• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Trailer guide posts vs bunks

DiggerPA

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Sorry if I missed this somewhere. Anyone have experience with both trailer guide posts and bunks. And if so could you share your experience and preference? New 195 s owner. Launched 2x last weekend. One day no problems but very little wind and current. Second day windy and current and it was not petty by any means. Thinking is posts or bunks would help.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Babin nailed it. That and the fact that side bunks are good for aluminum boats. But our boats, you want the guide post on the rub rail. Which is much higher, and a post can always remain in contact with the rub rail.

DiggerPA

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Good points, thanks. And thanks for the posts you included.

DiggerPA

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Sorry one more question. What size posts did you install?

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Sorry one more question. What size posts did you install?
They may seem big, but the 65" VeVe guides were my favorite guide posts. The length was very important for deep landings. Only you know the landings that you will be using. Pads are recommended as well.

Boat Trailer Guides | Post Guide-Ons, 65" Tall | VE-VE Inc. (veveinc.com)

If too short, they will get under the rub rail and rip it out if the weight comes down on them. If you go with lights on the posts, like the CE Smith posts, then having them up high is nice for backing in low light.

HawaiiBreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I do a lot of solo boating and this topic was near and dear to me...we get super winds off the ocean and I've been turned 180 just trying to dock. Under duress I was making a mess of things when I first started out. No problems getting out but coming in was a comedy show for a YT video. I started to rig out my own trailer guide posts but canned it all and just learned how to navigate the boat and judge the wind and tide when coming in to dock. I did cheat for a while with a boat hook to grab at a cleat but I haven't used it in probably 2 years.

Things I learned: Slow is Pro - Never Faster Than Willing To Hit Something - Drop The Bimini - Kill The Radio Distraction - Note Wind & Tide - Practice Makes It Easier.

Guides would be nice for me if I had a competent person able to disembark from the boat and drive the trailer into position while I idled. But when solo, the process of coming, tying up, fetching the trailer, untying and driving up and then disembarking from inside the boat is probably a bit slower.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@Babin Farms has it right on. I had bunk guides on my LX210, and although they did well on shallow angle ramps, they failed on deeper ramps, and were often invisible. The benefits to the posts is that they can be seen easily.

You definitely want post covers as most posts are PVC - and pvc and gelgoat don't like each other .... the PVC rubs off and leaves white lines on the hull (ask me how I know! LOL).

Last edited:

DiggerPA

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
@biffdotorg has the VeVe 65", which I like that they have the extra support at the bend, and have covers available. Any one else have some they like that I should consider.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@biffdotorg has the VeVe 65", which I like that they have the extra support at the bend, and have covers available. Any one else have some they like that I should consider.
I had 65” VeVe guides on my previous trailer. They are 100x better than the CE smiths that came on my current boat trailer. That being said, they still work just fine for as infrequently that I trailer our boat these days.

Farny

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Centurion
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Should bunks be loose where you can move them a bit by hand? My wife always backs the trailer in and receives the boat ( she’s scared to navigate the boat on to the trailer. I asked her to wipe down the bunks before backing in. She mentioned they were fairly loose. I haven’t checked them myself, nor am I sure what they should be like - tight or some play?

any advice?

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Depending on your trailer, they might "rotate". It feels like they float when you deep in the water. As long they are secure and the boat sits properly you should be okay. My bunks are static on the boat, but rather loose on the jetski.

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Should bunks be loose where you can move them a bit by hand? My wife always backs the trailer in and receives the boat ( she’s scared to navigate the boat on to the trailer. I asked her to wipe down the bunks before backing in. She mentioned they were fairly loose. I haven’t checked them myself, nor am I sure what they should be like - tight or some play?

any advice?
My bunks pivot freely as well.

OP I bought the 65” Veve guides and then just cut them down some after I figured out I didn’t need them that long anywhere I go.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
On my MFI trailer the fixed hull bunk brackets were bolted/screwed to the carpet covered wooden bunk. They were rigid and did not pivot on the trailer. The VEVE guides have a PVC pipe covering the square metal guide pole. When the PVC pipes are used in conjunction with the padded covers, the pipes with covers will roll vertically against the rub rail of the boat, not drag, by design.

kgower

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SE
Boat Length

WV Hillbilly

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
+1 on the VeVe with covers in the wind and current on a 2021 195S

jdkaeser

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
I have a 195S and the other thing I would say is don't get the trailer too deep in the water. Most videos I've watched say to have the fender stick out a couple inches above the water. That is too deep! That is the problem I had, you definitely want to pull it forward so the hull of the boat engages the bunks and centers you up and you should have to power on "slightly" to get the bow up. If you can get the bow all the way to the roller without powering it on, you are too deep. The boat will also wander like crazy if the bottom bunks aren't engaged. Another hot tip, take the bimini down before loading, it's like a sail in the wind!

I added posts with covers to my trailer and it helps, especially nice when the trailer is empty to have a reference that you can see when backing up.

Goosechase

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
I agonized over 65” vs 40” and went with the 40” for a 19’ boat. Could not be happier with the height. I have never needed them to be longer, and if they are too high they can get in the way of ropes.