are EXTREAMLY restrictive............engines that turn the RPM's that the 1.8 and the TR-1 turn, need good oil flow.

If a filter gives you the smallest micron size and still maintains good flow numbers I'm in........Please let me know if you come across flow numbers on a lot of the filters named............I like Data over Advertising any day.
I agree with this... let's not forget that if the oil is too restricted it might pop the bypass valve within the filter and now you're not filtering any oil!

Bottom Bracket

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Best way to polish your oil is with a kidney loop. pull a little off, run it through 3-5 micron absolute filter and route back to motor. Great for otr trucks racking up miles as it allows you to extend the life of the oil.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I poked around and found the link below that talks about the filter testing standard.

The point about flow rates is well taken. Flow rates of filters are designed to be compatible with the intended application, and are dependent on the associated systems. To give a bit more perspective, if you look at the picture I posted in my original post, the OEM TR-1 filter is used across a wide spectrum of Yamaha vehicles, one of which is the YZF R6, a 600 cc in line four cylinder engine that probably red lines around 12,500 rpm. If the filter manufacturers built oil filters that did not flow an adequate amount of oil they would be buying a lot of engines as testing would prove that their oil filters were causing oil starvation related engine failures.

The WIX filters are the only ones that I found with flow rate information of 8-10 gallons per minute. I posted this link above but again here for reference; Part Details While that flow rate information is helpful, without knowing the flow rate of our engines lubrication system the oil filter flow rate information is not relative. In other words, if our engines only flow 5 gallons a minute it’s non sequitur.

Another important feature is whether or not there is an anti drain back valve in the filter, which both the WIX / NAPA Gold and Amsoil have, others may too but I didn’t look them up. This is especially important for the TR-1 engines and their upside down vertical installation. The 1.8’s are horizontal but the anti drain back is still important here as well. For those that may not understand this, the anti drain back keeps the oil filter full of oil after shutdown so that the oil pump does not have to refill the oil filter before pressurizing the system.

The filter efficiency of the WIX / NAPA Gold is listed as Beta Ratio 2/20=6/20(???), anytime a manufacturer lists data in such a way that only those familiar with the verbiage associated with a testing procedure can know make me go 🤔…. the WIX lists a nominal particle size of 21 microns. The Amsoil filter is listed as 20 microns at 99% efficiency=easy and transparent.

This last oil interval (100 hours) was the first time I had used the Amsoil filters, I’ve been using Amsoil 10W-40 Marine oil for some time now, and while this may seem subjective it is not, it is an observation, the used oil at the end of this 100 hour interval was markedly cleaner than with the oem oil filters. The used oil with Amsoil filters came out a dark amber, the oil with the oem filters came out coal black.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Best way to polish your oil is with a kidney loop. pull a little off, run it through 3-5 micron absolute filter and route back to motor. Great for otr trucks racking up miles as it allows you to extend the life of the oil.
If there was room in the engine bay I’d install a high bypass filter for each engine. These systems extend engine life by a factor of four.